4. Defected DVD reading tests
2. CD, DVD reading tests
3. Defected CD reading tests
4. Defected DVD reading tests
5. Testing platform - About the Quantized IQB Omni CD DVD Analyser
6. CD-R writing tests - Taiyo Yuden @48x
7. CD-R writing tests - RITEK @48x
8. CD-RW writibg tests - Verbatim @32x
9. DVD+R writing tests - CMC MAG M01 @18x
10. DVD+R writing tests - DAXON AZ3 @16x
11. DVD+R writing tests - MCC 004 @20x
12. DVD+R writing tests - PRODISC R05 @16x
13. DVD+R writing tests - YUDEN T03 @22x
14. DVD-R writing tests - CMC MAG AM3 @18x
15. DVD-R writing tests - MCC 03RG20 @18x
16. DVD-R writing tests - PRODISC F02 @16x
17. DVD-R writing tests - TTH02 @16x
18. DVD-R writing tests - TYG03 @22x
19. DVD+R DL writing tests - MKM 003 000 @10x
20. DVD+R DL writing tests - RITEK S06 076 @16x
21. DVD-R DL writing tests - MKM 03RD30 @10x
22. DVD+R DL writing tests - MKM 04RD30 @12x
23. DVD+RW writing tests - MKM A03 000 @8x
24. DVD-RW writing tests - MKM 01RW9X01 @6x
25. DVD-RAM writing tests - M01J5006 @5x
26. DVD-RAM writing tests - MXL22 @12x
27. Summary of writing tests, Overburning, Bit setting
28. Final words
In the following tests, we examine the DVD reading capabilities of the drive with scratched / defective DVD media. For the tests, we used CDVD Benchmark and Nero CDSpeed. The reference test media comes from ALMEDIO.
- Single Layer media
This is a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM with a 4.7GB capacity, and its surface has an artificial scratch of dimensions varying from 0.4 to 3.0 mm.
The following transfer rate picture comes from the CDVD Benchmark v1.21 transfer rate test.
Flawless reading, without any problems and without dropping speed.
This is also a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM of 4.7GB capacity. The data structure of the disc is exactly the same as that of the TDR-821, with the difference that there are no scratches on it but instead, defective areas of dimensions ranging from 0.5 to 1.1 mm. There are also fingerprints sized between 65 and 75 micrometers.
We can see some speed fluctuations as the drive was not comfortable reading the disc. However, no read errors occured.
- Dual Layer media
This is an 8.5GB dual layer, single sided DVD-ROM disc with artificial scratches of dimensions ranging from 0.4 to 3.0mm, on both layers.
A good read by the drive here, producing a smooth graph.
The disc is a single sided, dual layer DVD-ROM disc with a capacity of 8.5GB. The only difference between the TDR-845 and the TDR-841 is that the first includes defective areas and fingerprints.
Same as with the TDR-841, with a very good reading of both layers of the disc.
The TDV-541 is a single sided, dual layer DVD-VIDEO disc, with a capacity of 8.5GB.The disc is based upon the TDV-540 series which is designed for inspection and adjustment of DVD-VIDEO players. The disc checks the layer switch operation from layer 0 to layer 1 and also includes test pictures and test signals for DVD sound files.
The SH-S223F failed to read the 'defective' disc and the process stopped a few mm before changing layers.
The TDV-545 disc is based on the TDV-540 series. It is a single sided, dual layer DVD-VIDEO disc with a capacity of 8.5GB.The TDV-545 includes artificial black dots on the data surface, sized from 0.4 to 1.0 mm. It also has 65 - 75 micrometer fingerprints.
Flawless reading here, producing a smooth and symmetrical speed graph.
Overall, the DVD error correction mechanisms are generally good, with an exception the "scratched" dual-layer DVD Video disc. Failure on the TDV-541 is not something rare among DVD drives, as many other drives that we recently tested failed to read the disc. However, we are always looking for drives that are able to read it, as flawless error correction is a vital part of an excpetional drive's performance.