CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Philips CD R/RW   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1368 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> Philips CD R/RW Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Philips CD R/RW - 9/12/2003 8:09:23 PM   
SharkDonn

I have a Philips CDD 4801 CD R/RW (factory installed). I can burn a new CD perfectly, but a copy of a new one gives me a notice about not enough buffer, and it won't complete the burn. It's almost two years old, but it has always been like this. Anything I can do, and is there an update download available anywhere?

Thanks,

Post #: 1
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/13/2003 1:25:05 AM   
MP3Mogul

What firmware version are you using with the drive? I found firmware 2.5.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 2
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/13/2003 4:24:46 AM   
SharkDonn

I have no idea what firmware I have. How can I find that out?

Thanks

Best//Donn

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 3
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/13/2003 5:05:39 AM   
Laffin Assassin

If you have Nero just use Nero Tool Kit and it will tell you all you want to know about your Writer !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 4
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/13/2003 5:25:29 AM   
SharkDonn

No, no, Laffin, you must understand I am somehwere beneath a neophyte at this. . . how do I find out if I have Nero? That level. Is that in settings or programs or what? I have the WinMe OS on a Compaq Pressario, supposedly a Pentium III, (it says on the label:) 8X CD-RW Drive with Adaptec Easy CD Creator Software> Does that help?

Thanks,

Best//Donn

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 5
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/14/2003 6:28:16 AM   
MP3Mogul

Yes, I would think that perhaps you do not have nero. You can, however download the info tool that Laffin is talking about at the following address:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940826989307.html

This program will give you a wealth of information as well.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 6
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/22/2003 10:08:41 PM   
netwerkjim

[Philips apparently didn't learn, so we need to teach them
]I was on the Net looking to find anyone who have had their Philips CDRW drive go out on them with in 2 years or so. I had the CDD4801 Drive that came with my Gateway PC I bought in 2000. It died on me like I said after about 2 years and only maybe 40 disks burned. I was lucky because my 3 year Gateway warrantee covered it, but I had to do some strong convincing to Gateway not to replace my drive with another Philips drive, what ever the model. They sent me a LG 48x24x48 drive that I'm very happy with, and is rated as one of the best. I guess Gateway got wise to the problem with the Philips drives but would not say there was a known problem with them.
My Friend, she wasn't so lucky her CDD4801 drive that came with her Compaq PC died about a week ago and her warrantee was for only 1 year. when she called me with computer problems (I'm a A+ certified tech) and told me the symptoms, not being able to get her CDRW drive to read CD's and her PC freezing up all the time, I asked her if the drive was made by Philips. of course I heard the how did you now statement and asked if it was a CDD4801 model. You guessed it same drive. Now let's get down to business, You have a Philips 800 series CDRW drive correct? is it the CDD4801 OEM drive that many PC manufactures put into their units they sold from about 1999 to 2001? or is it the Philips model PCRW804 UNIT? Either way they are the same unit. I have tried to get Philips to replace my friends drive. I explained to them I was aware there was a problem with this model and wanted them to replace or refund my friend money so she can get another drive.
Philips sent me back an email saying that they don't handle this model and I needed to contact Gateway to take care of it. I told them they were responsible for the defective drive since they made it, but after 3 letters to them the refuse to deal with me or admit there is a problem with these units,
So I trying to round up as many people out there who have the same kind of problems with the Philips CDRW they own, To email me and I will get the ball rolling to try to get them to make it right with the people who have this Junky drive.
I not talking about any law suit, not just yet. I will first try to make them see that it will be cheaper to reimburse people for their crappy then have the BBB the FTC and Consumers Report have negative warnings about there product which in turn will cause thousands stay away from their product and cause them to lose money.
Anyway I just need from you a return email confirming that you have the same drive and problems with it as my self and my friend does. when I can get around 10 or more responses from people having this cappy Philips drive I will contact the above agency's and start the ball rolling.
So please send me back your story with this drive and maybe I can get them to make it right with you.

James Fallon

Originally posted by SharkDonn

I have a Philips CDD 4801 CD R/RW (factory installed). I can burn a new CD perfectly, but a copy of a new one gives me a notice about not enough buffer, and it won't complete the burn. It's almost two years old, but it has always been like this. Anything I can do, and is there an update download available anywhere?

Thanks,

[/quote]

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 7
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/22/2003 11:07:07 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Please don't make Double Posts I have deleted your other one !!!

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 8
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/24/2003 5:17:22 PM   
SharkDonn

Laffin: I tried downloading the Nero Infotool, and it disappeared into my sytem somewhere--no infotool.exe, no nothin. I e-mailed them to find out how to find it, whatever it was, but they haven't gotten back to me (a week now). So if you have any other suggestions they are welcomed. BTW, whatever those numbers mean in your last post...what is an IE 6?

Yeah, the telepathy thing is funny. I always wondered if they need to ask your name when you call a psychic hotline. . .

Thanks. . .

Best//Donn

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 9
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/24/2003 5:39:04 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Right just click on this link :-
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroInfoTool_200.zip
And this will download it for you all you have to do is make sure you know where you are saving it to on your Hard-drive !!!

IE6 is the Browser you are using at the moment to Surf the Internet !!!

And yes sometimes on our Forum people don't give us enough information about their systems or problems they sometimes assume we are telepathic and we are running low on psychic's so if you know of any I am sure they would get a Moderator Job on our Forum !!!

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 10
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/26/2003 4:00:25 AM   
habs00rs

I too have a Phillips CDD4801 that is causing me grief. Updated from Firmware 2.1 to 2.5 without any success. In my case the green light comes on and flickers as if it's reading it but nothing in terms of accessing the data. Tried many different Cd's just to confirm it's not the media. Frustrated beyond believe! Ran the Nero Tool and confirmed Firmware level. Computer is a Compaq 5100CA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Running XP Pro. Maintenance up-to-date...ron

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 11
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/26/2003 4:50:42 AM   
SharkDonn

I don't know what to tell you to do about the CD burner, but EVERYONE I have talked to, every techrep (earthlink now, and MSN and AOL when I had them) said GIT RID OF XP, just pull it out and get Win Me or 2000 or 95 or whatever, but get rid of XP. I had xp, and it drove me so nuts I made them take it back--the whole tower and give me one with WinMe in it instead. I'd say, if you have AOl let it go also, and go to earthlink. When I got rid of AOL all my problems with media players--getting the radio staions I wanted etc. all straightened out.

My problem with this Philips is it won't make a copy of a copy. It'll copy something new, but not a copy--tells me it's not getting enough buffer. Where did you get the update?

Best //Donn

Best//Donn

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 12
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/27/2003 12:08:03 AM   
habs00rs

2.5 Firmware Update can be found at http://home.tiscali.be/stefsom/philipscdrw.htm Used Flashtool 3.1.5.0 with Apatec's ASPI with Laffin Assassin's Aspi fix

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 13
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/27/2003 1:34:20 AM   
MP3Mogul

There is NOTHING wrong with Windows XP..... WindowsME was a MISTAKE! As for AOL.. I have been a Beta Tester for AOl for years. I am currently running Version 9 and I have no problems as you mention above with any media player either??? I think you will find that your problem was not with WinXp, it is the most stable operating system that has ever been released from MS.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 14
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 9/27/2003 1:40:54 AM   
Laffin Assassin

I agree with MP3Mogul Win XP is the best version and most Stable they have ever made the only people who say it is crap are those who can't afford it or those who have no Idea how to set it up Properly (Which is not hard)!!!

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 15
RE: Philips CD R/RW - 10/22/2003 1:02:37 AM   
StingRay11

I have not seen firmware version YQS8 discussed. that is what Nero stated my version is. I run windows ME on a compaq presario 5000. Could you advise the correct link I should upgrade to or any other information I need to provide? I also checked the link I read for updating firmware to 2.5, however I did not see an update for the philips cdd4801[xx(]

(in reply to SharkDonn)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> Philips CD R/RW Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI