CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1257 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Audio >> RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 7/25/2005 11:34:39 AM   
Spaceentity

Great article.  I too have been looking at these and been wondering if they really work and are worth the money.

Can you list the other 7 or 8 devices that you tried, but didn't work, so we don't make the same mistake.

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 17
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 7/25/2005 7:06:32 PM   
hoosier

I tried 7-8 FM Modulators over a period of 2-3 years. All were of the "wireless transmission" type (I believe this is the important distinction). Not a one was even marginally acceptable (there was really never any point to try to compare them).
I am sorry I do not remember any of the brand names other than the Belkin II. But every new model that I found at Best Buys, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, etc. I bought, briefly tried, then returned it for a refund.

(in reply to Spaceentity)
Post #: 18
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 7/27/2005 3:33:01 AM   
emperor

Yes this is what i asked, we will try to review it too

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 19
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 7/31/2005 8:12:09 PM   
crazylegs

Please could you review this product as me and various others are waiting for the review before we buy this product....

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 20
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 8/4/2005 1:36:43 AM   
roadcatman

I bought my vrfm7 from costco last week, under $25. I really like it, what with a 10 foot range it really works. unlike several other wireless gadgets I tried. Well, I just tried hooking up an iPod-mini via the USB cable, and it does charge the iPod! And at the same time, I connected the audio cable to another iPod and played songs to the fm radio. Works with all USB flashcards. Until you can get a car stereo wired for iPods, this is a great option.

(in reply to crazylegs)
Post #: 21
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 8/4/2005 1:40:58 AM   
roadcatman

I just tested it with a single iPod, connected via USB cable to charge, and the audio cable to play the iPod songs. Works like a charm, providing power to the iPod while it plays.

(in reply to roadcatman)
Post #: 22
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 9/12/2005 11:28:05 PM   
grinder

I purchased the subject product today at Costco amazed at the features and price.  I tried it initially for a few minutes in my 2004 Ford F250 but was interrupted before I could listen to a complete song; I turned off the vehicle and removed the device.

When I came back later to use the device, no lights came on.  I immediately checked the fuse and noticed it was blown.  I replaced with the one provided and when I inserted the VFM1880 into the cigarette lighter it lit up briefly and I then heard a quiet ‘snap’; no lights.  I removed it and checked the fuse to find it blown again.  I bought some replacements, but after blowing two of those, I gave up.

Has anyone seen this behavior?  I don't want to give up on it just yet since it played my 1GB USB flash perfectly...at least for a few minutes.

(in reply to roadcatman)
Post #: 23
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 9/13/2005 12:08:53 AM   
hoosier

I've had mine now for about 6 months, use it every day between two vehicles, no fuse has blown yet. Costco is usually very good about replacing defective merchandise.

(in reply to grinder)
Post #: 24
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 11/10/2005 7:59:47 PM   
eas27

Has anyone had the following problem. I am using the VR3 modulator with my ipod shuffle. It will only play the same 2 songs. I have 72 songs on the ipod. I emailed tech support but haven't heard back in several days. I hope I haven't wasted my money.

thanks

(in reply to hoosier)
Post #: 25
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 11/10/2005 8:18:38 PM   
SithTracy

How are you connecting your iPod Shuffle?  The USB connection is likely not what you want simply because Apple has a unique way of managing files.  If you drag and drop your files to your iPod in disc mode, it should play for you... They should not play if you add songs through iTunes.  If iTunes is the way, then you need to plug into the headphone jack and the input on the VR3.

(in reply to eas27)
Post #: 26
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 11/11/2005 10:53:38 AM   
eas27

I was using the USB port. I tried using the audio cable, no luck. The end of the cable may be broken. Where would I get a replacement?

I did add songs via iTunes. How do you add songs by drag and drop. What do you mean by disc mode? Just copy them from Windows Explorer to the ipod?

If I drag and drop files, will I be able to hear the songs with my ipod/headphones?

Thanks for responding so quickly.
Elaine

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 27
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 11/11/2005 1:21:43 PM   
SithTracy

First of all, an iPod should be detected by Windows as a flash drive/removable media (not 100% on the Shuffle, but my nano is).  That means that in addition to a music player, it can fold data files.  That said, the iPod and iTunes experience handles music differently than say an iRiver or Creative player which basically is a drag and drop audio player.  You can't do that with an iPod... the music won't play... at least through the iPod management.  If you drag mp3 files to your iPod as if it were a flash drive, the VR3 should see them.  I suspect you have a faulty cable.  It's a mini-stero plug  on both ends that you could replace at a Radio Shack.

You may have some luck with your iPod related questions @ Apple Discussions.  I frequent that group as well.

(in reply to eas27)
Post #: 28
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 11/11/2005 4:25:51 PM   
eas27

I replaced the audio cable that came with the modulator. The guy at radio shack gave me an audio cable with an adaptor. It still doesn't work. The ends seem to fit right into the modulator and the ipod.

I turn the car on, plug in the modulator, red light turns on, I plug one end of the cable into the modulator, then the other end into the ipod. Start looking for frequencies. No music. Do the right frequencies change? I am able to listen to mp3's using my flash drive on 88.3.

Any other suggestions?

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 29
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 11/11/2005 6:57:31 PM   
SithTracy

Make sure the radio is tuned to the correct/preferred station to match the VR3...  If that matches it may be a bad port on the VR3 and you may want to exchange it.

(in reply to eas27)
Post #: 30
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 11/20/2005 12:15:30 AM   
aneathway

Well I found a wireless unit that works great! Got it at www.myfmstation.com and it was called LineX Portable, paid the money, shipped same day, used it with my IPOD and it sounds and performs like every wireless unit should!

(in reply to Spaceentity)
Post #: 31
RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! - 11/20/2005 8:22:37 AM   
hoosier

The VR3 modulator needs no batteries and costs about $30. The LineX Portable needs three AAA batteries and costs about $50. A head-to-head "performance" comparison would be good to have. Anyone want to try that?

(in reply to aneathway)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Audio >> RE: FM Modulator for the Car that Actually Works! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI