CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Errors after hardware upgrade   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1659 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Errors after hardware upgrade Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Errors after hardware upgrade - 6/17/2003 5:14:27 PM   
fatbanana

Hi!

I upgraded my PC recently, and after that my Samsung SW-248B started to produce errors on the burned CDs.
I usually find about 5-15 different bits in the files on the burned CD (I'm using 'fc /b' to compare the files). Some CDs are burned correctly.
Burning speed does not matter, I tested it from 8x to x32.

There were no errors with my old computer (Celeron 400, slow HDD, not using DMA, some BX motherboard).

Now I have ATA133 HDD, Athlon 2.2 XP, and KT-400 based Gigabyte motherboard.
The burner is mounted as a secondary master, the HDD is a primary master, I also have Pioneer DVD drive mounted as a secondary slave. All devices work in the DMA mode.
I use NERO to burn the CDs, my OS is Windows 2000.

Does anyone know what could be the possible source of the problem?
How can this be fixed?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Errors after hardware upgrade - 6/18/2003 12:54:39 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

when you burn a CD, does burnproof activate at all? as in, does the red light turn orange at all while the burn is in process?

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to fatbanana)
Post #: 2
RE: Errors after hardware upgrade - 6/18/2003 11:52:50 AM   
sp

I have encountered 4 times this incident.

In 2 cases, there was a faulty cable. Please try using one certified for the bus speed being used by your drive as configured in Bios and System Manager.

In one case it was a scratched surfase of a motherboard. This occured during the installation of a card from a screw driver.

In another case this was due to a mystery. I just changed motherboard.
(Perhaps a compination of the previous 2 cases...)

WM # CI

(in reply to fatbanana)
Post #: 3
RE: Errors after hardware upgrade - 6/18/2003 2:22:59 PM   
fatbanana

Hi!

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, burnproof is activated (nero shows it in the log, the LED is red througout the burning process). The cables are also OK (I hope, they came with the motherboard).

Anyway, seems like the problem is solved. I figured out that the only difference between the old and new setup is that now the burner is working in the DMA mode, so I turned the DMA off (now it's in PIO mode) and it's working fine (6 cds burned with no differences).

I still have no idea what caused the situation, since my writer supportd DMA (it's written on the manufacturer's page).

(in reply to fatbanana)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Errors after hardware upgrade Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI