The GlobalSat GH-601 is a fully-sealed, waterproof, LCD wrist-watch, as well as a GPS device, that locates and tracks points from start to stop. Users mainly having a need for this device would be those active in outdoor sports, such as Jogging, Running, Biking, Snow Skiing, etc. Moreover, it can be used as a GPS receiver via the USB interface.
The built-in Sirf III chipset provides good reception levels with quick TTFF times. Compared with the BT-338, another award winning GPS device, the GH-601's performance was not as good, but it is certainly enough for its intended target group.
The device offers many different settings and options for the user. After tracking and recording your route, you can export the data to Google Earth and view it. The device can also be upgraded with new releases of firmware, keeping it up-to-date. The included battery will last for a long time (around 16 hours) and in case you like to work out in the dark, the backlit LCD makes for a readable display.
The retail price for the package has not yet been officially announced. But we did find pre-order prices of €160, although we can't be sure if this will be its eventual release price.
- Complete retail package
- Sirf III chipset provides good reception levels
- Recorded data can be exported/downloaded to PC and to Google Earth
- Waterproof design - (we didn't test it :-)
- Can be powered via USB interface
- Can be used as a normal GPS device (via USB interface)
- Battery lasts up to 16hours
- Supports WAAS/EGNOS
- Easy installation (includes a nice, printed manual)
- Small dimensions and low weight make it very portable
- No barometer (will be supported by the GH-602)