CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 648 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/1/2002 2:26:39 PM   
pmcx9

quote:

pmcx9 ,I have already upgraded to the latest firmware.With the original firmware the burner would work maybe 6 times out of 8. At least with the newer firmware now I know all the pc needs is a cold boot to start the burner working every time.Also your comment re:
"I always set my LiteOn's up as a secondary slave using the middle of the ide cable to connect with nothing as master." Isn"t the middle of the cable supposed to be hooked to a master device ?

ata100 cable - blue in controller, black in master, grey in slave

@warb n1

@pgroves I disable imapi in services, and have the hd and cdrw on different controllers wherever possible. Also try a different brand of media and burn at half usual speed to see if this helps in eliminating problems

Edited by - pmcx9 on 02/01/2002 14:39:44

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 33
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/1/2002 6:12:41 PM   
jackthelad

friends i have read all your problems and solutions with interest , being the proud owner of the biggest load of crap this century so far " the liteon ltr-24102B " i have had the trouble of no disc staying inside the writer (even pre recorded audio) for more than 10 seconds before being spat to the floor in disgust.

the solution i found worked for me was to power down the pc , remove cdrw from tower , then shake unit violently for 15 seconds ensuring it hit nothing mid-shake. then after reinstalling the unit "hey presto " it works fine ...... well for now anyway.

i dont have an ABIT motherboard by the way and i am running nero 5.5 which was supplied with the unit. i run a celeron 700 cpu on a qdi motherboard with 128k of ram.

dont know what started the glitch but if it happens again i will be taking the thing back.

hope this helps anyone

love and light

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 34
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/2/2002 8:29:46 AM   
RobsTV

jackthelad,
If you still have problems and decide to send it back, Newegg has a ton of Plextor 24x CDRW's in the refurbished section, real cheap ($110-$125). You will then get the quality you should expect. Uhhhh, wait a minute. If they are refurb, then doesn't that mean they too failed? And with LiteOn drives selling 10 to 1 over Plextors (due to price, OEM, and rebadged), wouldn't you think there would be 10x more LiteOn's than Plextors offered in the refurb section? Newegg does list the 24x LiteOn in the refurb section, (priced at $55), but never show any in stock, (unlike the Plextor refurbs). Maybe you would be better off trying to find a solution for your LiteOn, or if it has failed, exchange it for another LiteOn. Based on Newegg's refurb stock and new sales, LiteOn appears to be more problem free.

Edited by - RobsTV on 02/02/2002 08:33:56

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 35
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/2/2002 4:20:26 PM   
jackthelad

quote:

friends i have read all your problems and solutions with interest , being the proud owner of the biggest load of crap this century so far " the liteon ltr-24102B " i have had the trouble of no disc staying inside the writer (even pre recorded audio) for more than 10 seconds before being spat to the floor in disgust.

the solution i found worked for me was to power down the pc , remove cdrw from tower , then shake unit violently for 15 seconds ensuring it hit nothing mid-shake. then after reinstalling the unit "hey presto " it works fine ...... well for now anyway.

i dont have an ABIT motherboard by the way and i am running nero 5.5 which was supplied with the unit. i run a celeron 700 cpu on a qdi motherboard with 128k of ram.

dont know what started the glitch but if it happens again i will be taking the thing back.

hope this helps anyone

love and light

well friends thanks for the advice but i have asked for a returns authorisation number and it will soon be winging its merry way back to the great cdrw scrapheap in the sky.

as you can tell the "thing " died again today and i wont be giving it the kiss of life again... they may fob me off with another two weeks of annnoyment by sending a replacement but to be honest i would just like a hastle free life with no coasters and no glitches.

i think i'll steer clear of "cheap" makes in future. as my mate says " BUY SH**E , BUY TWICE". so i think it will be a tried and tested plextor for me.

nice talking to you all have fun with your writing and enjoy it while its good

love and light

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 36
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/2/2002 7:19:53 PM   
Warb

If you go to the liteon site,in discussion,you will find a fix for when cd's keep popping out.A guy called brian ,this worked for me and my burner now accepts all cd's.......

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 37
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/2/2002 11:32:14 PM   
sniper

hey warb ,liteon must"ve cleaned out their database as I couldn"t find the fix you"re referring to ..Wanna share it with us ???
thanks muchly

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 38
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/3/2002 9:52:09 AM   
Warb

ok sniper here goes.....
First power down pc
next unplug ide connector and power from burner.
then jumper pins 4 and 6 on the 3 pin array .
(As you look at the pins on the back of the burner
first 2 on the left are cs the next two are master ,and the next two are slave.You have to jumper the bottom 2pins on the right hand side,as you look at them.)Hope thats plain enough.
next plug power back in and insert an audio cd,the drive should recognize it.power down,put jumper back where it was originally(Master or slave)plug ide back in,reboot.........Thats it!
This worked for me ,hope it works for you.....
My burner is a 16x10x40,but this fix works with a 24x10x40 too..

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 39
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/3/2002 7:32:19 PM   
sniper

thanks m8 , will give it a go !

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 40
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/5/2002 4:27:39 PM   
JuveDuke

doesn't work for me on KR7, oh well. Good thing I ordered newegg.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 41
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/5/2002 8:26:32 PM   
sniper

thanks a million warb ! The pin trick worked an absolute treat.
After trying every suggested fix on this forum I"ve finally had success with your tip. Would be interesting if someone can explain why it worked eh ???

Edited by - sniper on 02/05/2002 20:28:49

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 42
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/6/2002 2:30:32 AM   
Herbie Hynd

quote:

This is what fixed my problem which was the same as your problem of the CD not staying shut. First, unplug the computer from the wall, then take a glass with 1 part lemon juice and 1 part olive oil and soak the metal prongs in the mixture for 1hour. After the hour rinse the prongs in a solution of 1 part baking soda or sodium bicarbonate and follow that with a quick rinse with distilled water. Pat dry carefully.

Then coat the prongs with a dab of Preparation H ointment (generic brand ok as long as it has shark liver oil). Then very carefully insert the cord into the wall outlet pushing firmly but gently, do NOT spread the prongs.

Turn on the computer and Voila! The tray ejects easily. If this doesn't work your drive is shot, no good, kaput, sell, give, trash, whatever.

And I would like to thank you Mr Titanium for your fix. I followed your instructions to the letter. Even took special pains to get the real Preparation H, no generic for me, NO SIR! Worked like a champ. I don't know what it is about that stuff but it does the trick!.

Thanks again. Where in the hell did you get that idea anyway?

Herbie Hynd

Vagitarians Live Longest - Enjoy Life Eat Out More Often!

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 43
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/6/2002 2:39:39 AM   
Herbie Hynd

quote:

quote:

hope this helps anyone

love and light

well friends thanks for the advice but i have asked for a returns authorisation number and it will soon be winging its merry way back to the great cdrw scrapheap in the sky.

as you can tell the "thing " died again today and i wont be giving it the kiss of life again... they may fob me off with another two weeks of annnoyment by sending a replacement but to be honest i would just like a hastle free life with no coasters and no glitches.

i think i'll steer clear of "cheap" makes in future. as my mate says " BUY SH**E , BUY TWICE". so i think it will be a tried and tested plextor for me.

love and light

Dude, I want to tell you after reading some of the stupid immature posts on this forum your solution is not only logical and well reasoned but enlightening as well. A true breath of fresh air. People don't seem to realize here that Liteon is phucking them over and laughing all the way to the bank. Sure the drive does copy protection but look I mean really look at all the problems!

I can't blame you for dumping the cheap, poorly designed drive and going with the elegant and quality Plextor. I have 5 of the top brands of burners and I gotta tell ya, Plextor is the greatest. Anyway, it's good to know that not everyone that comes to this forum is a sucker with a capital S. Good job, you found the best fix for the Liteon yet - Get Rid of IT.

Herbie Hynd

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 44
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/6/2002 2:30:39 PM   
jackthelad

quote:

quote:

quote:

hope this helps anyone

love and light

love and light

Dude, I want to tell you after reading some of the stupid immature posts on this forum your solution is not only logical and well reasoned but enlightening as well. A true breath of fresh air. People don't seem to realize here that Liteon is phucking them over and laughing all the way to the bank. Sure the drive does copy protection but look I mean really look at all the problems!

I can't blame you for dumping the cheap, poorly designed drive and going with the elegant and quality Plextor. I have 5 of the top brands of burners and I gotta tell ya, Plextor is the greatest. Anyway, it's good to know that not everyone that comes to this forum is a sucker with a capital S. Good job, you found the best fix for the Liteon yet - Get Rid of IT.

Herbie Hynd

thanks herbie for your agreement, i finally got a returns number and it will be dumped back in the arms of the seller in about 3 days.
once my money is returned i WILL buy a better unit, maybe a plextor 8 speed, as i am sure it will be a lot qicker AND more reliable than the liteon sh*te ive just dumped.

ps i can scratch better cds with my fingernails than a liteon....

take heed DON'T buy one theyre sh*te

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 45
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/7/2002 9:44:00 AM   
Einstein

Wow so many probs with trays. Not everyone has had this prob though right? I haven't... yet... touch wood... Hope I don't either. I have such a low power supply as well. 110W!!!!!!!! Lol... ah well... If only I had enough IDE cables to plug into a DVD ROM as well, wanna see how they will work together. But ah well.

One prob I do have though is that when I leave a CD in there for a while... even with InCD uninstalled, it slows down the comp, and the comp starts to hack... It's strange... then I hear the LiteOn CDR go erk erk erk... or something, as if it's trying to read the disk again and again (even though it has been read already and info displayed), although I have auto read and all that disabled... strange stuff...

E=MC^2

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 46
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/8/2002 8:13:02 AM   
AnimeVagabond

I actually had the exact opposite problem, in that my 24X Liteon would not eject when pressing the eject button or by giving it the eject command in windows. I had to keep forcing the tray out with the manual pinhole, but I just upgraded to the latest firmware and it seems to have solved the problem (for now at least the problem is somewhat sparatic). I think that the initial firmware might have problems with certain motherboards and/or power supply routines.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 47
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/8/2002 12:42:09 PM   
northernmonkey

apparently this problem could be due to insufficient power, I feel my rig is underpowered (300watt psu, 2 burners, 3 hd's) and have had both problems with the 24x lite-on both the drawer opening on its own and also it not being detected on boot up

see this link

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/installation.htm#What%20hardware%20issues%20should%20I%20be%20aware%20of?

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI