CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

WHY Packet write   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1336 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> WHY Packet write Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WHY Packet write - 1/23/2004 12:58:53 PM   
daf52

y dont! u use mulitsession on cdrw then wen u got it rite then burn 2 cdr. i have found Packet writing software screws me system up and it does'nt matter wich soft i install
Post #: 1
RE: WHY Packet write - 1/23/2004 10:49:35 PM   
cabob

I use a plain cd and multifunction with NTI. Copies just like packet with no problems.

(in reply to daf52)
Post #: 2
RE: WHY Packet write - 1/23/2004 10:51:08 PM   
cabob

I use a plain cd and multisession with NTI. Copies just like packet with no problems.I think Nero will do the same thing

(in reply to daf52)
Post #: 3
RE: WHY Packet write - 2/17/2004 10:27:08 PM   
dburg

The purpose of packet-writing on rewritable media is to better you the space offered. With multi-session, if you suppress an existing file when writing a new session, you do not re-gain the space of this file. With packet-writing on RW media, you regain this space. The problem with multi-session recording is that once your disc is full, you have to erase all the content to be able to use it again. With packet writing, you can select what you want to delete.

Also, with multi-session you waste medium space for multiple start and end of track (several dozen of Mb on a CD if I remember correctly). With packet writing you have a single track on the medium.

Basicaly, the concept behind is that multi-session is a write-once technology. You burn, it's here, for ever. The packet-writing is a random-access (non-sequential), rewritable, technology. You write, you delete, you move, ...

The problem with packet writing is that it is quite more complex than the sequential writing approach of multi-sessions. Additionally, CD mastering (eg., multi-session recording) is possible in a pure user mode application (Nero for instance does not require any driver on an NT/2k/XP system to burn). Packet-writing is implemented as a file-system driver. Yes, a driver, something that runs in kernel mode.

If you trigger a bug in a CD mastering application, you will likely loose the work you where doing in this application, and maybe the access to your device. But your system is still responding. If you trigger a bug in a packet-writing driver, you are likely to screw your entire system. You don't want to do that, do you?

Well, with InCD 4, Ahead Software attempted to take steps:

- in all NT system, most of the driver work is done at user level thanks to a technological innovation (which I will not detail, no no, I won't tell you the magic). This mean that if you trigger a bug, you are likely to cause trouble to user mode part of the driver. You don't screw your all system, but InCD will be disabled until you restart your computer.
- there is still a reduced size driver part (Windows operating system architecture does not allow pure-user mode drivers :-/). To better track bugs in this part, especially the bugs that occurs to you, our users, Ahead is working together with Microsoft in the Windows Error Report program. These are the reports you sent to Microsoft when your system or an application crash under Windows XP (and newer).

(As this post is getting really long I will stop here - probably some people wants to add comments.)

David Burg
Software Development,
InCD Project Leader

Nero AG
Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad
Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299

email: dburg@nero.com
http://www.nero.com

(in reply to daf52)
Post #: 4
RE: WHY Packet write - 2/18/2004 9:35:51 PM   
sp

For me this is an excellent (and educating) exposition.

WM # CI

(in reply to daf52)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> WHY Packet write Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI