CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

write-protected CD-R   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1575 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> write-protected CD-R Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
write-protected CD-R - 9/10/2006 5:38:25 PM   
usman ghani

how can i burn a CD-R to be wite-protected(need a password to open burned cd data)?please reply me thanks a lot
Post #: 1
RE: write-protected CD-R - 9/10/2006 8:09:36 PM   
SithTracy

You would need a supported Plextor Drive and SecuREC enabled... other than that, you can't.

I suggest creating a 650-700MB TrueCrypt FAT16 container and burning that to the disc, then mount the image with the Open Source TrueCrypt product in read only mode...  You might also want to burn the TrueCrypt application on the disc as well and write a batch file to make it accessible... should be a piece of cake.  I use TrueCrypt in traverller mode on USB flash drives.  You can password lock them as well as use a key file.

WONDERFUL APPLICATION!!!!  Currently available for Windows and Linux with a Mac flavor in the works.  They also have an excellent forum.  Best part about about it is that it is free... and open sourced!!!

(in reply to usman ghani)
Post #: 2
RE: write-protected CD-R - 9/12/2006 5:33:22 AM   
alexmacris

Hi friend! You can also try Ricoh's EncryptEase, read more here

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: write-protected CD-R - 10/1/2007 3:05:40 PM   
milosshomi

Salute,

In reviews of Plextor products it is written that Secure Recording is possible on CD-R disc's. Business Card CD is based on CD-R technology. Is it possible to Secure Record a Business Card CD? Dimensions of Business Card are 85x61 mm, storage capacity is 6 minutes of CD audio, that is 40-60MB of data storage. I am willing to by Plextor PX-755UF. So my question is: Can i use Plextor PX-755UF to write and password protect Business Card CD?

Best regards,

Shomi
Post #: 4
RE: write-protected CD-R - 10/1/2007 4:23:57 PM   
SithTracy

Plextor is no longer making their own drives and have pretty much taken themselves out of the optical recording market.  In order to encyprt the data you need PlextTools Pro (which, you probably guessed, is a product in it's twilight).  If you encrypt a disc with SecuREC whoever you send the data to will need to decrypt it with PlexTools (and they will need a Plextor supported drive) or the SecuViewer... This limits you to Windows XP/2000... I'm not sure it was ever certified for Vista.

LG recently added encryption to burning, though it is only with a couple models and you need Nero Burning ROM... Frankly neither Plextor or LG's product impresses me.  If you want to secure data on a optical disc, consider TrueCrypt (open source), PKZIP with AES, 7-Zip (open source), or OpenPGP (Gnu Privacy Guard, which is open source).

(in reply to milosshomi)
Post #: 5
RE: write-protected CD-R - 10/1/2007 6:19:03 PM   
milosshomi

If i make a container with TrueCrypt that is 30MB and fill it with 10MB and then burnt it on a CD-R. Will i be able to refill it with new data, with out having to make a new container that i will have to burn once again? If i cant, than this is the problem I need to solve. I need a password protected CD-R that i can fill existing folders (burned folders). Let's say I made a container with 2 folders and I burned it on a CD-R. Will i be able to fill those folders with new data ( multi session burning ), with out making the same container with those same two folders with new data in them ( with out burning a new container on the CD-R )

Best regards,

Shomi

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 6
RE: write-protected CD-R - 10/1/2007 6:27:15 PM   
SithTracy

You will not be able to add to your container on the CD if that is what you mean... but, you can pull the container off your CD (assuming it is 650-700MB), add to it and burn it to a new session.  I do that in batch with CDRWIN's command line tools.

(in reply to milosshomi)
Post #: 7
RE: write-protected CD-R - 10/1/2007 6:49:31 PM   
milosshomi

I am burning a Business Card CD that is 40-60MB (based on a CD-R just smaller capacity). And i will need all the free space that i can get. That is the main reasons I need to fill the existing folders. I think that Plextor's SecuREC will solve my problem. But their review said that Secure Recording can be preformed on a CD-R. I don't know one thing: Will it password protect a Business Card CD ( it is a CD-R only smaller capacity). So if you can help me with this question, my problem is solved

--
Shomi

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 8
RE: write-protected CD-R - 10/1/2007 7:17:03 PM   
SithTracy

Sorry... Never wasted my time on proprietary technology.  I use TrueCrypt and Gnu Privacy Guard (OpenPGP) for my encryption needs.  Since true Plextor drives are no longer made (the last were the PX-755 and PX-760) and PlexTools is no longer developed I am suggesting you search for other options if this is a ongoing need.

(in reply to milosshomi)
Post #: 9
RE: write-protected CD-R - 10/1/2007 7:20:50 PM   
milosshomi

Thanx friend !!!

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> write-protected CD-R Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI