CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Slow copying speed   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 877 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Slow copying speed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slow copying speed - 9/8/2007 2:50:27 PM   
Thew

Hello everyone.  I just have a question about a problem that I have been experiencing and I have no idea what the problem is.  I just got a dvd burning to backup my dvds and was able to do so to my first ten or so discs.  It took about 30 minutes to copy and then burn the discs.  However now when I attempt to do this, I get to maybe 5% through the copying stage and the process slows to barely a crawl.  It estimates my time to copy to be around 16 to 23 hours.  I didn't do anything to my computer between the last one that worked fine and the first one that slowed.  I have tried using different programs but to no avail.  Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
Post #: 1
RE: Slow copying speed - 9/8/2007 2:52:32 PM   
SithTracy

Could be a combination of things... Your DVD drive has riplock and/or you don't have DMA enabled on your IDE channel.  Can you provide some details on your optical drive and your system (operating system and other specifics)?

(in reply to Thew)
Post #: 2
RE: Slow copying speed - 9/8/2007 3:20:19 PM   
Thew

Woah, I am a total noob to dvd burning and have no clue what a riplock and dma are.  I'm running on XP and my drive is an LG 18x dvd rewriter.  It says the sata transer rate for dvds is max 22.16m/s.  I also have a dvd drive in my computer but I have no clue about specifics about that, but both of them are having the same problem.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: Slow copying speed - 9/8/2007 3:28:46 PM   
SithTracy

Well, knowing it is an LG drive helps.... LG drives have RIPLOCK... That means it purposesly slows the drive down when trying to rip DVD Video discs to your hard drive.  Is the drive SATA?  With LG it is one of two model varations.  The HSA-H30N/L or the GSA-H62N/L...  Can you provide any specifics on your system?  Do you know what motherboard you have... what CPU, etc.?

EDIT... here is a link for checking DMA on your Windows system.

< Message edited by SithTracy -- 9/8/2007 3:45:17 PM >

(in reply to Thew)
Post #: 4
RE: Slow copying speed - 9/8/2007 3:45:35 PM   
Thew

No, the lg drive is usb, The box says it is an LG GSA-E50L.  I have no idea on the motherboad.  It is an HPa 535w.  It has 2.20GHz and 448mb ram.

Is it possible to remove the riplock?

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 5
RE: Slow copying speed - 9/8/2007 3:50:07 PM   
SithTracy

Your only option is to use ala42's MediaCodeSpeedEdit, but it does not look like it supports your drive.  Besides that, perhaps return the LG drive and get a Pioneer external.

(in reply to Thew)
Post #: 6
RE: Slow copying speed - 9/8/2007 3:53:32 PM   
Thew

ahh, thanks for your help anyway.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 7
RE: Slow copying speed - 9/8/2007 3:57:38 PM   
Thew

Just one more question, does the pioneer just not have riplock or would I still have to use that problem to fix that?

(in reply to Thew)
Post #: 8
RE: Slow copying speed - 9/8/2007 4:00:39 PM   
SithTracy

LG makes a solid drive, but they rarely get firmware support (and ala42 needs a firmware binary to add support to MCSE) and they have rip-lock.... I currently have two drives... only my GSA-H22N is in use in an INOi DW560U enclosure... The other is the GSA-H62N... it burned DVD's very well but produced horrible CD-R's...  LITE-ON, Pioneer, Plextor, BenQ and Samsung drives are the only ones I am aware of that do not have riplock.  My current favorite drive is the Samsung SH-S203B (SATA).

(in reply to Thew)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Slow copying speed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI