CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

How stable is DVD-RAM with packet writing software? Slow burning in FAT32!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1470 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> How stable is DVD-RAM with packet writing software? Slow burning in FAT32! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How stable is DVD-RAM with packet writing software? Slo... - 1/26/2006 6:47:34 AM   
Lemon Juice

I've bought a DVD-RAM capable writer and would like to use DVD-RAM discs for backups. The problem is that when I format the dics in FAT32 then writing small files is VERY slow, writing each one file takes at least 1 second no matter how small it is. You can imagine how many hours it will take to backup a folder containing thousands of files even if they take up as little as 1 MB altogether. Of course I can zip them into one file but this is not that convenient. I have discovered that formatting the disc in UDF with InCD or Data-Add solves this problem and small files are written very fast. But I have heard a lot about packet writing software being unreliable for CD-RW/DVD+RW - what is the case with DVD-RAM? Will it make my back-ups less reliable if I use packet writing software for UDF format instead of the Windows native FAT32 support? I'm not happy with a prospect of spending hours to do a single backup procedure!
Post #: 1
RE: How stable is DVD-RAM with packet writing software?... - 1/31/2006 4:00:29 AM   
emperor

You can use either UDF or FAT32, UDF is prefered. The reason writing speed is so slow is that the drive makes writing/reading/verifying/writing/reading/etc...

A good idea is to get at least a 5X DVD-RAM enabled drive

(in reply to Lemon Juice)
Post #: 2
RE: How stable is DVD-RAM with packet writing software?... - 1/31/2006 9:55:56 AM   
Antonio

I wouldn't try using InCD...there are not a few times in the past that the PC messed up. Better Nero Burning Rom.

According to cdrinfo's reviews with DVD-RAM drives a full disc needs close to 28min when burning at 5X.

salute proffessionista!

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> How stable is DVD-RAM with packet writing software? Slow burning in FAT32! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI