CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1265 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 2/15/2003 4:57:38 AM   
missimc

After burning audio cd's with either plextor or easy cd creator 5 - and I play the cd (80 min 700 CDR) there is static *****ling noises on the burned cd - what can I do to prevent this?? I have lowered speeds down to 8x and it still does it - I have the master on the cd rom drive and the slave on the plextor and have tried 3 different cd rom drives - I have a Plextor 48/24/48a Plexwriter.

Please get back to me as soon as possible - thanks!!
Post #: 1
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 2/15/2003 6:15:27 AM   
Destroyer123

quote:
Originally posted by missimc

After burning audio cd's with either plextor or easy cd creator 5 - and I play the cd (80 min 700 CDR) there is static *****ling noises on the burned cd - what can I do to prevent this?? I have lowered speeds down to 8x and it still does it - I have the master on the cd rom drive and the slave on the plextor and have tried 3 different cd rom drives - I have a Plextor 48/24/48a Plexwriter.

Please get back to me as soon as possible - thanks!!

From what I've heard in my past experience with IDE CD writers, and from the info in the Plextor 48/24/48A manual, you should make the Plextor 48/24/48A the *master*. I do not know if this will help your specific problem, but I have read in the past that IDE CD writers (and the Plextor manual agrees with me) should always be *master*. So you could make the Plextor master, and the CD-ROM drive slave, or you could make the Plextor drive master by itself on the channel without a slave drive. I'm assuming you are using a motherboard IDE channel (as you should be) and *not* an IDE channel on an Ultra ATA PCI Controller (i.e. Promise Ultra/100 or Ultra/133)--I haven't had success hooking up ATAPI/IDE optical drives to PCI Ultra ATA controllers. Are you using a standard IDE cable? You should be using the standard 40-conductor IDE cable--a standard IDE cable is included in the drive's retail kit. I don't know how well the drive would work on an 80-conductor IDE cable.

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 2
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 2/15/2003 3:53:56 PM   
john

Maybe the source has static noise? Are you sure the power supply is enough? Can you playback the wav files before burning, can you hear any noise? what kind of PC do you have?

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 3
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 2/15/2003 4:44:23 PM   
missimc

The source does not have static - already checked into that - I'm running an 800mhz processor, will try running the plextor as master to see if that works - I also have both of the other two channels full (running 2 cd rom - incl plextor) and 2 hard drives. Been burning off of a real cd. Not mp3's

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 4
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 2/15/2003 8:45:38 PM   
clawso1

I've found in my experience that Plextor drives are of the highest audio recording quality. And though you may not hear any of the noises in the source disk, when the Plextor drive records whats on the source disk those "Noises" are picked up!!!

Regards
Cal

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 5
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 3/2/2003 12:46:32 AM   
tubbe

I have just bought that drive too, and have those noises too, and i haveīnt been able too remove them either, seems that nothing works, and i canīt firmware upgrade it either, comes up with an error..!!

,Tubbe

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 6
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 3/31/2003 6:40:25 AM   
phunkone

I have this same problem.

Plus, I notice corruption on data CDs that I burn as well. I am also running the drive as the slave, so I will try switching it to master to see if it fixes the problem.

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 7
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 3/31/2003 11:02:07 AM   
Halcyon

Those of you who have this proble, could you be so kind as to try Exact Audio Copy and extract the original (that you are trying to copy) and the copy (that has *****ling/static) as wavs with EAC and then use the Tools -> Compare Wavs -command to compare these two wave files. You could report the results here.

Also, could you state what audio cd (artist: cd name, record company) it is that you're trying to copy.

thanks,
halcyon

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 8
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 3/31/2003 12:25:45 PM   
Clint

Those who show these symptoms, could you please post your drive (s) TLA#, Place and date of manufacture (these can be found on the label on the top of the unit).

I had a TLA#0000, September 2002, Japan made drive doing this also...

[V]

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 9
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 3/31/2003 11:56:22 PM   
phunkone

I checked, my drive is TLA #0001, manufactured in October 2002 (in Japan I think).

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 10
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/2/2003 7:15:55 AM   
phunkone

I am puzzled with this.

- I moved the drive to be the master on my second IDE channel, no luck - it still had the *****ling sound on my audio CDs and wouldn't write data CDs correctly.

- Then I ran through the self diagnostic procedure, it worked - the drive ran through the tests and ejected my cd. So, according to that test it is not a defective drive.

- I changed out the IDE cable to an 18" from a 24" cable. Still no luck, the drive still doesn't write audio CDs.

- I am using Memorex CDs (48x rated), although I also tried the Verbatim disc my drive came with.

Anyone have any other ideas?

-Jeff

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 11
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/2/2003 8:54:10 AM   
phunkone

Ok, I got it to work.

After doing some research on my motherboard and other possible sources of the problem, I found this discussion thread on asusboards.com (I have an Asus P4S8X):

http://www.asusboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c894406d133c086486720b749ee67920&threadid=39651&highlight=plextor

As suggested, I added the DMA jumper and CDs started burning correctly. Slower than 48x (around 25-28x average it looks like) but it works.

I suggest anyone with this problem try using this jumper.

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 12
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/2/2003 3:06:21 PM   
huddy

I also have had the same problem. I have done every thing i could possibly think of (slowing speeds, device swapping, firmware updates,software updates etc etc etc. My drive has even been back to Plextor for replacement. The only thing I have discovered (as someone else has said), the drive likes to be master with no slave device attached to the same IDE channel. It works fine without my DVD installed as a slave. It's so weird as this only started happening after i upgraded my motherboard to the ABIT NF7-S (Asus solution no good in this case). I'm wondering if it has anything to to with the speed of the memory (using corsair 2700 333mhz). Is any of this sounding like a familiar pattern????? Any news - let me know...

Huddy

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 13
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/2/2003 9:21:19 PM   
toxicmonkeylove

i also have the same problem.
i too purchased mine at best buy
i've placed my plextor cd in to 2 other system, no change
i've installed a different cd burning in the system, and it recorded just fine.
upgraded to lastest firmware, ran both nero & cd creator version 5

phunkone solution does NOT FIX the problem

mine was built 0ctober 2002

maxiumpc magazine gave it a "10" (i am wondering if that was out of a total of "100"

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 14
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/3/2003 12:19:06 PM   
Clint

Ok.... My TLA#0000 drive was found defective. The static noise was a fault. I got back a brand new TLA#0103, December 2002, Made in Japan (it doesn't suffer vibration problem since it is >October 2002 make). I also had read errors with the TLA#0000 on data CD's, also I noticed that the static noise only existed in the right channel in CD-DA. Left channel appeared fine.

The new drive I received is perfect. Period. Absolutely excellent!

I'm not sure about all you other people's specific problems, they may or may not be related to mine, and may or may not be isolated. I say this because our review unit was a TLA#0000 and apparently doesn't suffer from this. I suggest you contact Plextor and/or your retailer.

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 15
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/3/2003 12:52:02 PM   
huddy

There must be something in common with this problem. The drive works fine on it's own. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the IDE controller, hence i only started getting the problem when i upgraded my motherboard to Nvidia chipset Mobo. Is this familiar?? I tried checking the DMA settings for the Primary and secondary controller but the Nvidia Mobos don't have them listed (only the Nvidia Controller). There must be something we all have in common that is causing this problem. I have had a new drive from Plextor and this did not cure the problem!!

CPU : AMD 2600+
Mobo: Abit NF7-S (Nvidia v.2.03 drivers)
GPU: Leadtek Geforce ti4600 (latest detonator drivers)
HD: 2xIBM 60gb UDMA drives
OD: Hitachi 2600gd, CD/R Plextor 40/1240/a (firmware 1.04)

Huddy

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI