CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1422 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 8/30/2001 12:30:38 PM   
dmaniac

somebody please help me get started.
I would like to capture video from my sony hi8 camcorder and convert into vcd or svcd so i can view it on my compatible dvd player.
I researched it quite a bit already but want to make sure i'm doing it right.
i converted the captured avi file into mpeg2 then convert the mpeg2 file to vcd but in the end the quality was horrible and got worse as i continued to convert. is there a software that will capture and convert into vcd and svcd without loosing the video and audio quality so i can view it on my dvd player? who out there knows.
help me out guys.

Post #: 1
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/1/2001 12:51:59 AM   
Steve C

Hello DManiac,
There are numerous sites that you can look at on the web with good information. Try http://www.cdrfaq.org/ for a start. What I have done is to use an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon Card to capture the video from my VHS camcorder. The software that comes with it has a setting for vcd and compresses it into a vcd compliant mpg format on the fly. Then I use Roxio's Easy cd creator 5 platinum edition to burn the vcd's. I had an HP 9110i burner that made vcd's on cdrw's that were barely passable on my jvc dvd player. The cdr's had way too many skips to be watchable. I just replaced my burner with a plextor 24X and it makes vcd's even on cheap cdr's that look flawless on the jvc dvd player. The first few vcd's I burned wouldn't play at all on the jvc. Then I discovered that if I turned off the burn proof I could use cdr's instead of cdrw's, burn at full speed and they played perfectly. The dvd players are very sensitive to errors and obviously don't have the sort of error correction available on a pc system. If you can get some sort of picture with cdr's, many people have reported that you may get better results with cdrw's burned at 2x or even 1x. Then again, a new burner has made all the difference for me. Remember, you might have to turn off the Burn-Proof to get them to work at all.

Steve

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 2
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/3/2001 5:34:37 PM   
DJPJ

Just have a look at the tutorials at www.vcdhelp.com , it helped me to creat some very high quality svcd's.

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 3
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/10/2001 6:30:07 PM   
Tony Iommi

I have a dvd player that DOESNT support vcd/svcd. Is it possible to convert your mpeg or avi movies to mpeg2, burn it onto a cd, and then be played back on a normal dvd player?

* Get Headless *

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 4
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/20/2001 5:58:30 AM   
morrisson

Tony Iommi wrote:
quote:
Is it possible to convert your mpeg or avi movies to mpeg2, burn it onto a cd, and then be played back on a normal dvd player?

Unless you have a DVD burner so you can burn DVD compliant MPEG2 video, then in a word no.

You can create mini-DVD's using normal CDR/CD-RW media but these will only work using software based DVD players on PCs, and not on STB's.

I suspect DVD player manafacturers will produce players that can handle MPEG4 / DivX at some point but at the moment it's not possible.

Cheers.

Lol.

Edited by - morrisson on 09/21/2001 06:46:05

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 5
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/24/2001 5:46:05 AM   
Tony Iommi

What exactly IS "DVD compliant MPEG2 video"? Why isn't it possible to burn f.ex. 15 minutes of dvd video onto a CD-R/RW? Will a normal DVD player only accept a dvd disc to show dvd video?

* Get Headless *

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 6
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/24/2001 6:38:36 AM   
john

> "DVD compliant MPEG2 video"

Mpeg2 video that complies to the DVD standards so it can be read in all DVD players.

> Why isn't it possible to burn f.ex. 15 minutes of dvd video onto a CD-R/RW?

It is possible with the proper DVD authoring software. This is called miniDVD or cDVD.

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 7
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/28/2001 3:50:57 AM   
Tony Iommi

I forgot one very important addition in my sentence. Here goes: Why isn't it possible to burn f.ex. 15 minutes of dvd video onto a CD-R/RW, that can be played back on a standalone dvd player?

* Get Headless *

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 8
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/28/2001 7:43:06 AM   
john

You can do it. It is called miniDVD or cDVD.

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 9
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/28/2001 3:42:35 PM   
nathannihilatora

Yes, but last I saw very few stand-alone DVD players can read miniDVDs. The problem, I heard, is that the drives in these players can't spinup fast enough to deliver DVD bitrates off of a cdr.

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 10
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 9/29/2001 5:02:19 AM   
Tony Iommi

Just to be ABSOLUTELY sure, these miniDVD's can be played back on a standalone player that *doesnt* support vcd playback? As I first said, my dvd player doesnt support playback of any other format than normal dvd video. (My dvd player is the PlayStation2)

* Get Headless *

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 11
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 10/22/2001 8:28:46 AM   
Tony Iommi

Hello, anyone?

* Get Headless *

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 12
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 10/22/2001 9:51:54 AM   
john

Yes your player must support CDR media before be able to play miniDVD CD-R media.

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 13
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 10/23/2001 6:03:15 PM   
Tony Iommi

Thanks for replying, John. However, I think you misunderstood my question. This isn't about cd-r media, this is about making a cd with dvd video encoded.. NOT VCD, NOT SVCD, but MPEG2 encoded dvd video onto a cd-r that can be played back on a standalone player that DOES NOT support playback of anything other than mpeg2 DVD video?

Thanx

* Get Headless *

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 14
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 10/23/2001 8:07:30 PM   
john

If the video has been properly encoded it should work in DVD players

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 15
RE: capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p - 10/24/2001 4:49:43 AM   
Tony Iommi

Thanx

* Get Headless *

(in reply to dmaniac)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> capture video and convert to vcd for view on dvd p Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI