1. Introduction, specifications
2. CD, DVD reading tests
3. Defected CD reading tests
4. Defected DVD reading tests
5. Testing platform - About the Quantized IQB Omni CD DVD Analyser
6. CD-R writing tests - Taiyo Yuden @48x
7. CD-R writing tests - RITEK @48x
8. CD-RW writibg tests - Verbatim @32x
9. DVD+R writing tests - CMC MAG M01 @18x
10. DVD+R writing tests - DAXON AZ3 @16x
11. DVD+R writing tests - MCC 004 @20x
12. DVD+R writing tests - PRODISC R05 @16x
13. DVD+R writing tests - YUDEN T03 @22x
14. DVD-R writing tests - CMC MAG AM3 @18x
15. DVD-R writing tests - MCC 03RG20 @18x
16. DVD-R writing tests - PRODISC F02 @16x
17. DVD-R writing tests - TTH02 @16x
18. DVD-R writing tests - TYG03 @22x
19. DVD+R DL writing tests - MKM 003 000 @10x
20. DVD+R DL writing tests - RITEK S06 076 @16x
21. DVD-R DL writing tests - MKM 03RD30 @10x
22. DVD+R DL writing tests - MKM 04RD30 @12x
23. DVD+RW writing tests - MKM A03 000 @8x
24. DVD-RW writing tests - MKM 01RW9X01 @6x
25. DVD-RAM writing tests - M01J5006 @5x
26. DVD-RAM writing tests - MXL22 @12x
27. Summary of writing tests, Overburning, Bit setting
28. Final words
Toshiba Samsung Storage Division (TSST) has been among the first ODD maker that made its move into the market of 22X DVD burners with the SH-S223F. However, they took the initiative to also make it the first drive able to burn DVD+R DL media at 16X. This innovation along with the 22X burning feature sure make it something interesting to check out, and can make it stand out as the choice of many users.
The Samsung drive is able to burn DVD±R media at 22X, DVD+R DL at 16X, DVD-R DL at 12X, DVD+RW media at 8X, DVD-RW at 6X, DVD-RW DL at 2X and DVD-RAM at 12X. It is connected to the computer via a S-ATA interface, thus allowing Burst Transfer Rates of up to 1.5Gbps.
The drive is part of the company's Writemaster family of products, meaning that it carries all these technologies met in previous models, including the tilt actuator compensation and weight balance compensation technologies, buffer underrun for worry-free CD/DVD burnings as well as double OPC technology for reliable recordings.
- Drive Features & Specifications
|Data Transfer Rate|
|DVD+R Double Layer||Write||16X|
|DVD-R Double Layer||Write||12X|
|Burst Transfer Rate||PIO Mode 4||16.6MB/ps|
|DMA Mode 2||16.6MB/ps|
|UDMA Mode 2||33.3mb/ps|
|Average Access Time||CD-ROM||110ms|
|E-Co Product : RoHS||Yes|
|Automatic Ball Balancing System : A.B.S||Yes|
|Weight Balancing System : W.B.S||Yes|
|Firmware Live Update||Yes|
|Buffer Underrun Free Technology||Yes|
|Speed Adjustment Technology : S.A.T||Yes|
|Double O.P.C Technology||Yes|
|Tilt Actuator Compensation Technology : T.A.C||Yes|
|Product Weights & Dimensions|
|Dimension(W x H x D)||142 x 42 x 170mm|
The drive's external design is typical and the the available extra bezels could be easily installed and match the color of your PC case.
Let's have a look in the drive's internals.
The main board is compact compared to previous generations of DVD burners.
The drive's is based on the MediaTek MT1869L chip.
- Retail box
The retail box is complete and includes the following items:
- TSST SH-S223F DVD burner
- Quick setup guide
- S-ATA Data Cable
- Instruction manual
- Mounting screws
- 2 extra bezels (silver & white)
- Software disc with user manual (17 languages), Nero Express 7 Essentials, InCD Essentials, Nero Vision Essentials, Nero BackitUp Essentials, Nero ShowTime Essentials and Nero Recode Essentials
The SATA drive was identified under Windows XP as "TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F ", firmware version SB02.
DVD Info Pro
Nero Info Tool 5