CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1473 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way ! - 11/13/2004 12:33:28 PM   
SiliconFreak

The Christmas-themed movie Noel most likely won't be coming to a theatre near you - but if you miss it on cable, there's always the self-destructing DVD.

The movie's producers hope its ``trimultaneous'' roll out this month, which starts this weekend with a theatre release in just five major cities, will prove the public is willing to rent movies that must be tossed in the trash after just a viewing or two.

Disposable DVDs look and play like normal DVDs, except that their playable surface is dark red.

Each disc contains a chemical time-bomb that begins ticking once it's exposed to air. Typically, after 48 hours, the disc turns darker, becoming so opaque that a DVD player's laser can no longer read it. (Discs can live as little as one hour or as long as 60 hours.)

The format has been around for a few years but hasn't generated much interest from movie studios, video rental companies - or customers - despite experiments to deliver movies direct to consumers and eliminate late fees.
Full story...

Source : AsociatedPress
Post #: 1
RE: Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way ! - 11/14/2004 11:23:21 AM   
SilentBob

Just what we need, more trash to clog up landfills. Seems like someone has watched a few to many inspector gadget episodes with the exploding mission briefings if they thing this'll fly. Maybe a military application but for consumers... get real. What happens if you have a power outage and can't watch the movie that night... oops, guess you'll have to buy it again. What will they think of next???

Silent Bob
NEC3500A 2C8
LG4120B A111

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way ! - 11/14/2004 3:55:35 PM   
SiliconFreak

Yep, Seems like some crazy idea to me also...

I would agree with that if 1 such CD or DVD would cost maybe 1 or 2 cents...but i guess thats not gonna happen...

This really looks bad...I guess there will be more illegal copying than now...but anyway...let them try and find out...who cares...they will loose at the end...

Cya guys...and dont open such CD/DVDs unless You'll watch them tonight or at least tommorow morning...otherways they might turn from RED to BLACK, making them useless junk...

*SF OUT*

(in reply to SilentBob)
Post #: 3
RE: Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way ! - 11/14/2004 4:50:37 PM   
MP3Mogul

It's not gonna fly... people are going to get really mad, because they're going to open them, and they're already going to be black, etc....

Post #: 4
RE: Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way ! - 11/15/2004 5:16:07 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hey MP3Mogul...sure they're gonna fly...INTO TRASH CANS!!!

Btw...just got an idea...since such CDs/DVDs would have to be cheaper than "ordinary" ones (at least if they expect that someone would buy them)...it would make sence to buy them...and make "backup" copies of them onto "normal" CDs/DVDs (thats not illegal I guess - but some M$-alike firms would soon fight and argue about that too, like they always do - but who cares )...soooo...at the end...we would again have working programs,games,music,... And we could send them back those black CDs/DVDs, so they could recycle them and provide us with more new stuff...so we could burn more new "backup copies"...GO NERO GO...

ENJOY! (its not gonna be that BLACK as it seems on first sightl)

Post #: 5
RE: Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way ! - 11/15/2004 7:22:15 PM   
MP3Mogul

I can't wait to purchase one and try exactally that!

Post #: 6
RE: Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way ! - 11/16/2004 6:02:29 AM   
SiliconFreak

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Self-Destructing DVDs Are On The Way ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI