Silicon Image today announced the UltraGig 6400, a complete WirelessHD transmitter for mobile devices that integrates a 60GHz RF transceiver, baseband processor, and embedded antenna array into a single IC package.
Designed for smartphones and tablets, this ultra-low power transmitter
enables high-definition wireless video connectivity between portable devices
and large displays, promising to deliver a cable-quality connection without
wires. The UltraGig 6400 mobile 60GHz WirelessHD transmitter is currently
sampling to mobile device manufacturers.
The UltraGig 6400 combines the beam-forming technology of a 60GHz RF
transceiver with an embedded antenna array to enable a high-bandwidth video
link to WirelessHD-compliant receivers and displays, thereby eliminating all
interference with Wi-Fi-based solutions.
The integrated baseband network processor ensures that high-quality HD video
can be transmitted with near-zero latency and without consuming host
processor resources. This approach is suited for mobile gaming and
interactive video applications.
The device is designed for low power operation, with all components in a
small form factor 10mm x 7mm package. This simplifies system integration
and eliminates the need for discrete antenna placement.
Key features of the UltraGig 6400 include:
- WirelessHD 1.1 compliant RF transceiver and baseband processor
- Integrated in-package 60GHz antenna array
- Ultra-low end-to-end system latency of less than 5ms
- 500mW typical power consumption
- Support for video resolutions up to 1080p full HD with multi-channel audio
- Standard video and control interfaces to popular mobile application
- Fully compatible with Silicon Image Gen3 and all WirelessHD 1.1 compliant
- Integrated MHL 2.0 compliant transmitter for optional wired HD video