1. Asus DVD-E616P2
2. Samsung TS-H352A
3. LiteOn SOHD-167T
4. Transfer Rate Reading Tests
5. CD Error Correction Tests
6. DVD Error Correction Tests
7. DAE Tests
8. Protected AudioCDs
9. Protected Disc Tests
10. Asus vs S300
11. 167T vs S300
12. Hacked Firmware for Asus
13. Hacked Firmware for Samsung
14. Hacked Firmware for LiteOn
DVD-ROM Roundup Vol.4 - Page 1
The DVD-E616P2 is the latest internal half-height DVD-ROM from ASUS. The drive supports 16X DVD-ROM and 48X CD-ROM reading speeds.
ASUS DVD-E616P2 delivers superior stability with an anti-vibration mechanism
that reduces vibration throughout the drive. It also increases control of resonance
frequency and limits vibration noise for quiet operation and smooth DVD playback
- DVD-ROM max. data transfer rate: 21640 KB/s (16X)
- CD-ROM max. data transfer rate: 7200 KB/s (48X)
- Interface: E-IDE/ATAPI
- Random Access Time: DVD: 120 ms vs. CD: 120 ms typical
- Data Buffer: 512 KB
- Application Formats: Capable of reading most of the DVD-ROM/R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-Video and CD-ROM/R/RW discs.
- Low CPU Utilization.
- High-Speed DAE & VCD Data Extraction
- Compatible with Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP, DOS 6.xx, Linux
- Vertical/ Horizontal Mounting Available
- Full Accessibility and Playability: ASUS DVD-E616P2 provides leading-edge multimedia experience with fabulous playback capacities that allows users to access all CDs, DVD-R/RW/ROM, DVD+R/RW and DVD-Video.
- DDSSII - Double Dynamic Suspension System. Superior Stability with Low Vibration
- Mechanism: Reduced vibration on traverse & drive case; resonance frequency control; reduced vibration noise; enhanced readability & playability
- AFFM (Airflow Field Modification)
AFFM is designed to change the uneven airflow field inside the drive because even pressure distribution leads to quieter and more stable operation.
|Sustained DataTransfer Rate||16X max:21640 KB/s (DVD)|
48X max:7200 KB/s (CD)
|Burst Data Transfer Rate||99.9MB/s (Ultra DMA/100 Mode)
66.6MB/s (Ultra DMA/66 Mode)
33.3MB/s (Ultra DMA/33 Mode)
16.6MB/s (PIO Mode 4 & Multi-Word DMA Mode 2)
|Random Access Time||DVD:120ms typical
DVD-R, DVD-9, DVD-10, DVD-18, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, DVD+R, DVD+RW
CD XA(Video), CD XA(Audio), CD RW(Video),CD RW(Audio), CD RW(UDF), Multi-Session(Data), Multi-Session(Audio), Bootable CD, CD ROM, Karaoke CD, CD-MixMode, CD-Extra, CD-I, Photo CD
|Disc Diameters||8cm & 12cm|
|Data Buffer Size||512 KB|
|Mounting Orientation||Horizontal & Vertical|
|Compatibility||Windows 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP, DOS6.xx, Linux|
|Audio Outputs||Line out Output: 0.7V rms typical|
100,000 Power On Hours (POH)
Operating: 5~45° C
Storage: -20~60° C
Operating: 20~80% (non-condensing)
|Configuration||Dimension: 14.85 x 4.26 x 17.3 cm (W x H x D)
|Power Requirement||Voltage:DC + 5V / DC + 12V
Tolerance:5% / 10%
The drive also uses the RPC II region control, allowing a user to change the drive's region at most 5 times.
- The package
The retail box includes the drive, one audio cable for the internal connection with the motherboard, mounting screws, quick installation guide and a CD-ROM with PowerDVD software and drivers. No IDE cable is included.
On the front, there is the DVD-ROM logo located on the left, while the QuieTrack logo is situated under the Asus logo in the center. The activity indicator light is located in the middle while the emergency eject button is on the left. And finally on the right there is the eject button.
On the rear panel you can see the analogue and digital outputs (SPDIF), the IDE connector and the power input.
Removing the screws and opening the drive's cover voids the drive's warranty. For reference reasons, we post the following pictures. You can click on the mainboard picture for a higher resolution image:
The drive was installed as secondary master and WindowsXP recognized it as "ASUS DVD-E616P2 ". The drive arrived with firmware v1.03.
- Testing software
In order to perform our tests we used: