CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Longhorn Server To Have One Version For Many Roles !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1187 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Longhorn Server To Have One Version For Many Roles ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Longhorn Server To Have One Version For Many Roles ! - 12/11/2004 10:28:21 AM   
WinThusiast

Users can configure the OS to specific tasks...

SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft will let customers configure the next major release of Windows Server for specific server tasks, rather than selling a host of different Windows Server Longhorn editions tailored to those tasks, a company executive said Friday.

The release, code-named Windows Server Longhorn and set to ship in 2007, will support much more granular role-based installation than does the current Windows Server 2003. This will include the option to install only the software code needed to support a certain role, such as terminal server or file server.

"We see this more as an option that customers will choose, not that we will package," said Bob Muglia, senior vice president in charge of Microsoft's Windows Server Division, in an interview on Friday. "Customers are going to want to buy standard Windows Server and then configure it the way they want."

Letting customers run a smaller code base could reduce maintenance costs for customers and create products that are less vulnerable to attack. The move marks a technical shift for Microsoft and could help it to better address the competitive threat posed by Linux, industry analysts have said.

The single Windows Server package is important to customers, especially large enterprises with hundreds of blade servers that want flexibility in how they deploy the software, Muglia said.
Full story...

Source : IDG News Service
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Longhorn Server To Have One Version For Many Roles ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI