CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

A most "interesting" CD   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1090 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> A most "interesting" CD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A most "interesting" CD - 2/9/2004 2:56:58 AM   
RustyNails

I have a CD that "behaves" funny. Here is what happens.

The CD is a CD-R on a Sony CD-R (should be good) with 4 avi files.

On my new Benq DW800A (B2I7) the disc is not recognized at all?

On my Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-348B (T507) I can read and copy 3 of the files. One is reported with CRC errors. I try CD/DVD Diagnostic 2.02
(should work?) but does not do anything more than the standard Explorer copy and refuses to copy.

Now I try to play the avi file and it works to 99%. At the end av the clip a few frames are heavily pixelated, but thats all.

To rescue the clip I had to play it on one PC with video out (composite) and capture it with my capture card on another PC.

Why would a CD behave this strange? Any comment will be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: A most "interesting" CD - 2/9/2004 9:43:38 AM   
sp

The disc is bad.
This might be due to several factors. A prominent one is that you have scratched some part of it's lower surface or it has dirtiness on it due to incorrect user handling.
Try cleaning it's lower surface with water and/or alcohol. Do not wipe it, or wipe it with a very soft and clean piece of clothe.

WM # CI

(in reply to RustyNails)
Post #: 2
RE: A most "interesting" CD - 2/9/2004 11:32:26 AM   
RustyNails

I realize the CD is not perfect, but it works OK (almost) in one drive but not on another one.
Have already cleaned in a way similar to your suggestion.

The thing that bothers me most is that I can play the CD but not copy it, not even with CD/DVDDiagnostic

(in reply to RustyNails)
Post #: 3
RE: A most "interesting" CD - 2/9/2004 4:29:59 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Generally I have found that most Sony CD-Rs are quite poor quality (see my review: Sony 48x CD-R Review).

The reason one drive performs better then the other is probably due to one drive having better error correction abilities then the other. Your Samsung Combo drive probably has a much higher C2 error tolerance then the BenQ DVD burner does.

The reason you can view the .avi's better then copy them is because when you are copying the files, you computer wants an exact replica of the original file, and will fail to copy if there is an unrecoverable error. When you play a movie, it has error coverup abilities (like when you play a scratched audio CD and you hear pops and clicks). This is what is happening when you see the pixilation. Using software like badcopypro might allow you to recover your files a little better, but it sounds like you've already done a pretty good job on that.

I hope that clears things up a little for you

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to RustyNails)
Post #: 4
RE: A most "interesting" CD - 2/10/2004 2:48:25 AM   
RustyNails

Thanks "Dolphinius_Rex" for your comment.
Just one small comment. One of the reasons I went for the Benq DW800A
was after reading the extensive test made at CDRInfo about its capabilities to read bad and scratched discs. Maybe my drive is a monday version! I will check with local dealer.

(in reply to RustyNails)
Post #: 5
RE: A most "interesting" CD - 2/10/2004 5:08:13 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Well, I think there are differernces in correcting errors caused by dirt and/or scratches, and errors caused by a poor quality CD-R just in general not being good. Perhaps the BenQ DW800A is better at one type then the other... or maybe the Samsung is just an exceptional reader? it's hard to say, sorry.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to RustyNails)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> A most "interesting" CD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI