Apple today released iOS 6, an upgrade that replaces Google Maps with Apple's own mapping technology and turn-by-turn GPS navigation. The company also released OS X 10.8.2, an update for Mountain Lion.
The 10.8.2 update includes new features and fixes. New features include:
- Single sign on for Facebook
- Facebook as an option when sharing links and photos
- Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures in Contacts
- Facebook notifications in Notification Center
- Share scores to Facebook, Twitter, Mail, or Messages
- Facebook friends are included in Game Center friend recommendations
- Facebook Like button for games
- Challenge friends to beat your score or achievement
Other new features
- Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
- iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac
- From Safari and Mail on your Mac you can add passes to - Passbook on your iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 6
- New shared Reminders lists
- FaceTime now receives calls sent to your phone number
- New sort options allow you to sort notes by title, the date you edited them, and when you created them
- Dictation now supports Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian English, Canadian French, and Italian
- The Dictionary application now includes a French definition dictionary
- Sina Weibo profile photos can now be added to Contacts
The 10.8.2 update also includes general operating system fixes. For more information and downloads visit http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1580
iOS 6, which also powers the new iPhone 5 that Apple introduced last week, is a free upgrade for owners of the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S; iPad 2 and the new iPad launched in March 2012; and the fourth-generation iPod Touch that debuted two years ago.
Apple introduced iOS 6 in June
at its annual developers conference. New features include Apple's mapping technology, an enhanced version of the Siri voice-activated digital assistant, tight integration with Facebook and Passbook, a boarding pass and ticket manager.
iOS 6 also adds Sirito one older device, the third-generation iPad.
iOS 6 can be downloaded over the air from iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches, or through iTunes.