The Xbox team unveiled a slew of announcements Tuesday at gamescom - the world's biggest gaming show held in Cologne, Germany.
The announcements encompassed everything from new content for highly anticipated game titles such as EA Sports "FIFA 14" to a new co-op mode for "Call of Duty: Ghosts" to details on a new program for indie game developers called ID@Xbox, which enables game developers large and small to build, publish and sell their games digitally on Xbox One.
Here are a few more tidbits and details of news announced at the Xbox Showcase event at gamescom on Tuesday:
- Share the pitch with some of football's (or, as we say in America, soccer) greatest modern legends, only in "FIFA 14 Ultimate Team" and only on Xbox! Fans will be able to play alongside such legends as Freddie Ljungberg and Ruud Gullit. Even better, it was also announced that all preordered Xbox One Day One consoles in Europe will ship with a digital version of the blockbuster game.
- There's no match for the "Call of Duty: Ghosts" experience on Xbox One with a new co-op mode and multiplayer features and downloadable content exclusive to Xbox One. The Xbox team also announced that "Call of Duty: Ghosts" on Xbox One will use Xbox Live Cloud hosting to provide dedicated servers for multiplayer matches.
- In partnership with Ubisoft, the Xbox team announced that "Tom Clancy's The Division," will bring exclusive content to Xbox One. "The Division" is a gripping open world game that sees a classified unit of tactical agents fighting an epic conspiracy and combating the effects of a devastating man-made virus which sweeps through New York City.
- Xbox One Premieres "Fable Legends" and Blockbuster Launch Lineup: Microsoft Studios debuted a brand-new exclusive for Xbox One: "Fable Legends" from Lionhead Studios. With the next-generation capabilities of Xbox One, "Fable Legends" brings you back to Albion like never before. For the first time, up to four heroes can cooperatively play and explore, or even play the villain and mastermind the entire game in real time.
- New features for Xbox One will bring games to the forefront, no matter who they are developed by:
Trending will show what your friends and the community are playing
Recommendations will highlight new games you may like, based on what you like to play
Spotlight will showcase Editor Picks for great games across the entire store
With Game DVR and Upload, gamers can instantly capture their favorite moments and edit and share them with their friends around the world
Achievements and Challenges enable developers and the community to create special events out of games
- The ID@Xbox program will give game developers the same benefits existing Xbox developers get today, including the full power of the new console, cloud services, the Kinect and Xbox Live toolset as well as a global support team, forums and local events to encourage creativity and help developers get their games published on Xbox One quickly and easily.