CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Combo DVD will not read CDs anymore   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1559 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> Combo DVD will not read CDs anymore Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combo DVD will not read CDs anymore - 12/17/2006 4:23:32 AM   
sonarmark

My HP laptop is less than a year old, I have a great warranty plan, however, I am in the Navy and will be at sea for months to come.

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place for this post but if anyone has suggestions I would appreaciate it very much. My play the HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N plays and writes DVDs with the best of them. When I insert a CD no matter what format it will not recognize the disk, no error messages just the light falsshing for a while and then it turns off.

My intial thoughts and what I have done so far.

I deleted my drivers for my DVD/CDR and rebooted with no resolve.
I wonder if it could be a registry problem? I am not very good with regedit and usually prefer to not mess with it.
I am considering backing up the autoexec and config sys files and then remove all CD info and try rebooting.
From my searches so far online it seems that I may have to just purchase an external drive and use it.

I hope some one has suggestions, being that this is a relatively new computer and drive I expect there will be many more of these posts or posts like it.

Thanks in advance for whatever assistance you can provide.

Mark

"A Ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ship's are built for."
Post #: 1
RE: Combo DVD will not read CDs anymore - 12/17/2006 4:52:44 AM   
SithTracy

Sounds like a lemon, but you could try updating the firmware to see if you have any luck...  Here is a link to The Firmware Page...  Search around there... looks like there is only one available for your drive.

(in reply to sonarmark)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> Combo DVD will not read CDs anymore Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI