CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Pioneer DVR-109 review errata   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1383 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [In-House] >> Users FeedBack >> Pioneer DVR-109 review errata Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 3/31/2005 1:41:30 PM   
TobyG

Err, am I missing something?

Why are the DVD-R "writing" test graphs from Nero CD-DVD Speed actually reading transfer rate graphs?

I thought they looked a bit smooth!

The review doesn't actually contain any DVD-R writing test graphs from what I can see, rendering it rather useless.
Post #: 1
RE: Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 3/31/2005 2:27:00 PM   
Tony Veglis

Hello TobyG,
actually, in this page you can see all the DVD-R writing tests with CD Speed. The graphs look smooth indeed, and there are writing simulation tasks with blank DVD-R media.

(in reply to TobyG)
Post #: 2
RE: Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 3/31/2005 4:47:06 PM   
TobyG

Actually, that page has no DVD-R writing tests on it at all.

If you click on each of the images to reveal the full screenshot of the application, you'll notice that whilst the DVD+R discs show "Creating data disc" (i.e. a write test), the DVD-R ones show "Transfer rate test", which is a read test, not a write one.

(in reply to Tony Veglis)
Post #: 3
RE: Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 4/1/2005 8:44:06 AM   
Tony Veglis

The "Transfer Rate Test" you see in the CDSpeed DVD-R is a writing simulation test. The reason it does not say "Creating data disc" is that in case of DVD-R, no data is recorded on it during the test. On the other hand, data is recorded on the test with blank DVD+R.

< Message edited by Tony Veglis -- 4/1/2005 8:45:18 AM >

(in reply to TobyG)
Post #: 4
RE: Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 4/1/2005 1:41:18 PM   
TobyG

Well whether it's a read test or a write simulation test, both are equally useless.

I don't care how fast the drive thinks it can write to the media, I want to see what it actually does! The reason these graphs are so smooth is precisely because the drive is not actually having to write data onto the disc, and as such they are completely useless. Every graph I've seen of an actual write cycle are completely different to the ones in this review.

If this site is resorting to posting either read tests or write simulation tests and passing them off as actual write tests then this is beyond pathetic and I've lost all confidence in anything they have to say tbh.

Post #: 5
RE: Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 4/2/2005 6:15:29 AM   
Tony Veglis

quote:

Every graph I've seen of an actual write cycle are completely different to the ones in this review

Hey mate, an actual write cycle graph with DVD-R would be very interesting. Could you share it with us?

(in reply to TobyG)
Post #: 6
RE: Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 4/2/2005 6:22:49 PM   
TobyG

Sure, how about one of mine?

Verbatim 16X:

As evidenced by the "Creating data disc" message at the bottom, that's a genuine write test which actually puts real data onto a real DVD-R disc.

Such test are obviously beyond the capabilities of the CDRINFO reviewers

Post #: 7
RE: Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 4/2/2005 7:25:50 PM   
MP3Mogul

TobyG,

Before you stick your big foot in your mouth you might want to look here: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=12802&PageId=9 the drive was reviewed with ACTUAL writing tests, and it was posted on March 3rd!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to TobyG)
Post #: 8
RE: Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 4/3/2005 3:40:55 PM   
TobyG

When you've finished being insulting, perhaps you'd like to point out exactly where there is a graph of a genuine write test to DVD-R media on the page you linked, as I can't see one. All I see are write tests for DVD+R media and transfer rate tests for -R.

Whilst the DVD+R tests show as "Creating data disc", all the DVD-R ones show as "Transfer rate test". Whether this latter test is a read test or a simulated write test is irrelevant, the fact remains that in either case no data was written to the DVD-R disc and thus the test is pointless.

Are you disputing this? Are you claiming that the graphs for the DVD-R media are actually full write tests which burnt actual data to the disc, despite the evidence of the screen-grabs?

< Message edited by TobyG -- 4/3/2005 3:45:58 PM >

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 9
RE: Pioneer DVR-109 review errata - 4/3/2005 5:18:55 PM   
MP3Mogul

As I stated: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=12802&PageId=11 halfway down you will see a plextools scan done on a DVD-R media.

You shouldn't come in here and make insults without knowing what you are talking about.

Please BE INFORMED, read before you make such a statement, and an obvious fool of yourself.

Thread is now locked!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to TobyG)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [In-House] >> Users FeedBack >> Pioneer DVR-109 review errata Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI