CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Success in Using Your DVD+RW disc Just Like a HD?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1658 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> Success in Using Your DVD+RW disc Just Like a HD? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Success in Using Your DVD+RW disc Just Like a HD? - 8/8/2003 6:17:33 AM   
Paul Cao

Hi,

I have problems with my InCD packet writing s/w version 3.5.19.2. and couldn't get much help so far. I like to repost the question in a general way hoping to hear your own setup experience.

(1) I was UNSUCCESSFUL in using the InCD packet writing version 3.5 to backup multiple files (or large dir containing multiple files) to my NEC DVD+RW disc. After the window-copy started for a few seconds, everything became frozen and the process stalled. I have seeked for help as what was causing the problem but got no direct answer for that. So, my alternative and general question would be:

"Have you been able to successfully backup large amount of data (say 100 Mbytes and more) to your DVD+RW disc in ONE shot (i.e. one window copy execution) uisng InCD packet writing just like backing up to a second harddrive? (I mean selecting and copying all files in one shot instead of copying a few files here and there over a period of time)" If so, could you share with us what packet s/w you use and/or its version? Your comments/inputs will be very much appreciated

(2) My goal is simple. I try to find a reliable s/w that allows me to backup data from my hard-drive to my DVD+RW disc just as if I am dragging/dropping them from the H/D to another H/D. Drag-and-drop here means I can easily delete/add a few files now and then without having to erase the whole disc and re-write all files again. I thought that's what InCD packet writing is supposed to do but I ran into problem as described.
Post #: 1
RE: Success in Using Your DVD+RW disc Just Like a HD? - 8/8/2003 1:52:37 PM   
sp

My 1 and 1/2 cents on this is: never use packet writing if read-back reliability and data sensitivity is of primary consern. Even MtRainier is not enough for this type of jobs. DVD-RAM is certainly here the only viably option, but not a widespread one...

WM # CI

(in reply to Paul Cao)
Post #: 2
RE: Success in Using Your DVD+RW disc Just Like a HD? - 8/8/2003 8:29:39 PM   
dburg

I just wish to add that DVD-RAM support will be added to InCD 4 soon. Oups, I did a spoiler.

But here, the problem seems to be a software bug rather than a data-corruption error from the device. As I can't help with InCD 3.5 but I can do it for InCD 4, I suggest to give a try to version 4.

Btw, to reply to the original question of "Success in Using Your DVD+RW disc Just Like a HD?", I confirm that myself I have been able to copy 4 Gb of various data to a DVD+RW using a automatic tool with data verification after writting. The copy-compare-delete-copy again test ran several days without error before been manually interrupted.

David Burg
Software Development,
InCD Project Leader

Nero AG
Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad
Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299

email: dburg@nero.com
http://www.nero.com

(in reply to Paul Cao)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> Success in Using Your DVD+RW disc Just Like a HD? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI