CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

How to play JPG's on DVD-player   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1093 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> How to play JPG's on DVD-player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to play JPG's on DVD-player - 9/2/2004 4:19:23 AM   
Jesperben

I have problems regarding burning a cd with jpg's that I can play in my standalone DVD-player.

Sometimes it works for me, and sometimes it does'nt! When it does'nt, the dvd-player can read the disk and show the list of files, but it won't show the pictures.

Is there a limitation in the size of a jpg-file, that a dvd-player can handle? If one file on the disk is too large, will it stop the player from showing the smaller files too? Is there any precautions about the name of the file (All are called things like nr1.jpg).

I have tested my problem witth two different cd-writers and different file-sizes, but I can't get consistent results. The cd's are exactly the same media (CD-R Fuji 8x), and they are finalized.

DVD-player: JVC TH-S3
DVD-writer: LG GSA 4120B
CD-writer: Cyberdrive
Burning with Nero 6.0 (OEM)

I hope somebody can help - trying to make a special gift for my old uncles 80 yrs birthday!

Rgds
Jesper
Post #: 1
RE: How to play JPG's on DVD-player - 9/2/2004 5:26:29 AM   
emperor

kogos might help, i don't know which limitations are present when using jpg with DVD players.

It may be possible that the burned disc didn't burned correctly, how about using other CDR or CD-RW media?

(in reply to Jesperben)
Post #: 2
RE: How to play JPG's on DVD-player - 9/2/2004 5:45:13 AM   
kogos

you have a very good theater system there....

The problem is the jpg file size... All DVD players will need some time to process the jpg file... The bigger the file is, the longer the player will take to process it. Even with your player, you can wait couple of minutes and you will see that the image will be finally shown... but you may have to wait for ages for high resolution images...

Some DVD players uses faster image processors, but again, you will notice speed differences depending on file sizes...

I whould recommend lowering the image quality of these pictures, reducing the file size. I whould also recommend resizing them to 1024X768 since this is a very good resolution for TV screen viewing...

Hope i helped...

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
RE: How to play JPG's on DVD-player - 9/2/2004 5:53:01 PM   
Jesperben

Thank you kogos, but I am getting more confused.

I've now made som very small files in low resolutions but I still can't make the DVD-player play them.

At the same time its happy to play f.x. the jpg's on a Kodak Picture-CD - even though they are larger and at a higher resolution.

I took one of the Kodak jpg's and burned it on one of my own disks - and it also plays fine.

I can't find the logic here. Is there something I don't know about jpg's (I'm sure there is)? Can I be making a "wrong" kind of jpg's?

I'll appreciate it, if you can help me again.

(in reply to kogos)
Post #: 4
[Deleted] - 9/3/2004 1:59:21 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Jesperben)
  Post #: 5
RE: How to play JPG's on DVD-player - 9/3/2004 3:37:45 AM   
kogos

I tested the JVC DVD Player myself... I managed to play all jpg files with different file sizes!!!...

Do the following: Make a disc containing all kinds of jpg files... Check the disc with your player and make a small check list with 4 or five files that are played and those that are not... Then, go to your PC, right click on these files and go to properties... Check the summary tab to see if there are any differences in Horizontal and Vertical resolution... In some jpg projection devices this is what causing this error, the resolution should not exceed 92dpi...

Please, tell us what resolution was used...

You might need to contact JVC customer support for this one... This is not a DVD-R or media problem, that's for sure...

< Message edited by kogos -- 9/3/2004 3:44:12 AM >

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 6
RE: How to play JPG's on DVD-player - 9/3/2004 5:49:10 PM   
Jesperben

OK, it ended succesful - but it remains a mystery.

Kogos, I followed your advice, but surprisingly the change of DPI didn't do the trick. Then I changed the photoediting software, and suddenly everything was good.

The first days I only used Irfanview 3.92 to convert the photos, but as you know I couldn't make it work. Tonight I've used Adobe Photoshop 6.0 and Thumbsplus 5.01, and now it all worked.

But, kogos, your advice was correct. The DPI needs to be low - I've used the usual 72. I had somehow only focused on the 768x1024 which of course is the size and not the resolution.

I still don't understand what's wrong. To my knowledge Irfanview is a highly respected program, so I don't think, that it makes a wrong file. Maybe it just has a default setting somewhere, which doesn't work well with this project.

But now the gift for my uncle is ready (74 photos from his family-history), just have to make a cover. And thats a good thing, since his birthday is sunday.

Thanks again.

(in reply to kogos)
Post #: 7
[Deleted] - 9/3/2004 5:53:22 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Jesperben)
  Post #: 8
RE: How to play JPG's on DVD-player - 9/3/2004 6:01:15 PM   
Jesperben

But Photoshop can't do batch-converting (or I can't find it!).

(I don't know Fireworks, maybe I should give it at look.)

Post #: 9
[Deleted] - 9/3/2004 6:14:00 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Jesperben)
  Post #: 10
RE: How to play JPG's on DVD-player - 9/3/2004 6:30:28 PM   
Jesperben

I mean: Irfanview can convert my 74 images from .png to .jpg and to 72 DPI in one process, and I don't have to open, convert, and save each image. I don't know how to make Photoshop do this. (But my Thumbsplus could).

Post #: 11
RE: How to play JPG's on DVD-player - 9/3/2004 10:41:02 PM   
emperor

Macromedia Fireworks support batch process, i imagine Photoshop should also support it, look around the software menus a little more, maybe Ionian can also help at this?

(in reply to Jesperben)
Post #: 12
[Deleted] - 9/4/2004 7:17:18 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to emperor)
  Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> How to play JPG's on DVD-player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI