Canon, HP, Samsung Electronics and Xerox today launched the Mopria Alliance, a non-profit membership organization formed to promote, simplify and increase accessibility of wireless printing from smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices.
The Mopria Alliance aims to bring together the mobile, software and print industries with the goal of aligning to standards that make printing universally compatible from any mobile device to any printer anywhere. The Mopria Alliance will focus on:
- Breaking down barriers between brands by eliminating the need for users to download multiple print drivers
- Creating a better - easier and more accessible - user experience for mobile printing
- Introducing the Mopria brand and using the brand as a vehicle to educate consumers and businesses on the ease-of-use of mobile printing
- Influencing the development and adoption of standards for mobile printing
- Providing an open environment and tools for software developers to incorporate print into mobile applications
With Mopria, consumers will be able to print from their mobile device without having to manually connect to a printer or install software.
Mobile Device Manufacturers will no longer need to align with each individual printer manufacturer in order to deploy mobile print functionality.
Printer Manufacturers will provide ongoing print function compatibility with mobile devices without continual re-engineering and development with different mobile device manufacturers or service providers.
Adobe, Papyrus, HP Live Photo and Diptic plan to introduce applications equipped with Mopria Alliance standards.