CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Sun Readies New Solaris Push, Snipes At Linux !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1250 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Sun Readies New Solaris Push, Snipes At Linux ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sun Readies New Solaris Push, Snipes At Linux ! - 11/3/2004 12:11:40 PM   
SiliconFreak

Sun Microsystems Inc. officials on Tuesday offered new details on its open-source strategy. The company said publicly what most industry players understood for a long time: Sun's top priority is supporting its Solaris operating system rather than Linux.

At a briefing in San Francisco ahead of this month's launch of Solaris 10, John Fanelli, the senior director of marketing for Sun's network systems group, told reporters that Sun's upcoming Solaris 10 would be cheaper than, say, a Red Hat Inc. Linux solution.

"It is not that we're trying to undercut Linux, and we ship and support Red Hat on our systems, but we are going to do everything we can to provide the most compelling Solaris environment," Fanelli said. "Solaris is our top priority, as is satisfying customer demand. But in those areas where Solaris doesn't meet that demand, we have and support Linux."

Sun, of Santa Clara, Calif., is also preparing to deliver its new compatibility technology known as Project Janus, which will allow users to run Linux binaries natively on Solaris. On the operating-system level, Janus will operate as an optional kernel service of Solaris, the company said at the summer Linuxworld introduction of the technology.

However, Glenn Weinberg, vice president of Sun's operating platforms group, said that one of the problems with this was that many Linux binaries had dependencies built in for the environment on which they were meant to run.
Full story...

Source : eWeek
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Sun Readies New Solaris Push, Snipes At Linux ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI