7. Final thoughts
The Eweat EW902 is a 4K+3D+HDMI IN+USB3.0+1000M Ethernet+SATA Realtek 1195 Android Media Player. It supports and decodes almost all media formats (video & audio), giving users the freedom to have also XBMC pre installed and enjoy all its features.
The player comes in a complete retail package that includes everything you need to start using it. Its black aluminum structure looks solid, and the two wifi antennas provide a good reception. The device runs on an Android 4.4.0 skin customized by Eweat. Of course you can also your own launcher. The latest build packs root abilities for you if you feel experienced enough and want something more from the player.
The video playback capabilities are generally good. The player handles most currently available files without any issues. However, 4K H.264 /H.265 video files result in a jerky playback. The internal media player works very well and outputs most files at 24Hz, resulting in a smooth overall playback. There are some issues with subs however, which can be solved by using other player (like MX Player). But the trade-off in that case would be some possible playback issues with high rated files, since the MX player doesn't fully utilize the RealTek's hardware acceleration.
The XBMC is a must for most users, but the Eweat's implementation is not completely flawless. The official Kodi 14.0 beta 1 works very well so you's better use this instead. However it doesn't output 24Hz and sound is limited at 2channels downmix. We hope that Realtek will release sources and give the Kodi project the boost it needs.
The player provides many inputs to work with. The HDMI-in is a plus and works great. However no recording capabilities are present. It can also playback 3D movies (Frame Packaging 3D, 2D movie convert to 3D image), which according to users reports work just fine.
To sum up, the Eweat EW902 is good, feature-packed media player but it still needs some more more work and polishing in order to become great. Considering its recent launch and the frequent firmware releases by Eweat so far, we hope that the Chinese company will eventually deliver a complete product.
Priced at $50-60, this player is recommenced, provided that you realize what you are getting from an Android TV box.
- Good packaging and aluminum shell
- Remote control has a good range
- Includes 8GB internal storage
- Includes SD, 2xUSB2.0, USB3.0 and eSATA ports
- Includes Android 4.4 (kitkat)
- Includes Miracast and Intel WiDi protocol
- Includes HDMI in + out
- Includes 1Gbit Lan and dual Wifi external antennas
- Includes BlueTooth
- RealTek 1195 chipset handles up to 120Mbit video files without any issues
- Can playback perfectly H.264 (1080p) files
- Can playback perfectly H.265 (720p) files
- Image quality is very good
- Kodi (XBMC) performance with the latest 14.0 beta 1 is satisfactory
- Supports BD ISO playback
- Support Frame Packaging 3D, 2D movie convert to 3D image
- Simple interface for most users
- The player can playback almost all currently available files
- Frequent firmware updates
- Latest firmware offers root
- Attractive price
- Greek subtitles need more work to be properly displayed with stock player
- Dual-core engine is sufficient for 1080p video playback but not for serious gaming
- External video players cannot offer 24Hz playback neither you can adjust the frame rate of the video output frame rate (player adjusts frame rate every time you start a movie)
- XBMC provided apk isn't pre-installed and has issues
- Some advertised features not present (BD Menus)
- 4K H.264 playback is jerky and 4K H.265 is a no go situation
- Users might need purchase fly mouse or external keyboard/mouse for faster navigation and overall android experience
- Some issues with specific video/audio formats (WMA, WMV, DivX codecs)
- Default aspect ratio needs change from "full" to "fit" for all movies
- Latest firmware changed display setting from 1080p to 720p