CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

20 Years Of Windows !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 619 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> 20 Years Of Windows ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
20 Years Of Windows ! - 1/1/2005 7:27:35 PM   
WinThusiast

2005 will see the anniversary of 20 years of Microsoft Windows 1.

Start of the Microsoft Windows 1.01 setup program, running on a MS-DOS 5.0 operating system. The most modern graphic card was a EGA (Enhanced graphic adapter) with more than 64 KByte RAM, capable to display 16 colours on a 640*350 pixel resolution. (left side of picture below)

Finished setup and installation. (middle of picture below)

The main view on Windows 1.01. No icons, no program groups - just files. Windows 1.01 consist of all shown files - no more, no less. Quite simple menues. Notice the Name MS-DOS Executive (right side of picture below)

More details here...

Source : Addict3d

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: 20 Years Of Windows ! - 1/2/2005 8:01:29 AM   
MP3Mogul

LOL, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I had this! I remember my dual 5 1/4" floppy drives!

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
RE: 20 Years Of Windows ! - 1/2/2005 10:12:54 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hahahahaha...

I luckily skipped this version...and started with Win3.1...but...it wasnt THAAAT much better than this one I suppose...

But at least it was a start to todays most advanced OS's...so dont be ashamed MP3Mogul...because You were one very lucky guy to have such State-Of-The-Art technology at Your fingertips at that time....

Where have good old days gone...huhh......and....where is my C64 when I need it most...

ENJOY!

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 3
RE: 20 Years Of Windows ! - 1/2/2005 4:33:06 PM   
MP3Mogul

Yeah, I had it, and an Apple IIc.. remember those? LOL... I actually had one of the very first color cards that came out for the PC.

When Windows was first released, the only thing it had was a CLOCK... there weren't any programs for it at all... You had to write a batch file (.bat) to make it boot up... LOL... those were the days...

I still miss DOS.. I really like it better than today's OS's

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: 20 Years Of Windows ! - 1/2/2005 5:13:27 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hahaha...sure I remember Apple IIc ...although I didnt own one...but we were using them in High School to learn Pascal on them...huhhh...Pascal...another ancient language...

One of the first colour cards? Which was that? 4 colour one? or some 16 colour CGA? then MCGA...EGA....later VGA....SVGA....huhhhh...like it was yesterday...

And Yes...I know there werent any programs for first releases of Windows...but that wasnt big problem...because You could insert those 2 5.25" diskettes into drive, reload DOS and not having to worry about anything anymore...it all worked superb...

And today...can You imagine how much time and nerves would it cost You just to change OS...first to collect all programs and files that You will still need (and which are scattered all over the HDD in millions of folders) , then make backups...rethink all over again some 10 times...see which programs will still work under new OS and which not...etc etc etc....and finally start formating and installing new OS... I rather dont even think about that...

DOS days were really awesome...although simple...but at least more effective...not like today...when only OS itself may eat up all memory available just to boot......and even later...it eats up much more resources than needed...

Could You imagine having todays machines back in those good old days? Wowwwwww...running those games with todays Radeons and Geforces...together with some 3Ghz+ Cpu....some 2-3Gb of RAM...AWESOME...

That gives me an idea...maybe I will try installing DOS on my machine before some major upgrading or OS changes...just to see how the PACMAN 81' will run across the screen...or how Tetris tiles will rain down... (But really...I dont think it would even boot DOS on my machine-what do You think? ...btw...do You think someone still makes drivers for DOS3.1? For Graphic cards and stuff? )

Best wishes...enough 4 today 4 me...I started dreaming already...

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> 20 Years Of Windows ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI