CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Best way to backup DVD to DivX?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 704 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> Best way to backup DVD to DivX? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/17/2004 5:18:17 PM   
cdbsi

What is the best group of software to be able to backup a dvd to DivX with the least amount of steps and with the best quality? I want to be able to estimate the output size as well. So I can use CDRs instead of using my collector's DVDs.

It would be really nice if I could backup a movie by setting all of the options, preview the rip quality, and then rip the dvd in one step (so it takes all of my settings and rips it and encodes it into an .avi or .ogm file). I want to be able to rip and encode things overnight so it doesn't interrupt my work in the day time.

Thank you!

EDIT: Is Super DVD Ripper v2.20 any good?

< Message edited by cdbsi -- 6/17/2004 5:23:13 PM >

If you like the icon in my avatar, check out my portfolio: http://www.cdbsi.com/
<('.'< ) (>'.'< ) (>'.')> <(>.< )> Q('.'Q) <(¬.¬)> <(^.^)> (>^.^< ) <(º.º)> <(?.?)> <(
Post #: 1
[Deleted] - 6/17/2004 5:24:10 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to cdbsi)
  Post #: 2
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/17/2004 5:33:06 PM   
emperor

I would propose GKNot, it has the best quality, but its not a one click solution...

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 3
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/18/2004 12:51:19 PM   
cdbsi

So there isn't a utility where you set up everything and then it rips it and encodes it for you? :(

Does anyone have any other good tips?

If you like the icon in my avatar, check out my portfolio: http://www.cdbsi.com/
<('.'< ) (>'.'< ) (>'.')> <(>.< )> Q('.'Q) <(¬.¬)> <(^.^)> (>^.^< ) <(º.º)> <(?.?)> <(

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 4
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/18/2004 5:55:46 PM   
emperor

Maybe AutoGK...

(in reply to cdbsi)
Post #: 5
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/18/2004 8:10:13 PM   
kogos

i found the easiest one to be DVDx... and doctor DivX seems to be as easy to use as DVDx (can't use Xvid codec though)... However, quality and speed are not ''compatible''. So, the best program (in my opinion) that manages to balance quality and speed was, is and always will be FlaskMPEG... (or the patched XMpeg)... If you need any help about these programs, just post/ask... always willing to help mate...

P.S.:Super DVD ripper is just too buggy

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 6
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/18/2004 10:36:40 PM   
cdbsi

I messed around with FlaskMPEG and I encoded a 4:43 long clip from the 4:3 ratio version of Finding Nemo. There was no sound in the clip and it ended up being 43MB in size, which is quite large for a 4 minute video. The quality was really pixelly and grainy (i used muli-pass encoding at 1293KB bitrate).

Please help.

EDIT: When I rip with DVD Decrypter with my LiteOn IT SOHW-812S Burner it only rips my DVDs at 4x and then half way through the rip it gets to around 8x. Is there any way that I could speed it up? Since my burner has a 12x dvd-rom read speed.

Thank you for all of your help everyone!

< Message edited by cdbsi -- 6/18/2004 10:39:18 PM >

(in reply to kogos)
Post #: 7
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/19/2004 5:03:12 AM   
emperor

I will answer to the DVD ripping question, no there isn't, the LiteON drive reads up to 12X with Pressed DVD-Video, while with recordable only up to 8X. I hope newer LiteON drives to improve this

(in reply to cdbsi)
Post #: 8
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/19/2004 4:08:28 PM   
metapy

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

I will answer to the DVD ripping question, no there isn't, the LiteON drive reads up to 12X with Pressed DVD-Video, while with recordable only up to 8X. I hope newer LiteON drives to improve this

Try here:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/patchers.html

Geez a newbie school'd by a mod

< Message edited by metapy -- 6/20/2004 4:35:04 PM >

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 9
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/19/2004 6:41:53 PM   
kogos

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdbsi

I messed around with FlaskMPEG and I encoded a 4:43 long clip from the 4:3 ratio version of Finding Nemo. There was no sound in the clip and it ended up being 43MB in size, which is quite large for a 4 minute video. The quality was really pixelly and grainy (i used muli-pass encoding at 1293KB bitrate).

about the ''no sound'' problem: are you sure that you used mp3 encoder to encode/compress the sound (or wma, or wav)?? The sound is encoded the same time as video is... So, you might just missed it...

about the size problem: what video codec did you use for conversion??? Using divx or xvid codec, you don't need to set the bitrate too high... Imagine that when using a projector to see the movie, you can set it up to 1100KB... Normally, for tv viewing (up to 32inches) a value between 650 and 850KB is fine (depending on the movie, as more ''fast moving'' scenes needs more bitrate). I intend to post some info about how to use flaskMPEG (or XMPEG which is almost the same) from tha begining... I think i'll do it tomorrow, as it might take a while... So, check the forum again tomorrow...

(in reply to cdbsi)
Post #: 10
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/19/2004 11:39:05 PM   
emperor

quote:

ORIGINAL: metapy
Try here:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/patchers.html
Geez mod, a newbie school'd you

Heh, if you read carefully...LiteON drives CANNOT read above 8X with DVD recordable/re-writetable media, they can do 12X only with pressed discs

(in reply to metapy)
Post #: 11
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/20/2004 4:34:40 PM   
metapy

quote:

Heh, if you read carefully...LiteON drives CANNOT read above 8X with DVD recordable/re-writetable media, they can do 12X only with pressed discs

OOPS my bad, well anyways if someone has a drive that is stuck at 6x reading on their burned disks (as was my 411->811) this will help them hit 8x at least.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 12
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/20/2004 6:24:36 PM   
kogos

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdbsi
.....I messed around with FlaskMPEG and I encoded a 4:43 long clip from the 4:3 ratio version of Finding Nemo. There was no sound in the clip and it ended up being 43MB in size, which is quite large for a 4 minute video. The quality was really pixelly and grainy (i used muli-pass encoding at 1293KB bitrate).....

i promised to post a quick ''flaskmpeg'' guide... i am a little late on this one, but i will post it as promised... You see, too much work to be done this weekend...

(in reply to cdbsi)
Post #: 13
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 6/20/2004 9:25:19 PM   
emperor

(in reply to kogos)
Post #: 14
RE: Best way to backup DVD to DivX? - 7/20/2004 2:08:39 PM   
cdbsi

quote:

But I AM reading pressed disks..... :(

DVD Decrypter reads at about 2X at first then slowly makes it up to 8x but I have a 12x drive.

It would be great if I could fix this.

Thanks!!

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 15
[Deleted] - 7/20/2004 5:26:55 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to cdbsi)
  Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> Best way to backup DVD to DivX? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI