CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

NEC ND-6500 Firmware HELP!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1657 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> NEC ND-6500 Firmware HELP! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NEC ND-6500 Firmware HELP! - 10/2/2005 3:58:57 AM   
dtaelon

I need some help.  So, I'll try and be as clear as possible.

(Aside from the very first firmware change, all remaining FW changes were done on a desktop PC with adpater)

- I have the NEC ND-6500 slim drive for my Dell c840 Latitude running the 2.23 firmware.
- I made a very stupid move in a hasty double-click and updated the firmware to 4.24 instead of 2.24.
- The laptop would not recognize the DVD drive nor the harddrive as long as the DVD was attached.
- The laptop refused to recognize the drive even if I disconnected the harddrive.
- I reinstalled the CD drive in the DELL I had originally replaced with ND-6500.
- So, I ordered the slimline adapter and was able to boot the ND-6500 attached to the desktop.
- I read the entire 16 page forum on the topic and tried a 2.23 firmware change through windows
- The process hung for 10 minutes and I rebooted. No change to the drive...
- I tried DOS booting and updated with Reverse ATA 6500Boot.bat (had to use manual routine)
- The drive booted with ND-6100 0.01 Firmware, would not eject, and constantly flashed the LED.
- The 6500Main.bat code gave me error "Firmware not changed correctly."
- Surprisingly, I was then able to upgrade to 2.23 firmware through windows and reboot.
- I tried the drive in the laptop and still no recognition and the same problem as above after my 4.24 mistake.
- I then tried Normal ATA package and got a message saying the drive is already Normal ATA.
- At this point I tried to test whether I could update to any 2.xx firmware and check if the current FW was corrupt
- I tried 2.24, 2.23 back and forth at least three times, and had no problems changing the firmware.
- However, the laptop refuses to see the drive in the BIOS and will not allow the HDD to boot if the drive is attached
- Also, hotswapping freezes the laptop

So, what's the problem?

Obviously I changed the bootcode in the firmware from cable select to something that forces the drive to behave in a particular manner.  No matter where I attach the drive on the IDE cable, it shows up as master in the BIOS.  Since, I want to be able to use the drive in the laptop - the reason for its purchase and something I am unable to do at this point - I would really appreciate some help.

Is there any code that will return the drive to the original factory firmware?  If not, then where did the original 6500boot.bat and 6500main.bat code come from?  I believe that if the cable select code exists, as I have read it does but has not neeb found, then someone out there surely must know where to get it.  I would really really appreciate any help in finding this code.  I know I screwed up and you can laugh at me all you want, but I'm still left with a laptop drive that I can only use in my desktop. At best, I will find a slimline drive enclosure and try using the drive as a portable drive - but only as a last resort.

If anyone can help, you have my sincerest thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
"Feels like cr@p for wasting money"
Post #: 1
RE: NEC ND-6500 Firmware HELP! - 10/2/2005 1:18:09 PM   
tqhoang

Well now that your drive is a Master, you need to switch it back to a Slave before connecting it to the laptop.  I think you need to use the Reverse firmware and then flash the 4.24 firmware.

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/6500/

M$ Windows XP SP2
ASUS A7V8X BIOS 1015.003
AthlonXP Barton 3000+
NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT AGP
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Fw FS0J
NEC ND-2100A@2510A Fw 2.0A
NEC ND-6750A Fw 2.42
NEC AD-7170A Fw 1.O4
Plextor Premium Fw 1.07
Plextor PX-716UF Fw 1.11

(in reply to dtaelon)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> NEC ND-6500 Firmware HELP! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI