2. CD, DVD reading tests
3. CD error correction tests
4. DVD error correction tests
5. CD, DVD testing platform - The Quantized IQB Omni Analyzer
6. CD-R burning - Taiyo Yuden 48x
7. CD-R burning - Memorex (Ritek) 48x
8. CD-RW burning - Verbatim 32x
9. DVD-R burning - Verbatim MCC03RG20 16x
10. DVD-R burning - CMCMAG AM3 16x
11. DVD-R burning - RITEKF1 16x
12. DVD-R burning - TTH02 16x
13. DVD-R burning - Taiyo Yuden TYG03 24x
14. DVD+R burning - DAXON AZ3 16x
15. DVD+R burning - CMCMAG M01 16x
16. DVD+R burning - Verbatim MCC 004 16x
17. DVD+R burning - Moser Baer India MBIPG101 R05 16x
18. DVD+R burning - Taiyo Yuden YUDEN T03 24x
19. DVD-RW burning - Verbatim MKM01RW6X01 6x
20. DVD+RW burning - Verbatim MKM A03 8x
21. DVD+R DL burning - Verbatim MKM 003 8x
22. DVD-R DL burning - Verbatim MKM03RD30 8x
23. DVD-R DL burning - Verbatim MKM04RD30 12x
24. DVD-RAM burning - Maxel MXL22 12x
25. Summary of DVD burning tests, Overburning, Bit setting, SmartErase
LiteOn move in the 24X DVD Burners' market is the new IHAS324. The supported 24x burning speed is the fastest currently available, and the only competitor is the Optiarc AD7240S. However, many say that as the burning speed increases, good burning quality is something difficult to maintain. Does this apply for the LiteOn drive, too? Let's move on to the summing of the results to see.
First of all, the drive proved to be a good reader, performing all tasks with speeds according to specifications, and being able to complete them successfully. In addition, the drive, in most reading processes, was faster than its competitor, the Optiarc drive. As far as error correction is concerned, the tests showed us that the drive has average error correction mechanisms on both CD and DVD media.
Next on, are the writing tests that we performed. DVD media were burned at speeds of up to 24X and the result was great. We were able to burn a DVD disc in 4 minutes with an average speed of approximately 17.5X. However, only very few discs are compatible with such high speeds. Untill now, the drive can only burn at such speeds the YUDEN000T03 and TYG03 Taiyo Yuden DVD+R and DVD-R media respectively. Writing quality tests were performed at CD and DVD media, and the drive did not appear to be as good as we expected it to be. Tests on the majority of the burned discs reported huge uncorrectable digital error rates.
The drive also offers the SmartErase function. If you have some time to spend, you can try it out using the bundled software. It will completely erase your discs fast and with just a few clicks.
To sum up, the drive proved to be a very good and fast reader, beating its competitor in most tests. However, its burning quality is not so good, and the Optiarc drive beats the IHAS324 in this aspect.