CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 661 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/6/2004 3:02:45 PM   
RickTheRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iggy
Have you tried with different media?

To be honest, no.
These were all prodisc R03 burned with Nu DDW-082 b377.
Do not tell me this is a bad burner. I know. It has been replaced by a Pioneer 108.

I have tried many disks with booktype set at dvd-rom.
That player was always giving the same error code (something like: this type of media cannot be played in this player). However, the same media with the booktype set at dvd+R was immediately recognized.
I felt (maybe I'm wrong) it was not necessary to waste other disks for this trial.

Anyway, this Samsung combo really sucks.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 17
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/9/2004 1:56:25 PM   
sulfur

Hi guys,

Thanks for helping me out. I actually decided to finish my 8x DVD-R TY 50 spindle before switching to +R.

40+ burns @ 8x & no coaster on my NEC3500. :)

I guess I'll know if -R compatibility is 100% or not once I hear back from my friends & relatives.

(in reply to RickTheRed)
Post #: 18
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/9/2004 2:21:44 PM   
Iggy

@ RickTheRed

How is possible a player to play DVD+R but not DVD-ROMs?

@ sulfur

Since you don't have problems with your -R media, which are TY meaning excellent, there's no need to go to +R.

Personaly I prefer +R to -R since my burners have better quality with +R, and most have.

(in reply to sulfur)
Post #: 19
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/9/2004 2:41:50 PM   
RickTheRed

Iggy,

I am just reporting what I have remarked.

Here is an answer that I have received at videohelp, a while ago.

quote:

RickTheRed, it's not just you or your burner. I don't have this same problem, but when I have to mass produce a bunch of DVD+R's with DVD-ROM bitsetting for the local theatrical groups I usually go to BestBuy with a couple of discs to test on various players.

All of the players usually recognize and play thouse DVD+R discs with DVD-ROM booktype. However, there's one Zenith DVD Recorder/VHS Recorder deck that simply refuses to play DVD+R's with DVD-ROM bitsetting. It simply ejects them. I tried a few different DVD+R disc brands/manufacturers and the same issue. However, when I put in a DVD+R disc with DVD+R booktype it recognizes it and plays just fine.

So, what I'm afraid of at the moment, as a DVD producer, is that some new players actually recognize the media type (profile), independent of the booktype, and expect the booktype to match the media. And if not, it will simply reject the disc. Sad, but seems to be true. On that Zenith it actually lights up in the front display window as DVD+R (the one with DVD-ROM booktype) and then immediately ejects

I cannot perform other test as I have a Pioneer 108 and I do not want to flash it to the piodata kernel firmware, enabling bitsetting.
One good reason: I still have plenty of -R8x to burn.

I guess it will be another day...

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 20
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/9/2004 4:22:48 PM   
sulfur

Thanks Iggy.

So far those have tested well w/ an old JVC DVD player & old Panasonic DVD player.

The batch I just did will go to 40 different people, meaning 40 different DVD players. If feedback is good then maybe I'll stick to -R, otherwise +R. :)

(in reply to RickTheRed)
Post #: 21
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/15/2004 12:19:14 PM   
xeon

I want to tag along here too... I have been volunteered to do DVD's for my daughter's cheerleading team of competitions and so forth. I'm new to DVD burning all together and wonder what media does one use. It is a Lite-On drive and the freebie Newegg -R discs have worked on all of my DVD players on a test burn... GE(Shinco), Apex and Pioneer. I have only burned one disc though, but the different formats have me confused.

(in reply to sulfur)
Post #: 22
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/16/2004 2:57:48 AM   
Iggy

I also thank you guys, your experiences are much helpful.

(in reply to xeon)
Post #: 23
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI