CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

New Version of DVDInfoPro?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1071 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> DVDInfoPro >> New Version of DVDInfoPro? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Version of DVDInfoPro? - 4/25/2005 4:40:16 PM   
NorseMan1

Hello -
Quick question, and my apologies if this has already been asked/answered and I just missed it on the forum. I tried to D/L the newest DVDInfoPro today and it says it is out of date. However, when I check for a newer version, I get a "you have the newest version" message.
Is there a new version coming out soon?

Thanks,
BD
Post #: 1
RE: New Version of DVDInfoPro? - 4/25/2005 4:50:28 PM   
Flash

From the DVDInfoPro download page

DVDInfoPro 1.54meg. Full install registered users only (Serial required)
This version never expires

Free Version with embedded adverts 1.59meg.
This free version will expire on 25/04/2005

I am sure that when Nic recuperates from his recent vacation an new release will be produced. In the meantime if you are desperate to use the application you could visit his website and purchase the full version which never expires.

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS
http://flashman.rpc1.org
http://www.dvd-recordable.org
I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY WAY THEY ARE INTERPRETED

(in reply to NorseMan1)
Post #: 2
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/26/2005 1:11:36 PM   
cryptomorph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flash
I am sure that when Nic recuperates from his recent vacation an new release will be produced. In the meantime if you are desperate to use the application you could visit his website and purchase the full version which never expires.

Actually this is the same nonsense I had to go though back in March the last time DVDInfopro expired. It stopped working a day early yet when looking for an update I kept getting the message that it already was the current version. When I downloaded what was supposed to be the latest version it was still out of date. DVDInfopro was out of commission for nearly 48 hours.

So unless Nic is constantly taking vacations, perhaps the better explanation is that he needs to get his act together. A simple overlap of having the new advert version ready a day or two before the old one expired could solve this problem. Another useful step he could take is to rename the download files to indicate a date. That way we would not have to download and install new files only to find they have already expired.

And before anyone says you get what you pay for... that this is an advert versoin... the simple truth is that all of us who use the "free" version are paying by having to deal with the ads. Nic is getting paid for our eyeballs. That is the implicit economic relationship. This is no reason why we should expect to be treated like second class citizens. The other reason I won't pay is because even though it's a useful tool I don't consider DVDInfoPro worth $20 US.

< Message edited by cryptomorph -- 4/26/2005 2:08:38 PM >

(in reply to Flash)
Post #: 3
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/26/2005 4:43:56 PM   
Matthew

There was a seperate "freeware" version, running at a somewhat lower revision.....

http://www.wintotal.de/softw/index.php?rb=1015&id=1868
This may be it, and 2.64 seems to be the last reported freeware (true freeware?) version.

The current non-paid is NOT free, NOT freeware, it's an ad-sponsored (though fortunately not external adware) timed trial ... ok, so you can get a new trial.

I purposefully avoid looking too deeply into anything like that, so as not to become dependent on it, even if that means using half a dozen other free utilities to do just the bits I'm really bothered about - there are some things where DVDInfoPro may be the only game in town, but I'll come to them if and when I need them.

I scan with K-probe (Liteon) or CDSpeed (any drive it can), and I identify with DVD Identifier - a fraction of what DVDInfo can do, but the only fraction that I need.

If it's scanning you want, and your drive is supported by other scan programs, now would be a very good time to change horses.

(in reply to cryptomorph)
Post #: 4
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/26/2005 4:54:39 PM   
zebra

To all those that want it,

A fresh version of DVDInfoPro will be out today. It would *normally* be a day earlier, but Nic has been away overseas on matters of DVDInfoPro, Sonic and Roxio. These are exciting times for us...many great things happening.

My humble apologies for the 1 day delay.

< Message edited by zebra -- 4/26/2005 4:55:17 PM >

Glory may be fleeting, but obscurity is forever

My home - Speedlabs.org

The Zebra BLOG!

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 5
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/26/2005 5:07:00 PM   
cryptomorph

quote:

A fresh version of DVDInfoPro will be out today. It would *normally* be a day earlier, but Nic has been away overseas on matters of DVDInfoPro, Sonic and Roxio. These are exciting times for us...many great things happening.

My humble apologies for the 1 day delay.

Thanks for the update. I hope it's merely a one day delay. I was in error about the last time it expired. It actually stopped running on the 15th... two days early... and the new version wasn't available until the 18th.

(in reply to zebra)
Post #: 6
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/26/2005 5:53:13 PM   
zebra

Mhhm. We should have the new version out within 5 or so hours. I will need to verify the installer code, make sure the versioning is correct, then upload the to the master FTP's on dvd-recordable.org and speedlabs.org.

Will get back to this thread once the process is complete. :).

Thankyou, for your patience in this.

My home - Speedlabs.org

The Zebra BLOG!

Post #: 7
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/26/2005 7:13:56 PM   
nicw

I find your comments abrubt and abusive, The only people I am in debt too are those users such as zebra, flash, kenw and others who give so much of their time. This program is a hobby and the registered version and paid user get first priority, however that said we have always released simultaneously to be fair. The advert version expires mainly to allow advertisers to alter, add or remove some adverts and to force expiration of old versions. I have NEVER guaranteed I will release a new one by the due date, and I will never promise that. A new free version is released if and when each of the members involved in getting it to you have the time.

cheers
NicW

quote:

ORIGINAL: cryptomorph

quote:

Actually this is the same nonsense I had to go though back in March the last time DVDInfopro expired. It stopped working a day early yet when looking for an update I kept getting the message that it already was the current version. When I downloaded what was supposed to be the latest version it was still out of date. DVDInfopro was out of commission for nearly 48 hours.

So unless Nic is constantly taking vacations, perhaps the better explanation is that he needs to get his act together. A simple overlap of having the new advert version ready a day or two before the old one expired could solve this problem. Another useful step he could take is to rename the download files to indicate a date. That way we would not have to download and install new files only to find they have already expired.

And before anyone says you get what you pay for... that this is an advert versoin... the simple truth is that all of us who use the "free" version are paying by having to deal with the ads. Nic is getting paid for our eyeballs. That is the implicit economic relationship. This is no reason why we should expect to be treated like second class citizens. The other reason I won't pay is because even though it's a useful tool I don't consider DVDInfoPro worth $20 US.

< Message edited by nicw -- 4/26/2005 7:16:49 PM >

Cheers
NicW

Rudyard Kipling wrote:
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you....If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools

Post #: 8
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/26/2005 7:22:10 PM   
MP3Mogul

quote:

ORIGINAL: cryptomorph

quote:

You sure are DYING to get the new version each time, yet you don't think it's WORTH the 20.00??? Don't be a cheapskate..... purchase the program if you want to use it, or don't complain because your old one expired. It's not too much to request you know.... it's obvious that the program benefits you, or you wouldn't be using it, and DYING to get the update...

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

Post #: 9
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/26/2005 7:34:29 PM   
zebra

Well said Nic. The development team, inclusive of myself and several other famous forum-faces are all very busy people. We provide the developmental aspects to Nic when we have the chance. We MAKE the time, to allow the end user the luxury of a freeware/adware version, once a month or so, at no cost.

If any of you are familiar with the enterprise linux paradigm, consider it like this. The full version of DVDInfoPro is considered to be like RedHat Enterprise Linux 4. It is big, it is fully featured. It has ALL the support one could imagine. The freeware/adware version could be considered akin to that of standard Fedora Core 3/4. It is big, it is fully featured, but it is a testing grounds...and does not have the within the instant-we-will-contact-you kind of support that the pro package offers. Even with the freeware versions, we go above and beyond to answer EVERY question that is asked of us, with no obligation.

Please take it all within context.

The bottom line is, we are trying for you, the end user. We want to see people get the most out of their software solution, no matter what the need. We have a very....VERY VERY large userbase, who for the most part are VERY keen on collaboration to make the software the best that it can be. It is a community we have created, not just an application. We want everybody to be a helping part. After all, this is what creates a strong sense of "ownership". Who knows, maybe you will see your names in the credits of DVDInfoPro one day, as well?

< Message edited by zebra -- 4/26/2005 7:36:23 PM >

My home - Speedlabs.org

The Zebra BLOG!

(in reply to nicw)
Post #: 10
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/26/2005 10:24:27 PM   
cryptomorph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matthew

There was a seperate "freeware" version, running at a somewhat lower revision.....

http://www.wintotal.de/softw/index.php?rb=1015&id=1868
This may be it, and 2.64 seems to be the last reported freeware (true freeware?) version.

Thanks! Im downloading it as I write. All I need is the CRC test.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matthew

If it's scanning you want, and your drive is supported by other scan programs, now would be a very good time to change horses.

I had hoped that Nero CD Speed might be a substitute but disks that fail the file and surface tests pass the CRC test. Since these disks play with no problem, I trust the CRC results.

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 11
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/28/2005 3:43:26 AM   
kortik

what does this program do?

Post #: 12
RE: Nic Has To Get His Act Together - 4/28/2005 3:49:39 AM   
Flash

Have a look at the website http://www.dvdinfopro.com for details

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS
http://flashman.rpc1.org
http://www.dvd-recordable.org
I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY WAY THEY ARE INTERPRETED

(in reply to kortik)
Post #: 13
RE: New Version of DVDInfoPro? - 5/4/2005 3:40:38 AM   
BlueRay

Hi...

First post here after months of reading !
I saw some of you complain about the expiration of their free version.
Wel.... I've got something strange, I'm using V3.55 with the ads for months and I don't have any deadline, it always mount. Can I know why ? Reason is, I would prefer to stick with this version than to have the 3.56 that expire in June..
So, it's not a bug, I'm happy, life is wonderful, but is it normal that my 3.55 is immortal ?

Sorry for my English ! Have a nice day guys. Sylvie Barthe.

(in reply to NorseMan1)
Post #: 14
RE: New Version of DVDInfoPro? - 5/4/2005 7:32:28 AM   
zebra

Very odd! Might be a reg. glitch! Will need to look into it!

Meanwhile, it is good to keep updating, as we often add MANY new features in new versions. :)

My home - Speedlabs.org

The Zebra BLOG!

(in reply to BlueRay)
Post #: 15
RE: New Version of DVDInfoPro? - 5/4/2005 8:09:54 AM   
BlueRay

If you want infos about my settings or if I can help, it's with pleasure.
It's strange, but I suppose it's the only glitch I have since the program is doing great otherwise. And it's not a problem to have it's life extended a bit :-)

(in reply to zebra)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> DVDInfoPro >> New Version of DVDInfoPro? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI