The standard also delivers functionality for these devices, including:
* Ability to define special functions and enhanced performance beyond the standard behavior of a mouse, keyboard or similar input device
* Supports operation with existing ZigBee Remote Control equipped HDTVs, set-top boxes and other devices as well as with existing computers
* Native support for popular multi-touch and gesture commands, including pinch or rotation for touch pad devices
* Simple push-button pairing makes devices easy to use
* Smart, over-the-air updates and programmability options allow new features to be added to devices at any time
"ZigBee Input Device offers CE and computer accessory manufacturers a standard that makes their products greener and more intelligent," said Bob Heile, chairman of the ZigBee Alliance. "It builds on the existing ZigBee Remote Control standard, adding features to enable a richer entertainment experience. It also gives set-top boxes, HDTVs and other CE device manufacturers a significant additional market capability."
This standard is now available to all ZigBee Alliance members. It is the second standard designed specifically for the ZigBee RF4CE specification. Last year, the Alliance also introduced ZigBee Remote Control for consumer electronic devices.