CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Modchip!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1682 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other] >> Game consoles >> Modchip! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modchip! - 6/24/2003 5:03:06 PM   
jerrry135

Hey, i just got a a dvd burner because all of my old PS2 games were about to bite the dust. I backed them up as i was told i would be able to do. Problem is now i hear i need to get a modchip. I'm sorry if i sound a little uninformed, but i was, very. Where can i get a good modchip that doesn't require opening up my PS2. Does anyone know of one that DEFINETLY works?

Thanks you for the help
Jerry
Post #: 1
RE: Modchip! - 6/24/2003 5:29:21 PM   
rompax

Assuming that modifying your ps2 console is legal in your country if you want a good result you must take the screws out of your ps2
I am sure that there is a modchip that connected to your ps2 console in the USB port,you can plug and unplug it whenever you want although I don’t remember the modchip name I know that its not the best solution for you, basically cause of the compatibility with the games.
On the other hand in case you decide to open your ps2 a very good solution is messiah.
You will be able to play any backup cd and dvd game without compatibility problems and it doesn’t affect the very sensitive ps2 laser and last but not least your dvd will be region free.
The main problem is that you must be very experienced to fit the messiah modchip in your console
Always remember that modifying your ps2 is at your own risk.

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 2
RE: Modchip! - 6/24/2003 7:05:54 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I don't know any country that outlaws modchips, but I do know that every Electronic Boutique will tell you they are illegal! They *WILL* however void any warrenty you have.

I remember when I went to a mall, and asked at an electronic boutique if they could install a modchip in my Playstation 1 (not PS1), they told me no, because it is illegal. So I went to the second floor almost right ontop of the E.B. store, and asked again at a place called Dreambase (mainly revolving around the Dreamcast). $50.00 (canadian) later and approx 24 hours and my Playstation was happily modded, and now I can play my japanese imports (This was about 3 years ago)

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 3
RE: Modchip! - 6/26/2003 3:25:09 PM   
kokos

I am really confused about the modchip legacy.
I thought that modifying my console is not illegal, its mine and I can do whatever I want to.
I checked a web site few days ago and I got surprised with the legal notice that the web site is surrendered to U.S. law enforcement pursuant to a federal prosecution and felony plea agreement for conspiracy to violate criminal copyright laws. What was illegal?
In case of usa dutes the only reason to modify your console is to be able to play pirate games.
You could visit the site and buy a modchip for playstation and Xbox but not any more
So, if it’s legal to modifying your Xbox why they arrest these guys?

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 4
RE: Modchip! - 6/26/2003 4:00:56 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

hrm, good question! what website was that?

http://www.modchip.com/ is still open and selling modchips though

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 5
RE: Modchip! - 6/26/2003 4:13:01 PM   
kokos

I know a lot of sites selling modchips but
these quys were busted
www.isonews.com

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 6
RE: Modchip! - 6/26/2003 4:50:56 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I think the owners of the website got scared and made a plea bargain. This allows the U.S. government to set a precedent for future cases, and the people involved don't have to pay huge legal fees like they would if they had fought it. Legally speaking you have the right to make 1 backup of your tapes/movies/games for personal use (only). This is your right, and not illegal. Making copies of stuff you don't own, or selling copies of things *IS* illegal though.

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 7
RE: Modchip! - 9/1/2003 11:44:55 PM   
dragon456

I found on modchip.com something called a "slide card". It supposedly works for backups, but I've only had a successful run with the japanese version of final fantasy X-2. It's a much cheaper option than other mod chips and you don't void the warranty, as the front plate of the drive is the only thing removed.

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 8
RE: Modchip! - 9/2/2003 11:05:46 PM   
coasterking

hi
just wondering what country u are in
i know that here in the uk u cant get sveral types of mod chips both internal and external all the internal ones will play both cdr and dvdr- backups np theres an external mod called the neo-key or sbox but it will only play cdr back ups
i hope this helps

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 9
RE: Modchip! - 9/3/2003 2:41:54 AM   
MP3Mogul

I think perhaps he is in the USA

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 10
RE: Modchip! - 9/3/2003 10:11:19 PM   
dragon456

Yeah, US. I think that modchip.com only ships to US and Canada anyway, so sorry if it doesn't help you out.

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 11
RE: Modchip! - 10/26/2003 6:03:49 AM   
pnonso

I do not know of any external mod chips that will let you play back- ups of your games, but I have heard of a few that will let you play imports.

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 12
RE: Modchip! - 10/26/2003 6:05:41 AM   
pnonso

Oh and I highly doubt it is illegal to put a mod chip in your ps2 (in the U.S.A. at least)

(in reply to jerrry135)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Other] >> Game consoles >> Modchip! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote