CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

How do you find the media code when buying discs?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 844 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> How do you find the media code when buying discs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you find the media code when buying discs? - 3/7/2007 11:29:46 PM   
Ken across the pond

Hello, Mates,

I just joined this site tonight and this is my first post.  Greetings from across the pond (Southern California, specifically).  Looking forward to e-chatting with you all.

My first question:  Is there an online vendor (in the U.S., preferably) that lists the media code for the blank media they sell?  I'm new to disc burning, and I'd like to buy the exact media that performed well in tests/reviews of the burner I just bought (an Asus DRW-1612BL).  Lots of Websites list the brands they sell, but I don't see any mention of specific media codes.  I've also looked at the boxes and/or packaging of various blank discs from Fuji, Verbatim and Maxell, at a couple retail stores, and there's no mention of media codes on the packaging either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ken

Post #: 1
RE: How do you find the media code when buying discs? - 3/8/2007 12:36:52 AM   
SithTracy

It's a crap shoot, but I always buy Verbatim and I have not been burned yet (this includes Sam's Club purchases).... though you may want to consider RIMA.com, the don't post the media codes, but they sell quality media at a decent price... and it looks like they are based in sunny California!  Tough for me to picture it here in the Snowy, cold mid-west.  Sometimes wish I took that job in Phoenix a couple years back....

(in reply to Ken across the pond)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you find the media code when buying discs? - 3/8/2007 1:35:41 PM   
Ken across the pond

quote:

ORIGINAL: SithTracy

It's a crap shoot, but I always buy Verbatim and I have not been burned yet (this includes Sam's Club purchases).... though you may want to consider RIMA.com, the don't post the media codes, but they sell quality media at a decent price... and it looks like they are based in sunny California!  Tough for me to picture it here in the Snowy, cold mid-west.  Sometimes wish I took that job in Phoenix a couple years back....

Thanks, Sith.  Reason I asked is that I did a lot of research for my first DVD burner purchase recently.  And I noticed that some reviews mention the media codes for the discs that were used in the tests.  Since there is such a HUGE performance difference in burn quality (and other performance measures) depending on the specific discs being used in a given burner, my impression is that just buying a brand of media is, like you say, a crap shoot.  My preference would be to buy the exact same media that performed best in testing -- that way I'd have a high likelihood of getting consistently great results.

I did check out RIMA.com, but like you say, they don't show the media codes.  Oh, well, I'll keep looking.  In another site's review of the burner I bought (an Asus DRW-1612BL), Verbatim, Maxell and Taiyo Yuden seem to perform best in the respective formats.  But I wonder if these mfgrs might change dyes or other chemicals in their discs from time to time and thus alter the discs' performance characteristics.  Without media codes, I'll just be rolling the dice even if I buy those brands of discs.

BTW, when I joined this site last night, I saw the Union Jack flag on the home page and just assumed this is primarily a British-based site and that maybe many of the forum members are British or European.  Hence my user name.  Is that the case, or would you say most of the members on this site are here in the U.S.?  (My user name isn't gonna make much sense if that's the case.)

< Message edited by Ken across the pond -- 3/8/2007 4:41:13 PM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> How do you find the media code when buying discs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI