CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK DVD-R 8x -- return drive or keep?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1248 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK DVD-R 8x -- return drive or keep? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK DVD-... - 7/26/2005 5:43:05 PM   
nsurg

I have been using my new liteon 1693s drive from newegg for a week or so by now.  I have flashed it to the newest firmware, and the newest version of nero downloaded from their site a few days ago.  My media is the TDK DVD-R 8x purchased from costco (convenience sake).

I was backing up my DVDs last night and the first 3 went very well, no coasters.

Lo and behold my power went out at home for a mere second, and the computer rebooted--I think it was not writing with the Liteon drive at the time, and was likely reading the source DVD from my old DVD drive.

Since then I have tried to burn that DVD to the Liteon drive but get this "Power calibration error" twice with nero, then once I got a "write error", and my last attempt at the burn gave a lockup.  The power calibration errors failed to burn anything; the write error quit after 10% of the disc was burned at a downgraded 4x speed (same disc that originally got a power calibration error), and a second disc crashed after 40% was burned at a try at 8x speed (this disc also earlier got a power calibration error).

Three questions:
--How reliable are TDK DVD-R 8x discs? (I looked up the specific type once and someone had it in a large comparison and put it in the top category of DVD medias).
--could a power outtage have ruined my drive, even though it was not writing or being accessed at the time?
--Should I just keep trying new blank discs and assume it's bad media, or when should I throw in the towel and return the drive?

Sorry for a newbe question.
Post #: 1
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 7/27/2005 1:11:37 AM   
scorpio

Did you burn any other disk after that ?
If you not, try with some other media, 'cause you'll never burn THAT disk with your LiteON.
If LiteON want burn other disks - return drive.

Only TOOL

(in reply to nsurg)
Post #: 2
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 7/27/2005 4:17:58 AM   
emperor

probably an in-compatibility of the LiteON SOHW-1693S with the specific media, can you tell us the MID of the used TDK media?

(in reply to scorpio)
Post #: 3
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 7/27/2005 4:59:39 AM   
Iggy

Since you have the latest firmware then better to go for a different media brand. Check CDRinfo's review about this burner to see which media reported the better quality with your burner.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 4
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 7/27/2005 11:26:57 AM   
nsurg

My TDK DVD-R 8x media is TTG02.
I tried another (this would be the third) fresh blank, and received a "power calibration error" after about a minute of drive wind-up that involved a constant mechanical buzzing (and sometimes clicking) sound from the drive.  I didn't remember that sound from before with the first 3 burns that worked.

I tried nero's "benchmark" utility and received a "write error" 2 times in a row with the above disc.

The drive still plays and reads discs apparently OK.  However, when I tried to burn a simple CD-ROM it again did the continuous buzzing noise and nero never burned anything to the disc (it simply locked up).

Any additional thoughts?  I'm beginning to think the drive is garbage based on the CD burn also failing.

< Message edited by nsurg -- 7/27/2005 11:44:01 AM >

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 5
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 7/28/2005 1:34:35 AM   
Iggy

This drive is definately not compatible with those media.

(in reply to nsurg)
Post #: 6
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 7/28/2005 1:42:16 AM   
scorpio

I'll also change root of NERO TEMP file to particion with most free space and check ASPI.
But, like Iggy says, drive is definately not compatible with those media.

Only TOOL

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 7
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 7/28/2005 1:48:04 PM   
nsurg

Iggy, do you say there is an incompatibility based on the problems I encountered or based on other people's problems with this media/drive combo?  Just curious. 

I was surprised to see about 4 perfect burns and then everything start to fail.  I somehow wonder if the power outtage to my home ruined the drive, since it began making such odd noises constantly.  It also will not burn onto plain CD-R media, and it is media that never had a problem with my cheap old CD-RW drive.

I actually sent the drive back yesterday for an exchange while I still had the chance (I will be out of town soon and when I return the 30-day return will have expired).

Can anybody suggest a good media to buy???  Or even better, a reliable place online to buy it for a fair price?  I have searched forums, but I would love a suggestion for a reliable vendor and type.

Thanks for your assistance!

(in reply to scorpio)
Post #: 8
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 7/29/2005 1:29:00 AM   
Iggy

According to your problems I assumed that there is an incompatibility. Its obvious.

You could try a different media and if everything was ok then you could kept your drive. Anyway since you was able to change it this is definately better.

As soon as you receive the new one try to burn the same media and please tell us the result.

(in reply to nsurg)
Post #: 9
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 8/9/2005 3:31:29 PM   
nsurg

Well, a replacement drive was indeed the solution.
Just received my new 1693s replacement from newegg today, and plugged it in with 2 for 2 on initial DVD burning using that same TDK media.  Plus there were no bizarre noises from the drive this time.  I still wonder how I broke it?

Thanks for your input!

By the way, I notice that a new firmware version was released at their website yesterday, for those of you who have this drive.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 10
RE: new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK ... - 8/10/2005 1:18:55 AM   
scorpio

Update your drive also.

Only TOOL

(in reply to nsurg)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> new liteon 1693s power calibration error with TDK DVD-R 8x -- return drive or keep? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI