CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

question about creating an image   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1205 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> question about creating an image Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
question about creating an image - 12/29/2006 11:24:20 AM   
thebuilder0

I just created an image of a cd and everything went fine. My question is that on the home pc I use it took 6+ hours. When I done the same process on my wifes pc it only took 15-20 minutes!! And on the toshiba laptop 15-20 minutes!! Any ideas why it took sooo much longer on my pc??
Post #: 1
RE: question about creating an image - 12/29/2006 12:11:44 PM   
SithTracy

Not without first getting some information about your PC... I suspect you don't have DMA enabled on your optical drive.  Check your IDE channels in the Windows Device Manager and see if it is set to DMA or PIO mode.  PIO is very slow for optical drives.

(in reply to thebuilder0)
Post #: 2
RE: question about creating an image - 12/29/2006 12:27:00 PM   
thebuilder0

it says , current transfer rate "Ultra DMA mode 2"

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: question about creating an image - 12/29/2006 12:43:25 PM   
SithTracy

What kind of drive, what type of disc, and what software are you using?  Also provide some details about your system.

Post #: 4
RE: question about creating an image - 12/29/2006 3:07:12 PM   
thebuilder0

OK,  The pc ..Amd athlon 4800  dual core, Seagate 300 ultra ata HD, ASUS A8N-VM CSM board, 2 gb Ultra PC3200 DDR400, BenQ DW1650 optical drive, winxp home, IE7 browser...thanks 
The reason I made an image of the cd-rom was to eliminate having to insert the disk every time we use it. I used Circle Virtual CD to do this and it worked great.
the difference in the times concerns me.......thanks again  

< Message edited by thebuilder0 -- 12/29/2006 3:14:44 PM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 5
RE: question about creating an image - 12/29/2006 3:36:55 PM   
SithTracy

The system is not a problem... What virus scanner are you using?  I have never used the software you reference and never use any virtual optical drives... I'll do my best to help... originally I thought you were creating iso images for buring using a tool like IsoBuster or ImgBurn.

What kind of data is on this cd that you would need to access it as an optical drive mount?

Post #: 6
RE: question about creating an image - 12/29/2006 3:55:22 PM   
thebuilder0

the cd is Comptons complete interactive Bible, the program would install but when you open it later it would tell you to insert disk. cannot use program without the disk inserted. Upon search came up with circle virtual cd, which works. Tried several things to install but to no avail.
I use Avast for virus protection but it's on the other machines also.....

< Message edited by thebuilder0 -- 12/29/2006 3:57:26 PM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 7
RE: question about creating an image - 12/29/2006 4:47:12 PM   
SithTracy

Does it only need to access the path, if so you can copy the cd contents to a folder on your hard drive (i.e. C:\Comptons_Bible) and create a virtual root with the SUBST command:

subst Y: "C:\Comptons_Bible\"

and when prompted, put Y: (or whatever you want) as the path to the files.  There is also TrueCrypt than put the data in an encrypted file and you can mount it to a drive letter with a GUI.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> question about creating an image Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI