CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Fast error skip with 1 retry ! AGHH !!!!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 2059 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Consumer Electronics] >> BD, DVD Players/Recorders >> Fast error skip with 1 retry ! AGHH !!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fast error skip with 1 retry ! AGHH !!!! - 9/10/2001 9:18:45 AM   
JediMaster

Hi All.

I just got my hands on an older Toshiba CD-ROM (SCSI), bought it for $20AU, I read MaxPayne with it in about 42mins with Hardware assisted fasterror skipping with 3 retries. I then set error skipping to 1 retry, just for tests sake, started to read an image file of MaxPayne again to see if there were any speed differences from 3 retries. There were, it got through the bad sector area much faster, when the reading got to 27%, the program hang, couldn't do anything but re-boot. When re-booting, when the computer got to the Adaptec SCSI device menu it hang again, in fact it hang every time there after at every re-boot. Disconnected my SCSI CD-ROM, wolla, booted fine. Reconnected the drive, hung again.(tried on 2 computers)
Due to my experiment the CD-ROM has failed to work ever again.
Wheter this happened due to extra stress on the drive, or due to being a few years old and (second-hand) I can't tell. But it was a mistake to try going lower than the default retries (the drive worked fine before the experimentation).

I just wanted to share my experience.
JediMaster

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Consumer Electronics] >> BD, DVD Players/Recorders >> Fast error skip with 1 retry ! AGHH !!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI