CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1059 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Consumer Electronics] >> BD, DVD Players/Recorders >> What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? - 2/9/2004 4:19:50 PM   
hoosier

I own a iRiver ChromeX IMP-150 portable CD Player. In my car, I use a Philips PH62051 adapter kit which includes a CD to cassette adapter and a 12V DC to player power adapter (and both work fine).

At home however, every brand of 120V AC to player power adapter I have tried (including Philips) has not worked (the iRiver logo comes on briefly in the little window and then the player shuts off). I have read somewhere that only the iRiver AC power adapter will work with my player. But I would sure like to know why generic AC adapters, supplying the player's required 4.5V DC and "positive" tip polarity will not work. I am stumped !
Post #: 1
RE: What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? - 2/10/2004 2:50:22 AM   
MP3Mogul

This could possibly be a "marketing" campaign, and the actual AC adapter plug could be special. This is indicated, because you have indicated that you are using the "exact" required voltage, I would suggest checking the input plug, there is something special that is required, that the "generic" is not doing. I had this problem once with an MP3 player (Sonic Blue), and it would only work with their adapter, which was around 30.00 USD, and I could get a generic for around 10.00....

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 2
RE: What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? - 2/10/2004 4:56:12 PM   
hoosier

mogulMP3: Your rapid response is much appreciated.

The plug on the Philips power adapter (12V DC to 4.5V DC) and the plug on the generic adapter (120V AC to 4.5V DC) appear to be the same by micrometer measurement.

If it's a marketing ploy (which I believe is probable), isn't it strange that the Philips car adapter works, but the Philips AC adapter doesn't?

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 3
RE: What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? - 2/11/2004 12:55:16 AM   
MP3Mogul

Are you certain that the "generic" ac adapter is working? This is also a possiblity...

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 4
RE: What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? - 2/12/2004 4:46:13 AM   
hoosier

Yes, "generic" AC adapter works on several other devices I own. I have questioned "support" at iRiver (no reply yet). The iRiver web site no longer offers their brand of AC adapter for my player.

Off the subject: I'm new here, I allow cookies, I ask that password be saved, but when I log-in I need to enter username and password and when I want to post in the forum I have to enter username and password again. That's not how it should be is it?

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 5
RE: What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? - 2/12/2004 4:36:34 PM   
MP3Mogul

I think you have your permissions set too high in Internet Explorer, try selecting "always" allow cookies and sessions.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 6
RE: What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? - 3/5/2004 4:00:04 AM   
hoosier

I ended up buying the iRiver AC adapter from iRiver.com. The unit I received looks cheaper than the generic adapter I am using on other devices (including cassette recorders) and doesn't even have the iRiver name or logo threreon, but it does work!

I'm still puzzled as to why the generic adapter, supplying the required voltage, amps, polarity and seemingly identical plug dimensions, will not work.

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 7
RE: What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? - 3/6/2004 1:46:06 AM   
MP3Mogul

Hoosier,

There is probably some type of connector (inside the jack) that you cannot see, that makes contact... how small it may be that makes this work.... It's a shame they would produce something like this, and make you purchase from them..... But this is what they are in business for! [:I]

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 8
RE: What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? - 3/6/2004 3:53:17 AM   
hoosier

Sad, but probably true mogul. It's funny though that Philips car power adapter (12v dc to 4.5v dc) works, but Philips AC adapter does not work. But logic doesn't always figure into things does it ?

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Consumer Electronics] >> BD, DVD Players/Recorders >> What Is Unique About iRiver AC to DC Adapter ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI