CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Differences please!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1997 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> Differences please! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Differences please! - 12/10/2005 5:33:53 PM   
Sherivchenko

Hi all, I don't know so much about PCs components and I wanna bye one, so I'd like to ask about the differences between somethings that I don't know
(1) Is there a difference between DDR1 and DDR2 other that their size?,  I'm gonna bye an AMD processor that supports only DDR1 ... is that a problem?
(2) Differences between Mainboards with 939 & 754 pins .... is one better than other for now and for future as well? 
(3) Differences between K7 AMD and K8 AMD
finaly ..... I can't find some kinds of RAMs such as GSkill and Corsair, are Kingstone good ones?
thanx in progress.
Post #: 1
RE: Differences please! - 12/10/2005 6:30:23 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hi and welcome!

About your questions...

(1) DDR2 offers higher frequencies (speed) than DDR1....also...it operates at lower voltages (1.8V vs. 2.5V (DDR1))....and many other new features... Some of them you can find HERE.... I know that AMD supports only DDR1 (at least it did - maybe some latest boards also support DDR2...I am not sure about it)...so I dont think this should be a problem...AMD Cpu's are still faster in gaming and some other tasks when compared to Intel ones,  although they use DDR1! So I wouldnt worry much if i were you...

(2) Socket 939 is latest and offers great upgradation for future as well....
     S754 = (Single Channel Memory Controller, 64bit, HTT 1600Mhz Full Duplex, SOI, 130nm)
     S939 = (Dual Channel Memory Controller, 128bit, HTT 2000Mhz Full Duplex, SOI, 90nm, 130nm)

Especially Memory Bandwidth would be great (almost doubled) if u go with S939. S754 however is ok for gaming but it has no future.I highly suggest you to get S939 as you can upgrade to upcoming processors.

I copied the above statements from THIS forum (read more about differences if you like)...

(3) K7 = 32bit      K8=64bit... Well there is more....so check it out for yourself HERE...

Well thats it for now...I hope i provide you at least basic information about your questions....and I hope some other will be able to give you even more details...Good luck and enjoy....

SF.

(in reply to Sherivchenko)
Post #: 2
[Deleted] - 12/10/2005 7:54:38 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
  Post #: 3
RE: Differences please! - 12/11/2005 10:09:46 AM   
SithTracy

Socket 939, perhaps even further, I suggest an nForce4 chipset (it does not need to be SLI... the Ultra is fine).  I am not impressed with the recent VIA offerings for AMD.  nVidia is the king right now.

AMD does not have DDR2 support (with current CPU's), but it does not matter.  The memory controller is integrated in the CPU and can do more with DDR than Intel can with DDR2.

My recomendation for RAM is Corsair or GSKILL.

(in reply to Sherivchenko)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> Differences please! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI