CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Samsung YH-920 20GB MP3 Player !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1124 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Samsung YH-920 20GB MP3 Player ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Samsung YH-920 20GB MP3 Player ! - 11/11/2004 1:56:25 PM   
SiliconFreak

Samsung just announced the YH-920 / YH-920GS in Japan, but this is one of the rare occasions where a gadget is already on sale in the United States before it hits the shelves in Japan.

The Samsung YH-920 20GB MP3 Player is on sale currently for a low $239.99 on Amazon.com.

The YH-920 comes bundled with the Napster music store software. The Battery holds 10 hours. The Samsung Hard-drive player supports OGG, MP3 and WMA. Other features include: USB2.0, FM Tuner, Voice Recorder and direct encoding. The player measures 2.42” x 4.2” x 0.65”.

More cool new mp3 players on our MP3 Player ranking site MP3PlayersRule

Source : I4U

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Samsung YH-920 20GB MP3 Player ! - 11/22/2004 9:31:33 PM   
Whatever

When recording from FM this player encodes in MP3, I believe. Do you know if those files can be copied to a PC and burned to CD, or are the copywright protected somehow?

Or, does anyone know of any MP3 player that will encode FM broadcast in MP3 or WMA which can be burned to CD?

Thanks.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Samsung YH-920 20GB MP3 Player ! - 11/23/2004 5:58:21 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hi, Whatever!

As far as I could find out, there should be no problems with downloading files back to PC. And, Yes, it does encode FM directly to MP3 (and maybe WMA also). People who have it, said that its great unit and that the sound quality of FM recordings is on very high level (I believe it depends on quality of FM signal, but overall there should be no problems).

You also asked about any other players that may encode FM in MP3 and store it back to PC for burning?...well...there are many on the market (it depends whether You wish smaller USB stick-alike or like this one with hard drive built one?)...I actually just bought one over Ebay...its the "ordinary" USB MP3 player with 512Mb+FM+Voice recording...but its more than enough for my use... Since I bought it few days ago, havent received it yet...but if You wish...I may tell You more when I do (should be here within a week). In meanwhile...try searching at Ebay or some other online store...

Have a nice day and ENJOY!

(in reply to Whatever)
Post #: 3
RE: Samsung YH-920 20GB MP3 Player ! - 11/23/2004 10:39:24 AM   
Whatever

Thanks, SiliconFreak.

My main concern is whether the FM radio recordings (MP3's) can be burned to CD. On Samsung's FAQ's I've read, for example:

June 2004:
Why Can't I Copy My MP3 Files From My Yepp Player To My PC?

The copyright protection software used in MP3 files prevents you from copying MP3 files from your Yepp player to your PC.

I guess this refers to Napster downloads, considering the following faq, also in June '04 (regarding the YP-910 question about Napster files):

Napster files are DRM (Digital Rights Management) encrypted.

It's a bit confusing to me.

Also in the faq's I found this:

Are Songs Ripped From CD's Or Downloaded Through Other Sources Considered "Protected" In The Napster Software?

Songs you rip from CD's or download from other sources such as cassette players and radios are not protected in Napster. They are standard files.

Songs you download from other pay for music internet sites that use DRM (Digital Rights Management) encryption to protect song copyrights - as does Napster - are protected in Napster.

It's not clear whether "radios" here are line in recordings or include recordings from the built in FM tuner.

Another curious thing to me is this 6/04 faq (not specific to the yh-920, i.e., it doesn't indicate that this applies to any one player):

Can I Record Songs From The Radio As A Voice File And Then Convert That File To MP3 Format?

No. You will need to acquire 3rd party conversion software. Samsung does not provide such software.

Elsewhere I thought I read that voice recordings on these players are, in fact, in MP3 format.

I thought I read somewhere that you can drag and drop files between player and pc, the YH-920 being like any other removable drive, but I read somewhere at Samsung that the files have be be "imported" to the PC via the Napster software--maybe that applies only to Napster downloads?

I'm very impressed with the YH-920GS. Though it's probably more than I need, it has very intuitive controls, it has a rechargeable battery (via USB or AC) and firmware is upgradeable. But I'm undecided. I really like the Creative MuVo slim--great form factor/size, fm recording, solid looking, available in 1GB. And, though I didn't think I liked the iRiver iFP's, when I handled one at Best Buy I really liked the feel and look. The Samsung Yp-5's are also impressive, USB 1.1 and 256MB max eliminate them for me.

I just wish I could see more of the available players in one place, AND see the whole package, like the accessories, especially earphones and case, and fiddle with them before spending the money.

quote:

ORIGINAL: SiliconFreak

Hi, Whatever!

As far as I could find out, there should be no problems with downloading files back to PC. And, Yes, it does encode FM directly to MP3 (and maybe WMA also). People who have it, said that its great unit and that the sound quality of FM recordings is on very high level (I believe it depends on quality of FM signal, but overall there should be no problems).

You also asked about any other players that may encode FM in MP3 and store it back to PC for burning?...well...there are many on the market (it depends whether You wish smaller USB stick-alike or like this one with hard drive built one?)...I actually just bought one over Ebay...its the "ordinary" USB MP3 player with 512Mb+FM+Voice recording...but its more than enough for my use... Since I bought it few days ago, havent received it yet...but if You wish...I may tell You more when I do (should be here within a week). In meanwhile...try searching at Ebay or some other online store...

Have a nice day and ENJOY!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Samsung YH-920 20GB MP3 Player ! - 11/23/2004 6:57:06 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hi again, Whatever!

Did a little research about Your desired Samsung Beauty...

But although I spend nearly an hour searching for some detailed info or review...all I came across were 3 links that offer at least some details (other than those basic ones).

I will write and explain those 3 links below...let me first try to answer Your questions (dont take my answers as totally right ones...I might be wrong somewhere...because this YH-920 details are so confusing that You must be some audio-professional to understand them...and even then...You would understand some 10%... It just really very strange..and wrapped in some secret paper...Samsung is keeping details of this device so hidden, like they developed something the world has never seen before).

Anyway...let move on to answers...
"Cant copy files to PC" issue...Thats true only for those protected files(by Napster)! Other files can be copied on and from PC! (You could read more at links below!)

"Are ripped songs protected?" issue...No! Radio FM recorded songs or songs recorded from external source (like CD player) or voice recordings, ARENT protected in Napster! So You may copy them all onto Your PC!

"Can I Record Songs From The Radio As A Voice File And Then Convert That File To MP3 Format?" issue...I dont know where You read that, but Samsung states that Voice recording and FM radio recording (and also rips from external CD drives) is stored directly into MP3 format! (so no need to convert them into MP3 I guess - You could also read more at links below). And You may also set sampling rate, Bit rate and input level for those recordings!

"Drag&Drop" issue...I also read about that somewhere...and maybe its true...because copying to PC is really foing thru Samsungs utility (not Napsters as they said)...so it might take little longer this way...buy at least You will be able to copy recordings...

So thats it...let me just say that I totally agree with You that it would be much easier for potential buyer to see more such deviced and accessories and to be able to compare them, but unfortunatelly I didnt found any such place (maybe because I was more into searching for reviews and detailed specifications).

And now for the links...

1st...DesignTechnica Reviews (I guess You read it already buy anyway...just click on USER REVIEWS there and check out what other users have to say about it)

2nd...Napster (More info about protected files and other interesting stuff! At least read entire QUICK HELP and TERMS AND CONDITIONS topics! Btw..Napster files are WMA 128kbps only!)
This is also interesting (copied from TERMS AND CONDITIONS) :
You may transfer a Purchased Track an unlimited number of times to portable devices that are compatible with the Service's Usage Rules and security requirements. Once you have transferred a Purchased Track to a compatible portable device, you agree not to copy, distribute, or transfer it from that device to any other media or device.

3rd...SamsungUSA (You will be taken directly to YH-920 details page, so check it out and then just click on INTERACTIVE MANUAL!! There I advice You to check all interactive links...specially those below...
INSTALATION AND SETUP > USING UTILITIES (all about transfering files to PC via their Utility! Also read NOTE below at each of those links - because many contain other important data! - this one here states that files that You move with this utility will be automatically deleted from device once copied to PC! )
USING PLAYER > RECORDING FROM FM RADIO
USING PLAYER > RECORDING VOICE
USING PLAYER > RECORDING MP3s
ADDITIONAL FEATURES > RECORDING SETTINGS
CUSTOMER SUPPORT > TROUBLESHOOTING

Huhhhhhhhhh....I almost wrote an essay here...I better go to sleep...oooopppsssssss...not yet...still there are more news to post...

Well...I hope that this helped You at least a bit...like I said..its really very hard to find much details about this device...but I think this will at least answer some of Your questions and thoughts...and if not...just let me know...and I will wrote another story here tommorow...

ENJOY!

p.s. And let me know later if everything works like advertised on those links above, if You decide to buy this baby. (Or maybe You could even write a review about it...because as You may see...there is not even 1 single good&reliable review in entire cyberspace about it!)

CIAO.

(in reply to Whatever)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Samsung YH-920 20GB MP3 Player ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI