CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1554 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/1/2003 5:22:02 PM   
Bagbug

JWCRIM

whats new in your post ? We already know that. Your just 3 days late ... Its a translation of the same news ...

We need to know if its true !

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 17
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/1/2003 9:57:48 PM   
jwcrim

The quote is the same but there is an update included where the writer talked to a noncommittal Yamaha representative. The rep's reluctance is just another piece of information. However if the group wishes me to remove it I will be glad to do so.

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 18
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/1/2003 10:02:23 PM   
Bagbug

the discussion below the text is funny, keep the post

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 19
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/2/2003 7:20:27 AM   
nullvector

OMG end of the world...? lol....

Even if they stop making them, there will be tons of them out there in OEM channels, and warehouses somewhere.

The bigger point here, is that CDr's are reaching End of life. DVD-r is the future, and Im pretty sure that the costs are going to drop dramatically in the next year, to facilitate a broader user-base.

With all the emphasis now from Micro$oft and other electronics companies, to set-top boxes like the TiVo and XPmediaCenter computers, The CDR will be out-phased in the next coming years simply because of lack of storage space (700mb).

The stimulating factor that will REALLY bring about the DVD-r revolution, will be when Software and music begins to come in DVD format. The Warez-mongers of the world are the driving force behind writable media, and as soon as they need a DVD writer to copy that latest album, or software application, the DVD surge will begin :)

As soon as the media prices start to fall, and the DVD writer drives achieve a pricepoint of about US $150, you wont see many plain CD'rs on retail shelves.

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 20
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/2/2003 11:01:07 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I think it will take at LEAST another 2 or 3 years bfore CD-Rs die out. Most people (average consumers) are happy with the storage space given, and 99min CD-Rs help that out even further! There will be MANY die hard CD burning people. Myself included

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 21
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/2/2003 3:38:27 PM   
sambs0

"There will be MANY die hard CD burning people. Myself included"
Me too!

When talking about reading the DVD disks, why not to mention a DVD reader along with a CDRW drive?

When talking about volume data backup, let's remember the internal hard disks.

When talking about data transfer between the computers, let's remember the external hard drives.

So, where is the room for the DVD re-writers as a substitute for the CD writers?
Yes, it's gonna happen somewhere in the future. But not that soon!

As far as I can see the issue, the main problem with the DVD writers is that from the list of DVD-ROM, DVD+ROM, HD-Burn and CDR/CDRW writings, not everything performs at a top level (like the Yamaha F1 does at CD writing). To handle this, to convinct the market it's done, to come to a resonable prize...
Well, we, the CD writing funs, are all set for a few years ahead.

What about later?!
Okay, the DVD writing funs: you got it, as for me!

When intellectual values trashed, not me who gets over.
Am I obligated to mark broken environment?
2003-09-18. Time to depart the board...

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 22
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/2/2003 5:54:59 PM   
jwcrim

There are a great many instances where one wants to archive 700 MB or less. I think that it will be a long time before there are viable $100 alternatives to reliably store 700 MB in 3 minutes for 30 cents.

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 23
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/3/2003 2:11:03 AM   
Alabaster

quote:
Originally posted by nullvector

....The bigger point here, is that CDr's are reaching End of life. DVD-r is the future, and Im pretty sure that the costs are going to drop dramatically in the next year, to facilitate a broader user-base.

With all the emphasis now from Micro$oft and other electronics companies, to set-top boxes like the TiVo and XPmediaCenter computers, The CDR will be out-phased in the next coming years simply because of lack of storage space (700mb).

How many of you out there still have a 1.44MB floppy disc drive in your machines? I still have not seen a new PC offering without a 3 1/2 inch drive.

The end of the CDR is nigh?! LOL

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 24
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/3/2003 2:22:00 AM   
Laffin Assassin

The next rumour that will be started is that Plextor have been bought out by Lite-On !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 25
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/3/2003 2:44:58 AM   
MP3Mogul

Now that was funny!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 26
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/3/2003 2:51:58 AM   
sambs0

"The next rumour that will be started is that Plextor have been bought out by Lite-On !!!"
Sounds good to me![:X]

By the way, I've read the rumors that the Yamaha stops their CDRW line development at F1 series several months ago (can't remember where was it said; maybe at CDFreaks?)[8)]. When seeing that I got in a hurry to get my F1-EZ drive: it's gonna be top of the line from that moment on and forever.

Forever till something new (like really powerful DVD writers) comes up at the next technological step...[^]

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 27
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/3/2003 6:21:47 AM   
nullvector

quote:
Originally posted by Alabaster
How many of you out there still have a 1.44MB floppy disc drive in your machines? I still have not seen a new PC offering without a 3 1/2 inch drive.

The end of the CDR is nigh?! LOL

Well yes...but is a CD drive backwards compatible with a Floppy? HAHA. I dont think so.... :) The reason some computers still ship-out with floppys, is because of the ease of data transfer. You simply drag a small file to A: and BANG, youve got a copy. A CDr can easily take 1 minute, to several minutes, to do the same file, due to spin up, spin down, insert and eject times, and the time for the lead-in and lead-out. A 10k file could take 10 seconds to send to A:, whereas that same small file could take up to 2 minutes from the insertion of the CD, to ejection of the written media. THAT is the reason why floppies still exist :) Not just because they are SOOOO much in demand, but rather because its easy :)

The thing about DVDwriters, it that they ARE backwards compatible, in that you can burn a CD, burn a DVD, and it doesnt matter that you are using the same drive for it.

Id say in about 1 year, you'll be hard-pressed to find a standard off-the-shelf system with a standard CDR. They'll all have DVDwriters by then :) And YES, floppies will still be in the systems...heh

The only thing holding back DVDwriters now is the CDwrite speed. The HP DVD burners are shipping with 16x CDR speed, I beleive, and as soon as that gets back up to 40-52x speeds, the DVDdrives will REALLY pick up sales.

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 28
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/3/2003 10:17:22 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Only one of the systems where I work has a Disk Drive, and my system at home doesn't have one either. I never have a need for one. Especially since LiteON allows firmware updates through windows.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 29
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/3/2003 12:10:33 PM   
Alabaster

You do have a point nullvector, re DVD drives being backward compatable with CDR. However, CD burners are currently about 1/6th the porice of DVD burners, not to mention the price of the media. 3 1/2 inch floppy drives are about 1/6 the price of CDR drives.

CDR drives won't die out until DVD+-R drives are roughly the same price. Based on the history of these things, it takes about 12 months for prices to halve. At that rate, DVD+-R drives will take over in about two and a half years. Your one year estimate is certainly wishful thinking.

The floppy drive won't die out at the prices they sell for. You can buy one for about the same price as a few beers. Come to think of it, I think I'll have the beers!

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 30
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/3/2003 7:45:19 PM   
sambs0

"...1/6th the porice of DVD burners, not to mention the price of the media. 3 1/2 inch floppy drives are about 1/6 the price of CDR drives..."

Hi Alabaster,
You do make correct points, as for me, but not from the price standpoint. Not at all!

For the upcoming Operating Systems, Micro$oft fights for severe restrictions on the obsolete hardware specifications, ISA devices - first of all. I've read their extensive definitions in the issue a while ago but now can't find where I've seen that to provide a link to.

Of course, such a discussion would lead us far beyond the scopes of the forum. So, just couple of words, please.

Many enough today systems are offered without a floppy drive. I personally heavily use the one for accessing the PC and backups on a per partition basis using Partition Magic and Drive Image by PowerQuest. However...
As soon as BIOS or its reasonably sized extender will support a full access to CDRW media (not just a drive!) outside of the PC's main Operating System (true 32-bit ones first of all), I don't see a good reason for using a floppy any more. I'd expect that upcoming version 8 of DR-DOS may finally add to it.

Very many today's PCs are made without ISA expansion slots. This does not mean that the PC does not any more support the ISA architechture (8.3 Mhz ISA bus). This just restricts the end user's use of the not pre-approved maybe obsolete devices.

So, my point is that the price itself (almost) has no impact on the choice between modern and in advance obsolete technologies.

Getting back to the comparison between DVD and CD writers...
The future is definitely for the DVD ones. They are just not mature enough as of yet. While the CD writers are about at their "theoretical" peak of features/performance.

In addition, there is a big difference between reading and writing the DVDs of all the flavors. DVD readers are already mostly well established. The writers, however, suffer from severe competition from alternate technologies, hard disks - first of all. This is a problem!

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 31
RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? - 2/4/2003 12:06:39 AM   
jwcrim

I'm not familiar with how different the writing techniques are (or will be) for CDR and DVD machines when they are both just writing CD-R's at the same speed.

It may be too early to tell but does anyone know if there are any technical reasons that the preferred CD-R media used by a DVD Combo writer will likely be different than the preferred CR-R media used (at the same speed) by the CRW-F1?

If a significant difference is likely we may have CD-R media availability problems down the line.

(in reply to Bagbug)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: No more Yamaha CDRW ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI