CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RIAA Sues Deceased Grandmother !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 735 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> RIAA Sues Deceased Grandmother ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RIAA Sues Deceased Grandmother ! - 2/5/2005 1:03:18 PM   
SiliconFreak

The recording industry's latest assault on file sharing has netted an unusual suspect: a deceased great-grandmother from West Virginia. In a lawsuit filed in January, the RIAA accused 83-year old Gertrude Walton of sharing over 700 pop, rock and rap songs under the alias "smittenedkitten."

What the RIAA didn't know is that Walton had passed away in December following a long illness. Her daughter, Robin Chianumba, has lived with Walton for the past 17 years and told the Charleston Gazette that her mother refused to even have a computer in the house.

The Recording Industry Association of America admitted that Walton was likely not the smittenedkitten it was after, blaming the mixup on the time it takes gather information on illicit file swappers.

"Our evidence gathering and our subsequent legal actions all were initiated weeks and even months ago," said RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy. "We will now, of course, obviously dismiss this case."

But to many, Walton's case underscores fundamental problems with the RIAA's effort to crack down on peer-to-peer piracy. Because online identities are mostly anonymous, industry police utilize IP addresses to track the specific Internet account sharing music. Unfortunately, the process is riddled with inaccuracies and sometimes innocent -- or deceased -- people are fingered as pirates.

"I believe that if music companies are going to set examples they need to do it to appropriate people and not dead people," Chianumba told the Gazette. "I am pretty sure she is not going to leave Greenwood Memorial Park to attend the hearing."

The process doesn't need to be perfect, however. While the RIAA may not have enough hard information to win in court, most named defendants opt to settle for a few thousand dollars and a promise they will cease file sharing activities rather than face recording industry lawyers.

"I don't know if this is a scheme to get money, I just don't know what's going on. I am concerned," said Chianumba.

Source : BetaNews
Post #: 1
RE: RIAA Sues Deceased Grandmother ! - 2/5/2005 2:44:53 PM   
MP3Mogul

This would be a good thing to "cite" if the RIAA ever sued you, let them take you to court, and you can tell them they bring suit against dead people that never owned computers, how could they "possibly" know it was you unless they were sitting in your living room!

I can hear the jury now...

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: RIAA Sues Deceased Grandmother ! - 2/5/2005 3:59:30 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hahahahaa...totally true MP3Mogul......its good to know that this option exist...and its a very good one also... I am not afraid to be sued by them yet...but...since You never know what might happen in today's crazy world...its good to have some backup like this at our hands...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 3
RE: RIAA Sues Deceased Grandmother ! - 2/5/2005 5:39:42 PM   
MP3Mogul

Much agreed...!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: RIAA Sues Deceased Grandmother ! - 2/6/2005 3:35:35 PM   
SiliconFreak

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> RIAA Sues Deceased Grandmother ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI