CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

"character set" in ahead NERO   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1603 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> "character set" in ahead NERO Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"character set" in ahead NERO - 10/12/2001 9:55:09 PM   
DuckMuck

Hello,

I see a setting, when burning CD-ROM (ISO) in ahead NERO called "character set"...there are three choices:

DOS
ISO 9660
ASCII

What is the difference between these three settings? The Help Tool wasn't much help. The reason I am asking is that I would like to burn a data CD with filenames that are in Chinese (Big 5 code). They contain odd/strange characters. In the past, when I burned CD's w/ Big 5 filenames, although they appear on the CD and burned fine, when I click on them, they refuse to open. Since then, I have avoided using Chinese filenames. I was wondering if the "character set" setting might be able to solve this problem. Has anybody had any experience? Any info would be appreciated. Thanx!

LITE-ON LTR-24102B
Post #: 1
RE: "character set" in ahead NERO - 10/13/2001 2:22:13 PM   
CCampbell

What characters are allowed for ISO 9660 CDs?
The following characters are allowed:

Character set ISO9660:
'A','B','C',..,'Z','0','1',...,'9','_'

i.e. only capital letters, numbers and CD-Rs

Character set DOS:
All characters which are also allowed by the DOS file system. the following signs are not allowed: Small letters, special symbols with ASCII Code<=32, DOS special symbols such as '.',':',';','[',']','\','/','?','"','*','<','>','|',' ' (CD-Rs). In contrast a large number of the characters via ASCII Code 127 ('','','',...) are allowed.

Unfortunately DOS may not be able to read CDs with characters like this as the sort sequence of such characters hasn't been defined anywhere and DOS drivers can only read from CDs with sorted file entries.

Character set ASCII:
Here small letters are also allowed. Files of this kind can not be opened by DOS! In contrast, characters with ASCII Code 127 or higher are not allowed.

Character set Joliet:
All characters are allowed, apart from the following:

':',';','?','\','/','*','<','>','"'

Regards,

Craig

(in reply to DuckMuck)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> "character set" in ahead NERO Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI