CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1218 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 3/3/2003 1:28:56 AM   
aleryan

Hello. I have the Yamaha CRW -F1E drive and I need some help. When I put in a disc, no matter if it's a cd-r or something purchased like the sims, it will not read it. It sounds like it's scanning it but when I click on the "D" drive where it's at it gives me the error, "The disk in drive D is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" My husband and I bought this drive factory sealed on e-bay and on the yamaha website it says this voids the warranty, so I really need help! Thanks.

Nicole
Post #: 1
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 3/4/2003 7:06:26 PM   
johnnye

Is it detected properly when your computer boots up? I would get back into the computer and try moving it to another spot on the IDE cables. Try Primary slave or Secondary slave. You could also try booting from a windows cd, if that works everything should be fine once youre in windows. What OS are you using?

~j

Great Optical Media Guide ~>http://www.memorex.com/products/software/OMG.pdf

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 2
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 3/5/2003 7:48:32 AM   
aleryan

The computer detects it at start up and when I check the device manager. My OS is Windows 2000 Pro. I'll have my husband switch the drive to secondary slave and let you know what happens. If this doesn't work are there any more suggestions?

Nicole

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 3
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 3/18/2003 7:14:16 PM   
mitar

i got almost the same problem. i got message 'cd not inserted' but mine burns. i have it for a few weeks and never try to use is as a reader 'cuz for ripping i use teac 540 wich is btw an excellent ripper. i gues this is not a hardware problem, just something with aspi. i got adaptec aspi and aspi check utility says it works fine. do not know what to do.

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 4
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 3/25/2003 10:55:05 PM   
johnnye

You should try booting from the cd drive to at least verify that nothing is physically wrong with it, just exit before installing. This will bypass any ASPI problems you might have with your windows installation.

If that does not work, I'd recommend trying Hard disk on Primary channel as Master, and F1 on Secondary Channel as Master. That will determine if youre having ATAPI problems.

~j

Great Optical Media Guide ~>http://www.memorex.com/products/software/OMG.pdf

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 5
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 3/27/2003 6:44:30 AM   
sambs0

Looks like your problem in a mismatch of the two IDE device jumper settings on the IDE channel where the Yamaha drive sits.

The correct settings are either Master+Slave or Cable Select+Cable Select. Anything else is incorrect.

Here is an example:
Usually a PC comes from an OEM with one optical device on the secondary IDE channel set to Cable Select. When people buy another optical device, they often set its jumper to Slave or Master. In such the case, the Windows Device Manager properly identifies both chained drives (which automatically means they both are correctly identified by the BIOS !). However, the actual read/write access to both drives causes big problems already to the Windows Explorer (and DOS Prompt window), not to mention any CD-writing program.

So, as the very first step, I suggest you to check the jumper settings on both drives on the secondary IDE channel.

There are other possible causes, of course, but they come thereafter.

When intellectual values trashed, not me who gets over.
Am I obligated to mark broken environment?
2003-09-18. Time to depart the board...

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 6
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 5/13/2003 12:10:53 AM   
bigdaddy5

I have EXACTLY this same problem! I have a brand new machine I just built: ECS k7s5a pro MB, Athlon XP +2400 CPU, Seagate HD 80GB, 1000MB memory, Sony 3.5 in. floppy drive, Yamaha CD burner & a tv card, graphics card. The BIOS is set up correctly, the devise manager recognizes the floppy correctly, and everything is wired correctly inside. (I just took everything apart to double check cable not backwards, etc.) I EVEN REFORMATTED A 2ND TIME!!!

When trying to use the floppy, no matter what floppy you stick in the machine I get the following message: "The disk in drive A is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? This will happen whether a brand new disk or something with information on it? If you say OK to formating, then I get a message: "Windows was unable to complete the format"????????????????????????
What the hell is going on??? Since I built this myslf I can't call Dell or Gateway to fix it for me. Has anyone resolved this issue yet? This is the only thing I haven't been able to figure out yet and it's driving me crazy. I'd greatly appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks.

Danny

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 7
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 5/13/2003 12:27:19 AM   
sambs0

1. What Operating System are you talking about?
2. Does the BIOS report on the floppy drive correctly?
3. What is the boot order in the BIOS? Set it to boot from the floppy first.
4. Get a bootable floppy and check if it properly boots on an alternate PC. Try to boot from this floppy on your machine. If it boots Okay, that would be your OS issue. Otherwise, it is your motherboard or floppy drive itself problem. Please narrow down the problem so that we can proceed.

When intellectual values trashed, not me who gets over.
Am I obligated to mark broken environment?
2003-09-18. Time to depart the board...

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 8
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 5/15/2003 10:21:30 PM   
mitar

i finally figured out what's going on after i noticed my teac 540 reader does the same thing. then i just reboot and both drives are just fine. looks like my mobo is acting and i'm already making plans what to get as a replacement mobo.
johnnye and sambs0 thank you very much for your help

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 9
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 1/19/2004 11:09:16 PM   
Alicia

Oh Sheesh. I have a Yamaha CRW-F1 IDE version and at first it T@2-ed very nicely, making me very happy then it stopped working. I did have problems in the past with INCD screwing up my puters and I suspected this, so I uninstalled the drive, software, the other CDROM and it's software (a previous version of Nero) and put back only the Yamaha drive. The puter recognizes the drive and installed drivers automatically but here is where the good luck runs out.

It appears in the device driver. On first glance at the My Computer window it seems to be there, but if you try to get it to simply read a CD - either audio or data - it says

'The Disc in drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?'

Options YES and NO both get you nowhere.

I have uninstalled and re-installed I don't know how many times. I tried it in a second puter and then a third puter and still get the same results on all three. On the third machine I tried it on, I used another CD drive to install the Nero that came with the Yamaha drive and opened the Nero T@2ing part. But since I know what it should be doing because it used to work, I could see that the Yamaha drive was not actually reading the written CDROM because the unread portion of the disc was the wrong size on the screen. (unfortunately, that machine is at the office and I am at home now. I only just found out that it may be helpful to know which version I was running, but my problems seems to arise even before getting to the software stage)

I saw advice on the forum to try uninstalling the Main, primary and Secondary IDEs and to restart and allow the puter to find and install them. Did that, and it re-installed them all, no problem along with the hard drive and CRW-F1 but it made no difference. I have also already set the IDE that the Yamaha drive is on to Transfer mode 'DMA if possible'.

I have seen somewhere to check what firmware I am running but at the moment - it has not even got that far because I cannot run the CD in order to install the software anyway.

I would be so grateful if someone could help me. I am really pulling my hair out and I need this thing to start T@2ing again in a hurry!!

Thanks in advance

Alicia

Details of my set-up follow....This is the machine that I most want the CRW-F1 to work on.

Win 2000

CRW-F1 manufactured in Sept 2002 (just bought it unused in Dec 2003)

Driver version (according to Device Manager) 5.0.2183.1
Hard drive set to Master on Primary IDE
Yamaha CRW-F1 set to Master on Secondary IDE

No other CD software installed. There used to be but I uninstalled it all. Could there be bits left over that are affecting the drive?

PS. I sent this query to Yamaha with minor changes so as to suit the addressee and this is the rather unhelpful answer I got.

Hello Sir,

Previous versions of Nero don't support this fonction : only from the latest
versions this fonction will be supported.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Diederik Van der veken,
Yamaha Program Supervisor

Well I replied that I am actually a female but more importantly that the older Nero software has been off the system for a while now and could he please address the rest of the points in my query. Oh boy. I was really hoping that Yahama would be able to help me. My hopes are on your guys here...grovel....grovel...smile....batt eyelashes.....

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 10
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 1/20/2004 2:08:58 AM   
MP3Mogul

Alicia,

I can understand your frustration. I think you need to do a "clean uninstall of Nero" You can do this by downloading the following file from my server:

http://members.aol.com/mp3mogul/clean.zip

This program is from Ahead Software and will COMPLETELY remove all traces of Nero, both files and the registry. Next, I would try to install the ORIGINAL DISC of Nero that came with your drive. You can always update Nero from their website once you have done this. Please post back and let us know.

Also, make sure you are only using ASPI 4.60, to check or install it, you can download a file that Laffin has provided, also posted on my server at the link below, however FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTALLY!

http://members.aol.com/mp3mogul/aspi.zip

Last, please post back and let us know how things went.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 11
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 1/20/2004 7:28:46 PM   
Alicia

Hi MP3Mogul and thanks for taking the time to try and help me.

I did the Nero uninstall like you suggested. I still found that the drive was still giving me the disk not formatted rubbish so I went on to check the ASPI like you said. (thank you Laffin) I did indeed have some sort of problem with it but now it is 4.6 as suggested.

This still made no difference. So I took out the Yamaha drive and put in my old CDRW to see if that was still working OK and it is - reads fine. I used this old drive to load up the Nero that came with the Yamaha drive and then updated it from version 5.5.8.17 to 5.5.10.54. Then I put the Yamaha drive back in and still the same problem.

I have checked the jumper settings and order of IDE cables so many times that I think my behaviour would get me into a mental institution. I have looked in the BIOS to make sure I have the two IDEs set up correctly which it appears they are. I had seen somewhere to try setting the PIO to 4 which I did but still I get the same message when trying to read a disc.

I saw another message which asked which order the puter boots up - for me it is

ATAPI
ARMD-FDD
1st IDE-HDD.

I have noticed that the purple light is on all the time on the drive. I looked at what the colours mean in the manual and it says nothing about a constant purple. Is there a problem? It does blink blue when I insert a disc, but then it settles down to constant purple.

I am running firmware version 1.0d and I have been trying for ages to find out how I can upgrade the firmware. Tried through NERO and YAMAHA sites but cannot find it. Am I just going mad from spending days trying to sort out this problem or are the firmware links so well hidden that they are easy to miss? I emailed Yamaha support about it but based on their last useless and language-challenged answer, I am not that hopeful of a relevant answer.

Continued input would be SO appreciated. I am at the end of my tether and have not seen daylight today. So desperate am I to get this thing to work.

Thanks.

Alicia

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 12
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 1/20/2004 8:16:37 PM   
Alicia

Hello again

I noticed on another part of this forum, that someone else was reporting the same error as me - the disc not formatted thing - but didn't mention what CD drive he was using.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12403

For the lucky guy in that thread the suggested solution of uninstalling InCD worked.

I did uninstall the InCD a long time ago when I suspected there were problems. MP3MOGUL - when I did as you suggest and used the Nero total remover that you provided the link to, would that have also removed totally the InCD bits and pieces? Or is there something I should be using to get rid of that too?

Alicia

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 13
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 1/21/2004 4:53:16 AM   
MP3Mogul

Alicia....

This would have resolved this issue., and as it seems, you now have everything working correctly....... Thanks for coming to us, and hopefully, for finding the solution very quickly, we are very happy that this occurred...

Please, remember, that we are here "for you" with any question that you may have, either simple, or advanced, we are "HERE" for you........

Welcome to the forum, and happy burning!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 14
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 1/21/2004 1:18:58 PM   
Alicia

Hi MP3MOGUL

Nah, unfortunately, it is still not working.

After receiving the crap answer from Yamaha that told me stuff that was useless and in answer to something that I didn't even ask, I emailed them back to ask them to answer the questions I actually asked. I just got a reply asking me questions to which the answers are in the original query that I sent to them.

Oh Sheesh.

But thanks for your continued support.

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 15
RE: CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error - 1/21/2004 2:35:39 PM   
MP3Mogul

Is this the only drive you have (IE CDROM/WRITER) In the computer? If it is not, please make sure the jumpers on the back of the drives are correct, i.e. One must be set to "Master" and the other one to "Slave" Some systems use "Cable Select" as the jumper setting...

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to aleryan)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> CRW-F1E "disk not formatted" error Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI