CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Which Burner to get for best Quality?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 969 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Which Burner to get for best Quality? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/9/2003 7:34:57 AM   
goden99

Which burner should i get ? [:p]

I need one for Quality speed isn't an issue to me.
But I also want it to be able to read Scatched Discs.

I am thing LG or Lite-on but can't decide.
Post #: 1
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/9/2003 9:20:36 AM   
Clint

quote:
Originally posted by goden99

Which burner should i get ? [:p]

I need one for Quality speed isn't an issue to me.
But I also want it to be able to read Scatched Discs.

I am thing LG or Lite-on but can't decide.

If you think best writing quality (lowest jitter rates) you *don't* think Lite-On or LG... You think Plextor, Yamaha or TEAC. Read the parts you can understand in our Writing Quality article and decide for yourself.

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 2
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/9/2003 10:19:19 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Clint is correct, though I will point out that the LiteON's are far more tolerant of low quality media then the 3 drives that he suggested, especailly where CMC is concerned.

I don't know ANY reasons to buy an LG, at least not when you have the option of a LiteON

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 3
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/9/2003 10:16:16 PM   
goden99

I know Plextor, Yamaha and TEAC are the best for quality but they are also a little more than Double the price of other burners.
and I am probably going to burn at fastest CAV (16 or 24X depending on burner to get the best quality)

I was baseing my decision on these reviews at cdrlabs.com
Here is the one for LG
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=172
and the one on liteon
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=173

The liteon seems superior in speed but it can't read scratched CDs well.

I've also heard from people that liteon doesn't like all Media specially cheap kind and some say otherwise samething goes with LG.

The only reason I need quality SOMETIMEs but usualy when i do it's nessary is when I burn music mixes to play at parties. And I usualy burn those at 2X on Black Discs (with my old Sony 8/4/32) and Quality usto be Very impressive you can't tell the difference. I am only getting a new burner because I sold my system and they wanted the burner with it.

I looked around and here are the CDRs I can easly get locally.
Price is not an Issue (No, Plextor is still a little overpriced I think)

Aopen 40x/12x/48x IDE

Asus 48x/24x/48x CD-RW
Asus 52x/24x/52x CD-RW

Liteon 52x/24x/52x CD-RW *Retail Box*

LG 52x/24x/52x IDE

Mitsumi 52x/24x/52x IDE

MSI 48x/16x/48x BOX
MSI 52x/24x/52x Int IDE

OPTORITE 48x/16x/48X
OPTORITE 52x/24x/52X

Samsung 48x/16x/48x IDE

Sony 52x/24x/52x
SONY 48x/12x/48x

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 4
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/10/2003 12:48:18 AM   
MP3Mogul

While they may be a little pricey, the ones mentioned above are best for quality, and you "GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 5
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/10/2003 2:18:17 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Well, I've compared my friend's LG 32x writer to my LiteON 40x writer, and I was not impressed by the writing quality of the LG. The comparison was a little unfair, but It's not the first time I haven't liked the test results from an LG drive.

Try the Yamaha CRW F1, it's recently been discontinued, and its price has dropped dramatically! the only problem I have with it is that is doesn't do proper EFM encoding (used for game backups) and it tends to REALLY not like CMC media (whether it's good or bad), or other media that is low quality. All around though, it is a good drive!

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 6
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/10/2003 2:23:08 AM   
goden99

About the Plextor can it replicate any sort of software protection (i.e. SafeDisc) like LG and Lite-on ?

WoW. Forget about Plextor that thing hates scratched discs. Can't get TEAC, Yamaha except if I want to wait 2-3 Weeks. (Plextor was not double price but was a bit more Yamaha was ... a lot more then double)

So I am back to Square one.

Which burner from the list I showed.

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 7
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/10/2003 4:27:25 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

From the options you have listed, I highly recomend the LiteON. Don't buy the Sony's they are all rebadged LiteON's anyways LOL!

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 8
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/11/2003 1:09:08 AM   
goden99

Anything Wrong with LGs ?
I heard Lite on are good but don't like scatched CDs and some media.

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 9
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/11/2003 6:41:13 PM   
rjw

Pro's for the LG
+ Drives sometimes can burn 102 minutes with the right media.
+ Better reader for Audio Protections.(But not as good as Plex/Yamaha)
+ better normal support most times.

Pro's for the Lite ON
+ Faster performance with low quality media.
+ CD DOCTER /WSES (better quality meassureing as NERO)
+ Better firmware support

About CMC & Lite ON it is not true that the Lite On performs better as the Plextor drives with CMC Magnetics media. While Lite On drives can write this media most times faster. In the end Plextor seems to be the winner when it comes to quality. Infact I think it delivers a overall better quality with low quality media as the Lite On drives.
But like I said you sometimes can find much slower burning times with Plextor and Yamaha and this media.

Now comparring the writing quality LG and the Lite On drives.
I think that the LG 52x is actually better when it comes to writing quality as the Lite On 52x. It really looks like the 52x isn't that good.
Based on my results it shows that my Lite On 48246S has a better writing quality as my friends Lite On 52246S even at low speeds.

Reading scratched media.
Don't forget that also the accuracy of the reporting of C2 errors is important. The LG might not report some errors because it is less accurate. I know that the Lite On 52246S/48246S score most times arround the 99.90 and 100 % accuracy.

Plextor might not be te best reader with normal software and settings . However PLextor incombination with the European software plextools outperforms most other drives when it comes to reading scratched media. (Just use 99 retries at sector level)

The Lite On's have the advantage that they can meassure rough the quality of a writen disc (CD Docter /WSES)

If it really is about audio then Buy the Yamaha it is really the best drive for audio burning.
If it is for companny data archiving I would recommend Plextor these days.
For the normal users and copy freaks LG/Lite On both have there pro's and con's.

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 10
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/12/2003 9:19:34 AM   
goden99

WOW :)
Thanks so much rjw for explaining in so much detail.

I am wondering thou is it possible to set "99 retries at sector level" for Lite ON Drives since the only major disadvantage I can find between LG and Lite ON is that LG can read scratched discs at lot easier than Lite ONs.

For Writing Quality, Which would be better LG or Lite ON if I write at the fastest (CLV) Setting (Which is 16X on both drives)

I personally am patient enough to wait the extra minute for a better burn. (at 16X it should take less than 5 Minute for a full 650meg CD)

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 11
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/12/2003 10:15:08 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

My LiteON 40125S takes exactly 2:21 to burn a 79min 40sec and 31frm CD-R image using Alcohol 120% at 48x

The writing quality is good you can take a look at some of my burns on different CD-Rs on my webpage:

http://www.digitaldolphin.netfirms.com

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 12
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/12/2003 12:45:47 PM   
rjw

Well since I am a lucky guy to own 3 different burners / okay let's make it 2 since the philips 3610 is prety much death.(Unless the disc's use advanced pthalocyanine disc's.)

So far I can say you this my Plexwriter 24x outperforms so far allmost with all media my Lite On 48246S.
Infact any quality media I normally use (fuji,mitsubishi,TY,Mitsui) scored better in CD Docter as the best disc's on Dolphinius Rex site and that is for both burners.[:I]
However there is one other point the 6 series are better constructed as the 5 series and if anything is normal then a 6 would find less errors on a disc. [}:)]

99 retries at sector level is a plextools only option which only works with plextor drives.

If you lucky then I might be able to get a LG drive over here to see how it really performs.

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 13
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/12/2003 11:09:08 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I guess it's time for me to buy a 48246S then

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 14
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/13/2003 10:46:14 AM   
rjw

No, Dolphinius Rex your wrong. It might be time for you to buy a plextor drive. Since newer versions of plextools(which will be shiped with it worldwide with the new drives.) can do more advanced tests with your Plextor drive such as C1/C2 error tests, transfer rate tests, tracking tests and jitter tests According to cdfreaks that is.
So it looks like PLextor really have taken there name back King of Quality that is. I wonder what Lite On will do against it.(Release the complete version of wses [?])

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 15
RE: Which Burner to get for best Quality? - 3/13/2003 11:48:05 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

having just read through the new features of plex tools, I may have to agree with you! unfortunatly, if I switch to a different drive, it will negate the uniformity of my tests...I'd have to go back and re-test all the media with the new drive....which I *CAN* do...but OH! the time it would take ....[xx(]

plextor appears to be pulling up it's socks though. And with Yamaha out of the race, they may just be the best way to go. I also am looking forward to seeing what LiteON will bring forward

(in reply to goden99)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Which Burner to get for best Quality? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI