Canonical, the developer of the Ubuntu operating system has turned to a crowdfunding site in an attempt to launch a handset pre-installed with its software. The company is seeking to raise $32m over the next 30 days to produce 40,000 devices.
Canonical launched the biggest ever crowdfunding campaign to develop the Ubuntu Edge, converging mobile convenience with desktop power in a single device.
By supporting Ubuntu Edge, the Indiegogo and Ubuntu communities will be accelerating the adoption of new technologies in mass-market consumer phones. Backers committing $600 on day one, or $830 thereafter, will receive one of these mobile devices in May 2014.
"Ubuntu Edge is the ultimate convergence device - challenging established norms for PCs and smartphones," said Mark Shuttleworth, Founder of Ubuntu. "The crowdfunding approach is a new way to prove demand for cutting edge technologies and new classes of devices; supporting the Ubuntu Edge is the best way to catalyze the next generation of personal devices from the industry."
The Ubuntu Edge will dual-boot Ubuntu phone OS and Android, and will transform into a PC when docked with a monitor, with the full Ubuntu desktop and shared access to all the phone?s files. For this it needs the power of a PC, so Ubuntu Edge will be equipped with the latest components and a 128GB of storage. The device replaces the traditional glass screen with a pure Sapphire crystal, so tough it could only be scratched by diamond. It will also pioneer the use of long-life silicon anode battery technology. A special dual-LTE solution will all allow high-speed roaming with access to 4G-LTE broadband in both Europe and the US.
Ubuntu Edge specifications: (subject to change)
- Dual-boot Ubuntu Edge into either Ubuntu or Android, and convert into a fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC
- Quad-core CPU and at least 4GB RAM
- 128GB of storage for photos, music, content
- 4.5in 1,280 x 720 display with scratch-resistant Sapphire crystal glass
- Camera made for low-light, fast response and close up pictures: 8mp rear camera, 2mp front
- Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
- Stereo speakers (Active Noise Cancellation)
- Connect to HDMI TVs and monitors easily with MHL connector, 3.5mm jack