CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

MPAA Tool Will Finger Stolen Films !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 657 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> MPAA Tool Will Finger Stolen Films ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MPAA Tool Will Finger Stolen Films ! - 11/18/2004 6:04:17 PM   
SiliconFreak

The motion Picture Association of America is to offer a tool to help users locate illegally downloaded files on their system, the organisation said today.

The software will be able to scan the system and find all sorts of music and movie titles stored on a computer, along with illegal peer-to-peer software, according to a report in PCWorld.

Once found, the programme can remove the files if the user would like. The tool is aimed at parents who want to keep their kids out of trouble, since the MPAA concurrently launched a new wave of lawsuits against movie sharers.

Quite how the programme will distinguish between illegal and legal MP3s is unclear at the moment. Plenty of legal MP3 download sites are around that simply download the file to your hard drive much as with peer-to-peer schemes. It is also clear that peer-to-peer can be used to download legal material, so the deleting of these programmes by this tool is pretty questionable.

The MPAA has set up a new website to spread its message, which you can find at respectcopyright.org . Apparently, though, you're only entitled to respect copyright if you have Macromedia Flash.

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
RE: MPAA Tool Will Finger Stolen Films ! - 11/19/2004 5:00:44 AM   
Cooler

That kind of software, if running, would wreack a havoc in my computer... without any question!
The problem is... I don't have any illegal music or movie titles on my computer - Every one of them is legal!
Deleting any of those files without me Ok'ing the act would make MPAA's software itself illegal...

Oh... and can someone explain to me what is "illegal peer-to-peer software", unless license and/or copyright or original peer-to-peer software is violated? Apparently that MPAA's software is as intentionally blind as certain spyware scanner for "corporate use".

Quae dant, quaque negant, gaudent tamen esse rogatae.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: MPAA Tool Will Finger Stolen Films ! - 11/19/2004 10:46:26 AM   
SiliconFreak

Ohh...we meet again Cooler...first at Game News...now here...

Anyway...I wouldnt worry too much about this software...because it wont just delete Your (only some possible illegal ones) files on disk...as far as I could understand...is...that this is only some way of prevention...so that user may check if he/she has some illegal programs/files/mp3s,...in computer (so that he/she may be prepared when the FBI guys knock on his/her doors with arrest warrant ). So deletion of any illegal files will be up to each user to decide...whether to delete them...or leave them, knowing that You might have problems with them in case they do inspection at your home (but I guess the biggest fear for all that is for USA members)...because in some China noone cares that much about piracy... (dont know about Finnland, Cooler - check Your Government policy about that issue)

And shortly about peer-to-peer (my opinion)...I think that no such program is illegal...because its up to each user, what to download with such program...and only those (members decisions) are making it "illegal"...or should I rather say...not that the program is illegal then...its just that the member is violating copyright and possible some other laws...so he/she should be responsible for her/his decisions... If I set one example...Kitchen knife isnt forbidden or illegal...so if we use it for what is supposed to be used...there will be no problems...but...if someone use it to attack someone else with it (or do something else also illegal with it), then he is guilty for what he did...and should bear consequences for that... The knife itself doesnt have nothing to do with those "illegal" acts of its user... Got the point?

Huuhhhh...this stuff tired me up...need to take some coffe-break...cya soon.

(in reply to Cooler)
Post #: 3
RE: MPAA Tool Will Finger Stolen Films ! - 11/19/2004 4:20:44 PM   
MP3Mogul

They're bluffing anyway. There's nothing they can install on your computer if you have a firewall. Peer to Peer are programs such as Kazaa, Morpheous, BearShear, etc....

At least in the USA, if they install a piece of software on your computer without your consent, THEY have violated a law themselves...

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: MPAA Tool Will Finger Stolen Films ! - 11/19/2004 4:31:25 PM   
MP3Mogul

MPAA wants parents, teachers to rat on their kids
Posted by Quakester2000 on 19 November 2004 - 14:24 - Source: The Register

GristyMcFisty used our news submit to tell us that the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) has thought of a new way of splitting up the family. The MPAA's new piece of software that will search and seek out pirate movies on a computer are hoping encourage parents to report their children to the authorities.

The companies that want to combat piracy had initially thought of spy ware like software that would install itself automatically and remove all mp3 files from the computer. The idea of automatically installing software was immediately dropped as legal challenges and lawsuits could have hit these companies had this plan been put into use.

The MPAA is hoping that worried parents will volunteer to install their new software that will search out and flag pirated movies on a computer and delete them. With the consent of the parent the MPAA will be able to avoid any lawsuits as well as identify the infringers of copyright. The new software will allow parents to report their children or through the MPAA's new DARE scheme children will able to report their parents. Earlier this summer the MPAA's was found to have exaggerated movie piracy statistics for movie sharing on the internet.

In a fight against these companies and their smart anti piracy blitzes a Pro culture group called Downhill Battle is trying to alert kids to misleading information given to them by the MPAA and RIAA. The group are trying to educate kids about the dangers of Willie the Weasel who is employed by the RIAA / MPAA and goes from school to school to educate kids about piracy.

Conservatives often accuse Hollywood of failing to pay heed to "family values", but the Motion Picture Ass. of America"s latest initiative is designed to split families right down the middle. The MPAA hopes that new software will encourage parents to turn their children over to the authorities as file-sharing felons.The software, designed to identify potentially infringing material on the home PC, is part of the MPAA"s war on file sharing and will be released for free by the MPAA at a later date.

As expected, the MPAA filed its first John Doe suits against file sharers today.The copyright lobbyists have raised the prospect of snoopware before, and last year disclosed that they had developed two pieces of spyware, one of which invaded the PC and then tagged and destroyed MP3 files.

This threat was more apparent than real, as any such software would be criminal and the RIAA would have faced a barrage of lawsuits. But by hoping that anxious parents will install the software themselves, thus giving consent, the MPAA can get round its most pressing problem: that it doesn"t really know who the infringers are. In every home, the MPAA hopes, is an informer: an anxious parent.The DARE program encourages children to rat out their parents, so the Stalinist precedent has already been set in the United States (perhaps it"s been here since Salem).

This summer, the MPAA was embarrassed after using bogus statistics to exaggerate the level of movie trading on the Internet. Pro-culture group Downhill Battle is fighting back with a campaign to alert kids to the dangers of Willie the Weasel, who represents misleading copyright information being targeted at school children by the BSA and the MPAA.

Looks like profits mean more than the family anymore. Parents ratting out their children or vice versa sounds like they are trying to employ secret police everywhere.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 5
RE: MPAA Tool Will Finger Stolen Films ! - 11/19/2004 5:19:27 PM   
SiliconFreak

Interesting reading...like I said...its some kinf of new-age computerized babysitter...helping parents with analyzing whether their little kids have something illegal on their computers (so they could report them to FBI )...

No more comments on that 4 now from my side...I will wait and try to get one copy of this and check it out...and then we'll see the ups and downs of such "revolutional software"

Enjoyyy...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> MPAA Tool Will Finger Stolen Films ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI