CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1430 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 10/24/2001 8:52:43 AM   
DefenderSG

After installing Nero 5.5.5.1 (from the CD that came with the CDR Drive), I encountered an error message (when first starting the software) that says, "Under Windows 4/2000 burn rights are required by Nero to access cd recorders and cd-rom/dvd-rom drives. Please ask your system adminstrator for a permission to use Nero."

I am the System Administrator! (having given full rights to myself on my home standalone PC).

Can anyone help? I have a Lite-On LTR-24102B.

Plan as if you are to live forever, live as if you are to die tomorrow.

Retrenched? Looking for a career change? Want some side income?
Post #: 1
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 10/27/2001 9:53:34 AM   
DefenderSG

I found an article at CDR-Info that talks abt this problem.

According to the article, I'm supposed to be able to select which users can burn CDs under Win2k with Nero. When I try to install Nero 5.5 under Win2k in the setup process a screen is supposed to comes in which I must select the users group should be given burning rights (beside Administrator).

The strange thing is, I'm not prompted with this screen during my installation process!

Moreover, after reboot if I visit Nero preferences I am supposed to notice the extra "Security" tab (only for Win2k):

I don't have that tab either!

Now what am I supposed to do?

Retrenched? Looking for a career change? Want some extra income?

Edited by - DefenderSG on 10/28/2001 10:35:51

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 2
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 10/27/2001 10:57:37 AM   
hitbb75

I have gotten around the burning rights by not using the admin account but setting my normal 'user' account as having admin rights in the control panel\user section. Doing everything AS a user instead of Administrator is better practice in my experience and more secure. I did see that same error message before giving myself admin rights. Let me know if this helps...

HITbb75

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 3
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 10/27/2001 11:20:39 AM   
hitbb75

Sorry, if you want also want to just go straight to assigning rights you can go to: Control Panel\Admin Tools\Local Security Policy\Local Policies\User Rights Assignments

That should give you something to work with also....Hope any of this helped...

HITbb75

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 4
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 10/28/2001 10:39:35 AM   
DefenderSG

I did set my user to have admin rights in control panel\user section but still encounter the same problem.

When I went to Control Panel\Admin Tools\Local Security Policy\Local Policies\User Rights Assignments I see alot of policies. Which one do I set?

BTW, do u see the 'Security Tab' in Nero as shown above?

Retrenched? Looking for a career change? Want some extra income?

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 5
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 10/31/2001 10:03:41 PM   
CCampbell

Sorry, we had to disable the "Security Feature" as when this option was enabled, we found many programs that did not properly support this Microsoft feature would no longer function. To avoid Tech support calls, we disabled this feature.

We hope to have this resolved soon!

Regards,

Craig

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 6
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 11/6/2001 11:01:24 PM   
DefenderSG

The Nero web site at http://www.nero.com/en/driver.asp said that 'Nero 5.5.5.1 is the offical Nero version for Windows XP', but if it has this problem, then how can Nero declare that its software works with Win XP?!

Retrenched? Looking for a career change? Want some extra income? Go to http://go.to/btvisions !

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 7
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 11/14/2001 8:19:23 AM   
DefenderSG

I discovered that any user (even having administrator rights) booting normally would have this problem, while anyone with administrator rights booting in safe mode would be able to burn CDs.

My guess would be that there is a default setting in Win XP/2000/NT that disallows CD burning in Nero (which Nero admits in its Help file as below). Now, if only we can find that setting...

I did find a topic in the Nero Help file that may help. Here it is below:

Nero user group and recording priviledges under NT4/Win2k

Under Windows NT4 and Windows 2000 there must be a way to handle the security aspects of CD recording. CD premastering software like Nero must be able to send SCSI/IDE commands to CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives or CD recorders capable of writing on CDs. However, from the operating system's point of view, being able to send SCSI/IDE commands to devices is a huge security problem, because software could use the SCSI/IDE commands to format the harddisk, read other user's data or create other severe problems. That is why Microsoft decided to allow low level driver access only for programs running with administrator rights. This also is why Nero 5.0 could burn CDs only under the administrator login.

Now, let's assume the situation of a Windows NT4 or Windows 2000 PC in a network environment and with many different users. Security considerations make it absolutely impossible to grant administrator rights to all. So firstly, there must be a way to allow CD recording for non-administrators and being able to decide which users may record CDs and which users may not.
The way Nero solves this problem is to allow system administrators to assign during installation a group of users the rights to record CDs on the system. If an administrator wants to allow or disallow CD recording for certain users, it is enough to make the user member of this group or to remove the group membership of that user. If everybody should get the right to record CDs, the recording rights should be assigned to the group "Users".

In some situations, it might be convenient for the administrator to change the group assigned CD recording permissions. Nero has a new property page with title "Security". This page can be opened by using the menu command "File"->"Preferences". Administrators may edit and normal users may only view the group name of the users, that have the permission to burn CDs. Any changes of these settings become effictive after the next system restart. Uninstalling Nero will cause the recording CD rights to be removed again.

Retrenched? Looking for a career change? Want some extra income? Go to http://go.to/btvisions !

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 8
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 11/23/2001 2:20:43 PM   
tommi

I fixed this Problem, but on a German win2000 system.
So its hard to me, to tell the right way in english.
You must find something like local Security/Security Options.
There you find something about your CD-Drives. Change the Option.
So, you can write as normal User.

I hope, this will help, Sorry for this bad Explanation:-(

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 9
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 11/26/2001 2:07:10 AM   
CCampbell

For Windows 2000 or NT server systems, as long as you are logged on as Administrator it will work. (There are known work arounds of course.)

For Windows XP, I have had a few reports on those with Administrator rights who are not able to install or use Nero. So far 3 to be exact.

We are doing test on this, and hope to be able to confirm or deny this soon. So far we have not duplicated, but tests are not completed, so too soon to say.

If you are having problems, please let me know via this forum or of course directly at techsupport4@nero.com

Regards,

Craig

Some may wish to try the below suggestion to see if it helps.

quote:

I fixed this Problem, but on a German win2000 system.
So its hard to me, to tell the right way in english.
You must find something like local Security/Security Options.
There you find something about your CD-Drives. Change the Option.
So, you can write as normal User.

I hope, this will help, Sorry for this bad Explanation:-(

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 10
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 11/29/2001 9:39:37 AM   
DefenderSG

I tried to do what tommi suggested, but I can't find the exact option for that. Can someone help?

Craig, what are the known work arounds?

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 11
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 12/3/2001 9:39:34 PM   
CCampbell

There may be a work around, better than before, now.

Those who are interested in testing this, please send me an Email at techsupport4@nero.com and I will send three files, one a readme, to see if this resolves your issue.

Regards,

Craig

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 12
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 12/23/2001 3:17:11 AM   
InstaBill

Hi guys,

I reckon, there is nothing to do with rigths and stuff...
Try copying this little beauty into Nero's dir instead.
ftp://ftp.nero.com/wnaspi32.dll
It did the trick to me!
(win2k, nero 5.5.6.4)

InstaBill

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 13
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 12/24/2001 5:33:38 PM   
CCampbell

Yes, a number of times for Windows 2000 or XP, you need only load the latest WNASPI32.DLL File from our web site and install in the C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero directory and reboot.

And so far, 14 out of 15 users have tested our new workaround to enable our "Security" feature for Servers such as W2K and NT.

We expect to have this fully supported soon, so workarounds are not needed.

Regards,

Craig

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 14
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 12/29/2001 8:20:20 AM   
sio

I've also had this problem with Nero 5564 on WinXP.

I've now got this working by changing local security policy and installing newer wnaspi32.dll file:

- download ftp://ftp.ahead.de/WNASPI32.DLL and copy to nero folder (latest version 20141)
- Enable local security policy\local policies\security options\devices:restrict cd-rom access to locally logged-on user only
- reboot, log on as user and try nero again

Hope this helps.

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 15
RE: Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? - 1/11/2002 2:22:14 PM   
iofusion

I had a similiar problem... I uninstalled Nero and then later on tried to reinstall the Program, however the second time around I was getting stopped in my tracks during the install. I was not able to get past the... select the users group that should be given burning rights... but there were no selections to choose from, even the next button was greyed out so I could not continue past the screen, my only available option was to cancel. I'm using an account made with Administrator rights and I also tried logging in as the Admin, however, I still had the same problem. I tried what SIO posted but that did not work and also there was no Nero folder to copy the wnaspi32.dll to because the program was not installed (that is what I was trying to do). However, for anyone who runs into this problem, what I did was to simply download the update/demo from Nero Ahead and then install and enter the s*erial number. I did not know at the time that the update/demo was the full version also.

Edited by - iofusion on 01/11/2002 14:44:30

(in reply to DefenderSG)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Where to get Burn Rights for Nero in W2k? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI